PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Stuff on IRL Engine Supply Rules/Costs

JoeBob
03-14-03, 12:31 PM
Larry Cahill posted some interesting stuff over at TF:

http://66.223.17.243/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=024843

Both Honda and Toyota are charging $600,000 to LEASE motors for a "one off, Indy only" effort. Add that to the $500,000 you'll need to get two NEW cars from either Dallara or G-Force and you're looking at over a million just to show up!
That my friends is why there will not be any Indy only teams in May.
And yes, you can get engines cheaper from GM and run in the back. You think the guy/corporation that gave you the $1,000,000 wants to be a back marker for one race?

To answer your questions:
1. You get at many as you need for a one car effort at $600,000. (I dont have the price if you plan on running two)
2. It's an Indy only deal, no rebuilds are required. All motors go back to T or H.
3. Break the motor...T or H eat it, after all it belongs to them.
4. Yes.

Just so you know, the lease program for the entire season runs around 1-1/2 million.
And, yes, you can buy the motors. What you'd be getting is the "base" motor which complies with the mandated IRL formula.
If you want the "good parts" on your motor, you have to lease. That's how T and H keep their development to themselves as best they can.
If you are old enough to remember, back in the eighties Ford and Chevrolet had a small problem with their "secrets" being traded off. I believe Patrick Racing was involved. After that, is when these lease deals became the norm.
I hope I've answered your questions.

:eek:

pchall
03-14-03, 01:00 PM
Wasn't it Ilmor and Chevy that started the leasing deals when Patrick shipped a Chevy A to Alfa Romeo to evaluate when he got involved in their CART program?

DaveL
03-14-03, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by pchall
Wasn't it Ilmor and Chevy that started the leasing deals when Patrick shipped a Chevy A to Alfa Romeo to evaluate when he got involved in their CART program?

Yep.

And T&H will sell you a base engine, but in order to get a one you have to lease and you can't touch the engine. Remember when the Lemmings told me that the Dave's House Of Honda Horsepower model would never be tolerated by the IRL?

I can't wait to hear the Spin on this one about how all of this is still consistant with the Vision.

Hot Rod Otis
03-14-03, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by pchall

Thats also why Pat sold out to Bobby Rahal & Carl Hogan and took a "sabbatical" from C^RT for a couple of years. He couldn't get an engine lease from anybody, nobody trusted him.

sundaydriver
03-14-03, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by DaveL
Yep.

And T&H will sell you a base engine, but in order to get a one you have to lease and you can't touch the engine. Remember when the Lemmings told me that the Dave's House Of Honda Horsepower model would never be tolerated by the IRL?

I can't wait to hear the Spin on this one about how all of this is still consistant with the Vision.

I remember reading your posts and the lemmings showed up in droves to try and argue that you would be wrong.

I wonder if Lemmings like crow? :rofl:

Hot Rod Otis
03-14-03, 01:58 PM
Being a lemming is never having to admit you, or more importantly, that Anton was ever, EVER wrong.

I was browsing @ TF the other day and saw several of the usual suspects claiming that sure the sport and the 500 are in a bit of trouble right now. But that if Tony hadn't acted when he did, things would be EVEN WORSE now. That to me has got to be the furthest stretch I've seen in a while. They seem to be getting more and more desperate in their justifications for the Tony's tantrum.

mnkywrch
03-15-03, 08:41 AM
You're sure that's Larry Cahill?

I'm not - not yet, anyways.

I thought about quizzing the guy to make sure...

1) if I was going to run a professional racing team, I would hire the following to run my PR:

a) a PR professional who I would have to pay
b) college students still learning who work for free

2) If I was doing Indy as a one-off, and I had one car with no spomsors, I would spend large amounts of money on one of the following:

a) a fancy paint job
b) making sure the car is assembled such that it doesn't fall apart on the driver in the middle of Turn 3

3) If I lined up a sponsor, I would make sure I was paid in

a) cash
b) stock options

DaveL
03-15-03, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by Hot Rod Otis
I was browsing @ TF the other day and saw several of the usual suspects claiming that sure the sport and the 500 are in a bit of trouble right now. But that if Tony hadn't acted when he did, things would be EVEN WORSE now.

I saw that. What they are saying is akin to arguing that it was a good thing the Titanic hit that iceberg because the eggs that were going to be served for breakfast the next morning really needed some salt and the batch of orange juice they made was kinda bland.