PDA

View Full Version : Servia gets a win!

spinner26
08-28-05, 03:50 PM
Earned or not Servia is the winner! Glock should not have cut the corner.

coolhand
08-28-05, 03:59 PM
I am happy for servia, but feel bad for glock, he tried everything o hold servia off

P2P was a big factor at the end

TurboTodd
08-28-05, 04:02 PM
Possible spoiler for those that record the race?

NismoZ
08-28-05, 04:06 PM
EARNED!...best pit crew in the business!...Hear that, PitCrewGuy!? :) :D :thumbup:

NismoZ
08-28-05, 04:09 PM
PS...Sorry, TT, it's a live race...fair game. I'm not aware of any "post delay" rules in that case? Am I bad?

Fio1
08-28-05, 04:12 PM
Servia made the pass, Glock should have held his line and not gone 4 off. Great race by both of them either way. :cool:

NismoZ
08-28-05, 04:16 PM
TRUE, but (this is fun) who do you think would have won if Glock had actually stayed in the track!? I had visions of 1 and 2 taking each other out! :D

trish
08-28-05, 04:18 PM
I am happy for servia, but feel bad for glock, he tried everything o hold servia off

P2P was a big factor at the end
Except going faster. :laugh:

coolhand
08-28-05, 04:19 PM
glock could of repassed servia if he let him go earlier, the only reason Servia got close was because he was using P2P, ater he exausted it glock looked faster

JohnnyQ
08-28-05, 04:25 PM
Servia should have been put back for his bull***** pass on Wilson. Champcar central f's it up again. Hat's off to Glock (you win). :shakehead

NismoZ
08-28-05, 04:27 PM
And a PS...do you think the "TYPE OF TRACK" had anything to do with this? I have a hard time believing this kind of race would have taken place on any of those 150,000+ attended street events. AND...do you think the AJ penalty was assessed AFTER they figured out he could actually win the race BECAUSE of his "misfortune?" That pit-closed rule was invented for a reason...that was IT! I think the shot of Gentilozzi shaking his head and looking down said it all...He knew! But, way to go Timo and Servia. ChampCar NEEDS races like this!

NismoZ
08-28-05, 04:34 PM
Regarding "Servia's BS pass on Wilson", I tend to agree...I thought the right thing to do would have been to put Bourdais ahead of BOTH of them because he actually stayed on the track! :D , then put Wilson back in front of Servia because, hell, I don't know, he ran him OFF the track? :gomer: THEN we'd have had a Glock win, because Bourdais would not have risked a dangerous pass to risk a fairly certain 2nd? Man, all kinds of stuff to think about on this one! Fun race to watch.

coolhand
08-28-05, 04:35 PM
And a PS...do you think the "TYPE OF TRACK" had anything to do with this? I have a hard time believing this kind of race would have taken place on any of those 150,000+ attended street events. AND...do you think the AJ penalty was assessed AFTER they figured out he could actually win the race BECAUSE of his "misfortune?" That pit-closed rule was invented for a reason...that was IT! I think the shot of Gentilozzi shaking his head and looking down said it all...He knew! But, way to go Timo and Servia. ChampCar NEEDS races like this!

good points, the best curcuits so far have provided the best races.

NismoZ
08-28-05, 04:36 PM
AND, PSS...JQ, IF Servia's pass was BS, then what was "THE pass" by Zanardi on Herta at Laguna? :D

JohnnyQ
08-28-05, 04:39 PM
Regarding "Servia's BS pass on Wilson", I tend to agree...I thought the right thing to do would have been to put Bourdais ahead of BOTH of them because he actually stayed on the track! :D , then put Wilson back in front of Servia because, hell, I don't know, he ran him OFF the track? :gomer: THEN we'd have had a Glock win, because Bourdais would not have risked a dangerous pass to risk a fairly certain 2nd? Man, all kinds of stuff to think about on this one! Fun race to watch.

How many races are these guys going to f up? No accountability. For christs sake the weather men are more consistant.

NismoZ
08-28-05, 04:48 PM
Methinks you protesteth too much and are certainly in a tiny minority, BUT I understand your angst...You a football fan? What do we do, throw a red flag and do an "instant replay"...official calls in racing are TOUGH! I just ask you to put yourself in the OTHER guy's place before you continue to explode. Ultimately it comes down to, "wasn't your decision to make." But, don't let that ruin what was actually a very good RACE! A RACE, get it?...we haven't seen a bunch of those lately! :)

JohnnyQ
08-28-05, 04:55 PM
Methinks you protesteth too much and are certainly in a tiny minority, BUT I understand your angst...You a football fan? What do we do, throw a red flag and do an "instant replay"...official calls in racing are TOUGH! I just ask you to put yourself in the OTHER guy's place before you continue to explode. Ultimately it comes down to, "wasn't your decision to make." But, don't let that ruin what was actually a very good RACE! A RACE, get it?...we haven't seen a bunch of those lately! :)

Yeah....you're right. I've got t learn to relax. Champcar central has the same footage we do. How come most of us can make the call within seconds of seeing the infraction? IMO there's to many idiots gathering to make the call.

Racing and hockey.....Football is fun when drunk. :)

coolhand
08-28-05, 04:59 PM
Yeah....you're right. I've got t learn to relax. Champcar central has the same footage we do. How come most of us can make the call within seconds of seeing the infraction? IMO there's to many idiots gathering to make the call.

Racing and hockey.....Football is fun when drunk. :)
you act like it was real claer cut, it was not

Sean O'Gorman
08-28-05, 05:04 PM
From what I saw, it was a pretty good race. Would've been interesting to see how it played out if Glock could keep it on track.

Dougrun
servia did not earn this race. it was handed to him. His pass on wilson was cut and dry, he gained position by shortcutting the chicane. Wether intentional or not, it's illegal. I agree, seb's pass was a byproduct but legal. Servia should have been moved behind wilson. That would have made it a wilson/glock battle. A tainted victory to say the least.

NismoZ
He's OK, it's over...lets think about the next great race and bask in the knowledge that WE ARE ON THE RISE! Let's talk about on-board starters, less weight, twin turbos, a few more horses and what these guys can do in '07 on a track like, say ROAD AMERICA! :D

Dr. Corkski
08-28-05, 05:11 PM
:thumbup:

Just too bad officiating had to get involved though, but at least no major whining by those involved.

NismoZ
08-28-05, 05:15 PM
I know, I was waiting for Wilson or Glock to go nuts, but they actually "played the game" and looked forward. Still a great race, though.

TKGAngel
08-28-05, 06:15 PM

Just too bad officiating had to get involved though, but at least no major whining by those involved.

Word. I was waiting for someone - anyone - to start whining over the calls being made. I noticed Ranger didn't get penalized for running over the tire, though I believe the announcers mentioned that if the officials don't see you doing it, then you can get away with it.

Did PT get penalized for running into his crewman? Nothing was ever mentioned.

Way to go Servia. Nice to see someone other than Bourdais (nothing against him, mind you), win. :thumbup:

That pass was total BS. I can still remember screaming at the TV over that one. Some one could have lost a leg over that pass.

Not cool, man. Not cool. :thumdown:

indyfan31
08-28-05, 07:57 PM
... Let's talk about on-board starters, less weight, twin turbos, a few more horses and what these guys can do in '07 on a track like, say ROAD AMERICA! :D
Don't care either way about the specs but R.A. is the place to be, the Atlantics race was excellent.

oddlycalm
08-28-05, 08:16 PM
Don't care either way about the specs but R.A. is the place to be, the Atlantics race was excellent. Yep, that was the race broadcast of the week IMO. Today's race was good however, and I though Tony Cotman did well making the calls (again). Best evidence of that was that nobody bitched after the race. To put it further into perspective, they didn't throw a 6 lap FCY because the series points leader decided to park his dead car on the race track.... :D.

oc

RTKar
08-28-05, 08:34 PM
Glock was was warned once, shouldn't have cut the corner a second time...good call by race control not to throw the black flag at him.

Sean O'Gorman
08-28-05, 08:56 PM
Oh yeah, congrats to Oriol. Finally winning something in 21st century means he no longer shares company with Danica. ;)

Fitti Fan
08-28-05, 09:02 PM

Celebrating Corkster?

Jervis Tetch 1
08-28-05, 09:12 PM
Oriol! :thumbup:

Badger
08-28-05, 09:18 PM
Hey, back when all of us were on Seventh Gear, I said this guy was another Christian Fittipaldi and after a half dozen years, he lucked into (or was gifted) a victory. Congrats, but his pass on Wilson should not have been allowed because Wilson could have made the corner but went straight to prevent a crash.

JoeBob
08-28-05, 09:24 PM
Good run for cookie boy! I thought Timo's move was BS, but I was very impressed with his post-race interview. He didn't whine, he explained that he did it twice, and they penalized him for it. Very mature. A lot of drivers would have been moaning about the officiating.

As for Zanardi's pass in the corkscrew - it was legal at the time. However, following that pass, the rulebook was changed to say that if you go off course to improve your position, you must give up the position.

Accipiter
08-28-05, 09:25 PM
Congrats, but his pass on Wilson should not have been allowed because Wilson could have made the corner but went straight to prevent a crash.

Fact!

I can't believe Wilson wasn't furious after the race. Probably just has too much class to take his issues up in front of a TV camera.

Badger
08-28-05, 09:32 PM
Good run for cookie boy! I thought Timo's move was BS, but I was very impressed with his post-race interview. He didn't whine, he explained that he did it twice, and they penalized him for it. Very mature. A lot of drivers would have been moaning about the officiating.

As for Zanardi's pass in the corkscrew - it was legal at the time. However, following that pass, the rulebook was changed to say that if you go off course to improve your position, you must give up the position.

Apparently the stewards missed Oriols pass on Wilson today. Unless of course the rulebook allows shortcutting the course one time. :rolleyes:

rabbit
08-28-05, 10:51 PM
The difference with Servia shortcutting the course vs. Glock shortcutting the course: Glock was warned and still did it a second time.

For as much non-stop action as there was on the track today I thought Cotman & Co. did a fantastic job of letting racers race. :thumbup:

KLang
08-29-05, 09:36 AM
Great race IMO. I don't know what more we could ask for. :thumbup:

Congrats to Servia. If there was ever a question, I think this assures him a job in Champ Car for next year.

Tough break for AJ. Without the puncture he would have been in the thick of things at the end.

RaceGrrl
08-29-05, 09:59 AM
I'm happy for Oriol, but would have liked it not to have been a 'gimme' win. Cottman seemed to have been watching/warning drivers after the first chicane shortcut, as Glock mentioned because he'd been warned after his first infraction. Glock was great in his post-race interview- no whining, and acknowledging that he screwed up. :thumbup:

Very interesting race.

pchall
08-29-05, 10:39 AM
Oreo Swervia!

I just had to post that again.

Too bad the outcome was decided by the officiating, especially since it looks like the Cotman rule of the day became two bads and you're out -- Cookie Boy only cut Wilson off once a bit earlier in the final segment.

NismoZ
08-29-05, 11:05 AM
"Just one o' them racin' deals."?... :gomer:

cameraman
08-29-05, 03:24 PM
Fact!

I can't believe Wilson wasn't furious after the race. Probably just has too much class to take his issues up in front of a TV camera.

He had a reason not to be mad. This post from a different forum explains it quite well.

I went back and rewatched the Servia/Wilson incident on Race Director. Having seen the replays a few times I'm now convinced the officials made the right call. Servia certainly did overcook it and come straight through. However, Wilson did the exact same thing. He carried too much speed in and had no chance to make the corner, same as Servia. The in-car camera shot is what's telling. Wilson came in locking up the brakes, tried to turn in, realized he could not make the corner and cut through. Plus Servia did NOT run him off. Servia was already clear of Wilson before Wilson tried to turn in. Both committed the same mistake of carrying too much speed and cutting the turn. In that spot you'd have to penalize both or penalize neither since they made the same mistake. Since there's no workable way to penalize them both you just have to let them both go. Good non-call by the officials.

I looked at the same things and I agree completely with his view.

Accipiter
08-29-05, 04:19 PM
Even if that is the truth of the matter, what you end up with is Servia benefiting from blowing the corner worse than Wilson did.

Justin on the other hand had a pretty flawless day. Flawless pit stops, flawless execution which actually put us out in second place after the last round of pit stops. Justin fell prey to an overly ambitious passing maneuver. Ultimately, he fell back to fourth place and then made a pass on Sebastien Bourdais to move back into third place for another podium finish for the CDW car. - Carl Russo

cameraman
08-29-05, 04:27 PM
Actually he screwed up the corner better than Wilson did...

JohnHKart
08-29-05, 05:16 PM
Possible spoiler for those that record the race?

They shouldn't be as dumb to go on a racing forum before watching. I have been in the past and got burned. Never Again!!! Still the titles should not have spoilers.

John

race chica
08-29-05, 05:46 PM
He's OK, it's over...lets think about the next great race and bask in the knowledge that WE ARE ON THE RISE! Let's talk about on-board starters, less weight, twin turbos, a few more horses and what these guys can do in '07 on a track like, say ROAD AMERICA! :D

Right on!