PDA

View Full Version : Valentino Rossi to test monthly at Ferrari

oddlycalm
09-02-05, 03:52 PM
While we have discussed MotoGP champion Rossi's tests with Ferrari on the Other forum under various MotoGP threads, the time seems to have come to bring the discussion to the F1 board. Rossi will be testing monthly, and it now appears that he is one of several strategies for the post-Schumacher era. He's also the great-italian-hope I imagine, but that's only natural for an Italian team.

After three tests Ross Brawn said "He is already as quick as an F1 driver in the slow corners and it is just a question of him now getting used to the braking in the high-speed corners." Brawn went on to say, "I think the thing that's difficult to give Valentino in the shorter term is four-wheel racing experience. I think you can see very clear that he's got the ability to drive a car quickly." One thing for certain, with six world championships and 67 grand prix victories under his belt, winning races is something Rossi understands well.

Some speculate that Ferrari could be planning to line up Rossi and McLaren's Kimi Raikkonen in a dream team for 2007 if World Champion Michael Schumacher retires. "It's a nice ring to the names isn't it, Raikkonen and Rossi," Brawn added.

For me the biggest question isn't who will drive after MS leaves but rather how much of the current team will remain.

oc

RichK
09-02-05, 05:31 PM
Hm. Although this will be interesting to watch, I don't see success coming from Rossi & Ferrari. Schumacher brought the right people & discipline to Ferrari, and that ethic may well leave when he does. This smacks of an emotional decision rather than a decision based on finding the best driver, and I predict mid-pack finishes.

It will be great entertainment!

MotoGP without Rossi will be tough.

Redwing
09-02-05, 06:00 PM
The interesting thing about Rossi is that he started as a kart racer. IIRC, he said in an interview recently that the only reason he went into bikes is that he could afford to step up in bikes, but not cars.

Don Quixote
09-02-05, 06:36 PM
Seems that F1 would sell 50,000 more tickets for each race, especially in the motogp hotbeds.

TorontoWorker
09-06-05, 09:13 AM
I think the item that everyone is overlooking is this: FIAT will be selling Ferrari soon, within the next two years. Their floating of Ferrari shares never made it to market and they need the money.

MS has the money to buy this team right now. The IPO at one time was around $230US.

Marlboro have just signed a new agreement good through 2011 - and no one knows why they did this given current and future euro laws.

However: Rumor has it that Marlboro is going to rebrand their ciggie packages with the prancing horse right on the front.

Perhaps....

- MS retires at the end of his current contract next year and then...
- Buys 51% of the team with the rest Marlboro money.
- There is no current law that prevents tobbaco from just striping off decals and keeping the brand paint job on the car. Why not just remove the name Marlboro off the ciggie packs to match the cars look???

I can't see Marlboro spending any sort of money on this team through 2011 with Todt, Brawn, Byrne, and Shue gone unless... MS remains with the team in an owner/manager postion with perhaps Brawn staying as well. Todt will retire and Rory has retired two or three times and will perhaps this time mean it.

I see a new designer *imported* with all new drivers and Shumie whipping them into shape. I can see them targeting Kimi for sure as one of the drivers.

Ok, crystal ball mode to *off* postion now. :)