PDA

View Full Version : wireless music

rosawendel
08-23-05, 01:58 PM
i recently purchased a new laptop, and so i'm setting up a wireless network (i'm leaning towards linksis), and want to be able to play cd's/mp3's from my computer upstairs to the stereo downstairs (my wife doesn't like the appearance of "bookshelf" cd collection).

i'm seeing a number of "wireless media adapters" that can tie the stereo into the network, but i'm reading mixed reviews on all of them... anyone have any experience with this that could relay their thoughts? thanks.

oh, and ftg.

racer2c
08-23-05, 02:14 PM
I stream media through my modded Xbox from my workstation and laptop to my main stereo unit. Even though I have a Linksys wireless network for my laptops, I chose to hardwire my Xbox because I can also stream movies to my large screen TV from my workstation. Wireless cant'.

the retail media streamers do that without the hassle of modding an Xbox ( you can't play cool games though). But Microsoft recently released their own version of their Media Streamer for Xbox and you can get a wireless adapter for that that works with your Linksys router.
The upcoming Xbox 360 will have this streaming feature built in (along with built in wireless).
In a nutshell, you can do more with the Xbox for about the same price as you can with the set top media streamers.

devilmaster
08-23-05, 02:29 PM
I am assuming that the laptop would be connected to the stereo system through the sound jacks, and that you have a larger desktop with all your mp3's on the system upstairs.

The simplest way to do this, is by connecting a computer to your stereo system through the sound jacks, and having all your mp3's on that computer.

If your mp3's are on another puter in your house, then having a network between your two computers allows you to play mp3's that are saved on another computer to the stereo computer which then outputs it to the stereo.

The real challenge here is having a proper network of computers that can talk to each other, whether its hard wired or wireless. The computer connecting to the stereo is simply sound wires.

r2c's example uses his xbox as the stereo puter. (since that what it is)

cameraman
08-23-05, 02:31 PM
The Apple AirPort Express works wonderfully. I have ripped my entire music collection (upwards of a thousand CDs which takes quite some time to do, especially at a high bit rate) The computer is upstairs the stereo is downstairs and it has never dropped a note.

racer2c
08-23-05, 02:32 PM
Here's a link to the Xbox Media Extender. (http://www.xbox.com/en-US/hardware/xboxmediacenterextender.htm)

rosawendel
08-23-05, 03:08 PM
I am assuming that the laptop would be connected to the stereo system through the sound jacks, and that you have a larger desktop with all your mp3's on the system upstairs.

close. the desktop upstairs would house the mp3's, and that's where the router would be hooked up (thats where the printers are, also). the laptop could be anywhere. i wasn't considering it as a source for music, except as perhaps a glorified remote control for the mp3's (it's going to be for my wife, so she can use it anywhere in the house).

i'm intrigued by the airport express (funny how it didn't even come up in the amazon search.. until i looked it up by name).

indyfan31
08-23-05, 04:50 PM
Like Cameraman I have the Airport Express. The music I need is on my laptop (with an Airport Card). I can send my MP3s to the home stereo from anywhere in the house. If you have the right wireless router, iTunes will let you play MP3s stored in the desktop using the wireless laptop as the controller.

racer2c
08-23-05, 04:55 PM
What's an Apple?

rosawendel
08-23-05, 05:27 PM
If you have the right wireless router, iTunes will let you play MP3s stored in the desktop using the wireless laptop as the controller.

i was looking at a linksis.... or does the "right" router need to be , oh, i don't know, white in color with a reveal of an apple imprinted on it? :)

btw, thanks to everyone for their input.

racer2c
08-23-05, 05:34 PM
i was looking at a linksis.... or does the "right" router need to be , oh, i don't know, white in color with a reveal of an apple imprinted on it? :)

I use a linksys wireless router and so do 99% of my PC geek buddies. It's a fine product.

Turn7
08-23-05, 09:11 PM
I use a transistor radio for all my wireless music needs. :D :thumbup:

racer2c
08-23-05, 10:29 PM

:D

indyfan31
08-23-05, 10:54 PM

Nope, it doesn't have to be. There is a list of wireless routers that the airport express will play nice with; the "2WIRE" isn't one of them but I'm pretty sure most Linksys and DLink routers are. Call Apple support and they'll give you the webpage with the list so you can look up the model you want.
The only reason I suggest this because, depending on it's location, the Express can act as a "repeater" of sorts to extend the range of the wireless network in your house.

btw. I can't remember when I last heard the words "transistor radio" in the same sentence. :laugh:

skaven
08-23-05, 11:47 PM

Beat me to it. :laugh:

nrc
08-24-05, 01:22 AM
The cheaper units from NetGear and Linksys have gotten pretty mixed reviews. Here's a more expensive unit that sounds very nice.

http://www.slimdevices.com/index.html

Right now I just play from our Rio Karma which sits on the dock in our entertainment center.

I'd like to use the digital media features that TiVo has but DirecTV has chosen not to offer them.

coolhand
08-24-05, 01:42 AM
http://www.imerge.co.uk/

get an imerge, put it on your network and you can controll and manipulate it from any computer on the network.

it automatically searches for things like coverart andthings i have not found out yet.

rosawendel
08-30-05, 09:03 PM
update: i bought a linksys router, and took cameraman's advice and got an AirPort express as a media adapter. i've been able to get both to work (it does sound much better than i thought).

like i had originally wanted, the router is upstairs hooked into the desktop, and the airport express is downstairs, along with the laptop. to test it, i put a cd into the laptop and played it through itunes to the airport express. lik ei said, it does sound great, but it does stop from time to time. i wonder if that's a result of the route the music is taking to the stereo, the fact that it's playing a cd and not an mp3, bla, bla, bla...

anyway, it does work. it'll take some time to work the kinks out, which i do want to do forst, before i go filling up the desktop with mp3's from some 300 cd's...

thanks again for all the input... i'll keep you posted

KLang
08-31-05, 06:45 AM
but it does stop from time to time

Do you have any cordless phones that use a 2.4 GHz signal? We have one and it interferes with our Wifi.

Ankf00
08-31-05, 08:50 AM

pfff, transistors? why that's new-fangled hippie technology. what you needs is some o' them good ol' tubes.

http://mason.gmu.edu/~montecin/vacuum-tubes.jpg

rosawendel
08-31-05, 09:35 AM
Do you have any cordless phones that use a 2.4 GHz signal? We have one and it interferes with our Wifi.
we do, and i'm sure that my neighbors probably do also... i'm going to try different channels and see if it'll clear up. i think part of it was playing the cd thru the laptop - it had to make two jumps to the stereo (laptop to routher to stereo)...
more news as it comes...