PDA

View Full Version : hey pressdog!

G.
08-29-05, 03:32 PM
http://pressdog.blogspot.com/

You missed the CC race. Rick Benjamin used the phrase "turn the trick" as well. Must be watching the earlers too.

Also, from another message board, "Did I just imagine this, or did Mr. Harris actually say towards the end of the race that "Tony Kanaan started 3rd but has fought his way up to 11th?""

Wheel-Nut
08-29-05, 04:09 PM
The local ABC sports here in Houston were showing the earl highlights while describing the CC race!! :rofl: Idiots!

pressdog
08-29-05, 04:16 PM
http://pressdog.blogspot.com/

You missed the CC race. Rick Benjamin used the phrase "turn the trick" as well. Must be watching the earlers too.

Also, from another message board, "Did I just imagine this, or did Mr. Harris actually say towards the end of the race that "Tony Kanaan started 3rd but has fought his way up to 11th?""

God he did say that. I think I even have it in my notes and overlooked it. I'll have to add it in when I get home. My fav Todd-ism was that Rice is not known as a "road race courser." (I think he was going for "road course racer.") Not a great race for Todd. He was much better at Pikes Peak.

WTF with "turn the trick?" Is it just me or does that me to have sex for money?

RichK
08-29-05, 04:23 PM
Great, stuff, pressdog!

Todd-n-Scott have to be the worst racing announcers.....ever.

My highlight was "Wheldon has stopped on the track".....followed by Scott's giant crayon circle on the screen around Wheldon's car, like we couldn't tell which car had stopped on the track. :laugh:

oddlycalm
08-29-05, 04:33 PM
My fav Todd-ism was that Rice is not known as a "road race courser."
-snip-
WTF with "turn the trick?" Is it just me or does that me to have sex for money? That's ok, Todd's not known as a race race announcer either. ;)

Only a guess, but the phrase "turn the trick" probably came from one of the "dumb-is-cool" NASCAR announcers and both Todd and Rick Benjamin are just doing what they think it takes to get to the big leagues of calling stock car races. Then again, they may just be morons. :gomer:

Good blog as always pressdog. :thumbup:

oc

oddlycalm
08-29-05, 04:45 PM
My highlight was "Wheldon has stopped on the track".....followed by Scott's giant crayon circle on the screen around Wheldon's car, like we couldn't tell which car had stopped on the track. :laugh: The funniest part of the announcing for me was one of ommission. The fact that they didn't once raise the issue of why that wanker Wheldon actually parked his dead car on the race track on a downhill section that would have allowed him to coast to multiple safe locations was one of the most stunning pieces of race announcing I've ever witnessed. Todd 'n' Scott treated it like it was routine and never speculated as to why Brainfart didn't penalize Wheldon for interupting the race. Maybe Wheldon didn't want to get his shoes dirty...? :laugh:

oc

G.
08-29-05, 05:04 PM
It's not just you, pressdog. "Turning tricks" means having sex for money.

If there were more guys named John in the league, we could have a highlight reel for the ages!

Gnam
08-29-05, 06:00 PM
When I got to the part about Wheldon's crew throwing the water bottle at him, I couldn't stop laughing. :laugh:

fourrunner
08-29-05, 07:39 PM
It's not just you, pressdog. "Turning tricks" means having sex for money.

If there were more guys named John in the league, we could have a highlight reel for the ages!

Sports Announcers have "Expense Accounts" it's usually turned in as " Road Snacks" !! ;)

pressdog
08-30-05, 09:38 AM
When I got to the part about Wheldon's crew throwing the water bottle at him, I couldn't stop laughing. :laugh:
It's possible it just fell out of some holder or something off screen, but ABC/ESNP didn't show the wide shot so it looked like someone chucked it. I LOVED the slow-mo of it. If Wheldon makes that grab it's an instant ESPY contender.

TravelGal
08-31-05, 01:33 AM
Isn't this the show that started, "Welcome to Sonoma, the home of Napa?" :rolleyes: Sorta stalled there for me.

edit: thanks for G. for mentioning the rapid rise of de nose from 3rd to 11th. I was sure I heard that but being half asleep by that time........

Also, "turn the trick" was used very commonly in my parent's generation to mean get something done or accomplished. No big sexual reference, which should not stop us from having lots of fun with it anyway.

Gnam
08-31-05, 01:45 AM
Also, "turn the trick" was used very commonly in my parent's generation to mean get something done or accomplished. No big sexual reference, which should not stop us from having lots of fun with it anyway.
Isn't it a card playing term from bridge or sumpthin?

Still it's annoying.

pchall
08-31-05, 07:49 AM
Isn't it a card playing term from bridge or sumpthin?

Still it's annoying.

In bridge you "take a trick".

TKGAngel
08-31-05, 01:42 PM
It's possible it just fell out of some holder or something off screen, but ABC/ESNP didn't show the wide shot so it looked like someone chucked it. I LOVED the slow-mo of it. If Wheldon makes that grab it's an instant ESPY contender.

Its still funny no matter how it happened. Did anyone else notice the repetitive mentions of the Andretti whinery? That thing must've gotten at least 15 mentions during the broadcast.

My favorite part of the broadcast - and by favorite I mean part I want to stick my knitting needles in my eye at - was when Scott Goodyear actually said "now I'm going to explain what a local yellow is." Someone should tell him that if a race fan knows what a yellow flag does, and has the 3rd grade education to understand what the word local means, then they should be able to figure out what a local yellow is! But then, the IRL does appeal to the lowest common denominator, so that 3rd grade education may be in doubt.

Wabbit
08-31-05, 02:12 PM
Its still funny no matter how it happened. Did anyone else notice the repetitive mentions of the Andretti whinery? That thing must've gotten at least 15 mentions during the broadcast.

My favorite part of the broadcast - and by favorite I mean part I want to stick my knitting needles in my eye at - was when Scott Goodyear actually said "now I'm going to explain what a local yellow is." Someone should tell him that if a race fan knows what a yellow flag does, and has the 3rd grade education to understand what the word local means, then they should be able to figure out what a local yellow is! But then, the IRL does appeal to the lowest common denominator, so that 3rd grade education may be in doubt.

Wiht the all-oval series, there aren't local yellows. This is a new concept this year for them.

Steve99
08-31-05, 02:30 PM
I wasn't paying very close attention, but wasn't Scotti actually trying to describe a full course yellow?

oddlycalm
08-31-05, 04:31 PM
Isn't this the show that started, "Welcome to Sonoma, the home of Napa?" :rolleyes: Thanks, that's a classic. I was still watching the CCWS race so I missed that particular gem. What's next, welcome to Indiana, home of Ohio and Michigan...? :gomer: Guess it's not just the fans that are illiterate morons.

oc