PDA

View Full Version : The Aristocrats

devilmaster
09-02-05, 01:14 AM
:rofl:

So, myself and two friends decide to make the trek to see the movie. I waited patiently to see if it would show here in Windsor, and it seems the nearest theatre in Canada to show it is in Toronto!(4 hours away) Thankfully, our American friends have a few theatres that are showing it, so we drive out a half hour to a theatre in Detroit to see it.

And I'm soooo happy I did. :thumbup:

This movie is not for everyone. I read a review that sums it up nicely - If you are offended by ANYTHING, don't go see this movie.

For those who might not have heard about it, this movie is a 90 minute documentary about a joke. Its a joke that has never been told to the public, but a joke that comedians recite amongst themselves in a game of one-up-manship and comraderie.

The joke isn't even funny. If you read any review of it, you know i'm not spoiling it by giving the basis of the joke - A man walks into a talent agency, claiming to have this great new family act. The agent goes, OK, what do you do? The man describes the act, after which the agent asks, what is the name of this? And the man responds 'The Aristocrats!'.

In that section above that is italicized, those 5 words, 'the man describes the act' is where the comedian has free reign to go nuts. And some do. Think dirty. Think bad. And then, forget all that, cause they all do worse. [hint: The south park retelling of the joke was leaked on the 'net before the movie came out. If you look for it, you'll find it. Disclaimer: don't blame me if you watch it and are so offended you recreate the shower scene from 'the crying game'... i warned you ]

We had 4 or 5 people walk out on this movie when we saw it. Its that dirty. But if you can last, I think you'll be treated to one hell of a good movie. Its the ultimate inside joke.

The best bits in my mind were:
South park with a quick machine gun delivery
Sarah Silverman for doing it in a way that can be extremely vile and extremely sexy
Gilbert Gottfried for outing the joke at a friar's club roast when his 9/11 joke bombed bad
Billy the Mime!
Carlin just because its Carlin

Anyone else see it? I may go back to see it again, which is high praise from me......

Dvdb
09-02-05, 10:49 AM
Sarah Silverman is hot.

I'm waiting for the DVD. Apparently the outtakes, per the editor, are even funnier.

devilmaster
09-02-05, 12:51 PM
Sarah Silverman is hot.

I'm waiting for the DVD. Apparently the outtakes, per the editor, are even funnier.

1) Absolutely yes. And her dating of Jimmy Kimmel gives all of us overweight ugly guys some hope... ;)

2) I am sooo first in line when this dvd comes out. They had 40 hours of material they whittled down to 88 minutes. Most of it was interviews with legends. The director, Paul Provenza, according to Penn's blog, kept saying the words 'DVD xtras' :)

And this movie officially shows I have no patience. Went to see it last night in suburbia Detroit because i didn't think it was coming to windsor. Well, guess what starts today in one of the smaller theatres in town.... yep. :laugh: Which is ok, cause i'm going to see it again this weekend.

Ankf00
09-02-05, 01:23 PM
1) Absolutely yes. And her dating of Jimmy Kimmel gives all of us overweight ugly guys some hope... ;)

yeaaaa... but Kimmel's funny funny, you're more canuckistani funny... :D

nrc
09-02-05, 09:08 PM
You know, it seemed kind of tame to me...

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/6305784116.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

theunions
09-02-05, 09:28 PM
The joke isn't even funny.

Which is why the very premise of the entire film makes no sense whatsoever, and hence the fact that "the comedian has free reign to go nuts" has no value or relevance.

But...when you say "South Park," do you literally mean Stan, Kyle, Cartman and Kenny? If so, I may want to find a clip online showing JUST that.

rosawendel
09-03-05, 09:00 AM
Which is why the very premise of the entire film makes no sense whatsoever, and hence the fact that "the comedian has free reign to go nuts" has no value or relevance.

But...when you say "South Park," do you literally mean Stan, Kyle, Cartman and Kenny? If so, I may want to find a clip online showing JUST that.

south park aristocrats joke (parental discretion advised) (http://www.cartmanthearistocrat.com/)

devilmaster
09-03-05, 04:47 PM

The premise of the movie isn't how 100 people tell the same joke.

For me, (as an example) I like stand up as much as I like Champcar. I follow it, watch it whenever I can, go to clubs when I can, etc.etc.etc.

What I got out of this movie was 100 or so great comedians talking about the business, through the format of the aristocrats joke. Much like learning more of CC by watching Dangerous Curves, or any discovery show on the tech side of the series.

Now that really isn't for everyone. But that's what I got out of it. It was interesting to hear the history of it, how its told men vs women, white vs. black. The movie is about stand-up comedy in general - this one joke being the vehicle to tell that story.

SteveH
09-03-05, 09:07 PM
I've heard that Bob Saget's rendition is exceptional, as much as I find that hard to believe. Is it?

And yeah, this is a must DVD to own. :thumbup:

devilmaster
09-03-05, 10:22 PM
I've heard that Bob Saget's rendition is exceptional, as much as I find that hard to believe. Is it?

If you can, go see it for yourself.... I'll only say that I was howling with laughter....

CARTNUT
09-06-05, 03:56 AM
I'm taking my mom to see it tomorrow night. She likes comedies.

BTW - It's refreshing to see a movie like this come out. Hopefully all that PC crap from the 90's is on its way out for good 'cuz I'm really tired of being an altitudinally disadvantaged, follicularly challenged, motivationally dispossessed, person of substance.

'NUT :gomer:

chop456
09-06-05, 07:08 AM
follicularly challenged, motivationally dispossessed, person of substance.

I'm sorry to hear of your condition. :(

Fortunately, I'm just fat, lazy and balding with poor reading comprehension.

I'll be seeing this one out on DVD for sure. Penn's a genius. If you get the chance, check out his book "Cruel Tricks For Dear Friends" :thumbup:

JoeBob
09-06-05, 03:36 PM
Saw it over the weekend. It was funny, but I didn't love it.

For theunions, it isn't the same joke being told 100 times in a row (although that would be an interesting movie!) It is a documentary about the joke, that includes about 100 tellings of the joke. Very few of the tellings are told start to finish in a single set of clips. You'll get bits and pieces of them throughout. (The southpark telling one that is shown start to finish.)

I thought it was missing something, but I'm not quite sure what. There are interesting storylines that could be put together from everything they had, but it really seemed to be lacking in that aspect.

I think that happens with a lot of documentaries. They have a good concept, great footage, and then rush to get a movie out.

Also, if there's a group of people not suited to have their faces blown up to the size of a movie screen, it would be stand up comics. Holy Haggard, Batman!

devilmaster
01-25-06, 11:34 PM
Just bought the DVD. :D

fourrunner
01-26-06, 12:16 AM
Me To !!

Review to follow !! :)

devilmaster
05-11-06, 12:53 AM
I just was watching the dvd again and it reminded me of this thread....

i'm really bummed now...... I would have loved to find out what 4rnr thought of it. :(

Warlock!
05-11-06, 07:34 AM
I just was watching the dvd again and it reminded me of this thread....

i'm really bummed now...... I would have loved to find out what 4rnr thought of it. :(
I saw that it's on DirecTV PPV right now as well. Prolly catch it this weekend.