PDA

View Full Version : Denver Post Column on Pikes Peak

skaven
08-22-05, 03:42 PM
Kiszla (http://www.denverpost.com/kiszla/ci_2961923)

Touches on attendance and the stalled-out Danicamania.

Also, supports the "bring it to the city" approach with -

If this race proved anything, it's that most Colorado sports fans will not walk across the street, let alone travel 90 minutes down the highway, to catch an eyeful of Danica.

Lastly, I'd just like to say how pleased I am that attendance wasn't what the track and the .1RL wanted. I admit I was worried that they'd get a good crowd as they promoted the hell out of the race.

As it turns out, I shouldn't have worried though. Gawd the .1RL sucks. :rofl:

Also, check out this gem by Mike Chambers (you might recall I've posted my emails to him during the Denver GP in years past trying to get him to write more critical pieces). Lastly, look where the data came from - AR1. :eek: :gomer: :thumbup:

Chambers (http://www.denverpost.com/motorsports/ci_2955035)

Andrew Longman
08-22-05, 04:20 PM
Two great pieces for a local rag, and not just because it took a shot at the IRL, but because clearly the writers took the time to actually research and learn the sport. Some (not me) might argue that they need to research the IRL POV more, but this was not recycled AP reporting and series press releases.

Aside from that I liked:

"Any game that reduces itself to a Barbie vs. Ken competition will never be taken seriously as a real sport by the same general public that stayed away from the Pikes Peak racetrack. "

That's Danica vs. Dan isn't it?

Also the list of injuries missed a concussion by I think Montiero at Cleveland last year or the year before. Someone hit the tires at the end of the airport on Saturday and had to miss the race.

skaven
08-22-05, 04:30 PM
"Any game that reduces itself to a Barbie vs. Ken competition will never be taken seriously as a real sport by the same general public that stayed away from the Pikes Peak racetrack. "

That's Danica vs. Dan isn't it?

OMG, Barbie vs. Ken is Danica vs. Dan. I didn't get that on the first read. :rofl:

RacinM3
08-22-05, 04:40 PM
Great quote in that Chambers piece:

IRL vice president John Griffin said the current league chassis were introduced before the 2003 season and likely will remain the same through the end of 2006. He said the angle the drivers sit at has not been a concern, and that Bourdais, who competes in just two Champ Car ovals a season, is no expert in IRL oval racing.

What we do every winter is work with the chassis manufacturer to update the chassis, but we're committed to this chassis through at least next year," Griffin said. "The league invests a lot of time and money into safety and we've got a lot consultants and stuff, and doctors on staff and doctors as consultants. That's what we came up with."

I swear, where does FTG find these guys?

devilmaster
08-22-05, 04:47 PM
Recovery ward after a full frontal lobotomy.

Ozarkian
08-22-05, 05:04 PM
Eloquent, ain't he?

Don Quixote
08-22-05, 05:04 PM
I admit I was worried that they'd get a good crowd as they promoted the hell out of the race.

Agreed. They promoted this race like nothing I have ever seen. The Denver sportstalk channel did remotes from there, newspaper, radio and Tv adds, billboards, you name it. This proves that it takes more than promotion, you also need a good product.

Andrew Longman
08-22-05, 05:25 PM
Agreed. They promoted this race like nothing I have ever seen. The Denver sportstalk channel did remotes from there, newspaper, radio and Tv adds, billboards, you name it. This proves that it takes more than promotion, you also need a good product.

Just curious, how does Busch, USAC and AMA draw there? Seems that paired with Winston West and MIPS it is meant to be their big event for the season. Maybe not, but Busch is paired with Midwest Autozone Racing Series or some such thing I never heard of (as if that means anything :gomer: )

IlliniRacer
08-22-05, 05:33 PM
OMG, Barbie vs. Ken is Danica vs. Dan. I didn't get that on the first read. :rofl:

Techincally wouldn't it be Barbie vs. Skipper?

cart7
08-22-05, 05:50 PM
"The league invests a lot of time and money into safety and we've got a lot consultants and stuff, and doctors on staff and doctors as consultants. That's what we came up with."

I believe it was one of the earl consultants who questioned whether the irl was willing to make the expensive modifications to the chassis to prevent further back injuries. This guys talking out of his ***. :shakehead

indyfan31
08-22-05, 07:15 PM
Give me Ignored Sports for $1,000, Alex.
This may have been the nicest thing he said in the entire article.
(Excuse me, I'm going to go check on the fireworks while trying not to "put my hand in the cage.")

oddlycalm
08-22-05, 07:42 PM
If a guy at a local paper in Denver can see through the BS and understand what's happening, then it's just a matter of time until the same thoughts are echoed elsewhere. As many here predicted, the one-time ratings bounce due to Danicle are long forgotten and the EARL is sputtering to the end of another dismal season. First it was Honda and Toyota that was going to save it, then it was all the former CART teams, then it was Danicle.... Time is running out. Toyota is taking it's money and going elsewhere leaving a sucking chest wound in the team finance area. Once last years i500 ratings prove to be a single year anomoly we can expect Honda to reconsider as well.

oc

Don Quixote
08-23-05, 09:39 AM
Just curious, how does Busch, USAC and AMA draw there? Seems that paired with Winston West and MIPS it is meant to be their big event for the season. Maybe not, but Busch is paired with Midwest Autozone Racing Series or some such thing I never heard of (as if that means anything :gomer: )
I have never gone, but a friend told me that the Busch race is a sellout, or close to it. I think the owner of that track was pineing for a cup race at one time. :gomer:

fourrunner
08-23-05, 10:13 AM

And Neither one is anatomically correct !! ;)

devilmaster
08-23-05, 10:16 AM
And Neither one is anatomically correct !! ;)

I sometimes wonder if anyone from the twirl has walked up to danica and asked her to get a boob job to help boost ratings.....

fourrunner
08-23-05, 10:23 AM
Danica & 20 Faceless Males

I was watching the post race and Dario was reading the riot act to his Crew Chief .. presumably about the Stalled Engine incident (according to the announcers) ... he was very animated, and there standing next to him was his "Hillbilly Actress" wife ...
Can you imagine the humiliation of the Crew Chief, listening to his "Primadona Driver" telling him how they messed up, and not able to respond in kind because the "Wife" is there ... who would pobably butt in with her "expert opinion" if he dared question her "smooky wooky" !

Besides I thought Dario was going to sit out if they didn't fix the "Bearing Problem" !

fourrunner
08-23-05, 10:25 AM
I sometimes wonder if anyone from the twirl has walked up to danica and asked her to get a boob job to help boost ratings.....

I bet ABC / ESPN has!!! ;)

TKGAngel
08-23-05, 12:10 PM
Danica & 20 Faceless Males

I was watching the post race and Dario was reading the riot act to his Crew Chief .. presumably about the Stalled Engine incident (according to the announcers) ... he was very animated, and there standing next to him was his "Hillbilly Actress" wife ...
Can you imagine the humiliation of the Crew Chief, listening to his "Primadona Driver" telling him how they messed up, and not able to respond in kind because the "Wife" is there ... who would pobably butt in with her "expert opinion" if he dared question her "smooky wooky" !

Besides I thought Dario was going to sit out if they didn't fix the "Bearing Problem" !

I wonder if Dario isn't happy unless he's complaining about something.

I'm sure Brainfart and the rest of the IRL mucketymucks pressured Dario into racing, that the wheelbearing situation was just a one time problem, that it would have no effect on racing. Right, until someone does a "you picked a fine time to leave me loose wheel" into the wall and is injured. :shakehead

And is it me, or does the wifey always have a "smell the fart" face about her?

Steve99
08-23-05, 03:10 PM
Extreme Makeover crossover!

And is it me, or does the wifey always have a "smell the fart" face about her?
Well, she does spend a lot of time around all those farting bees.

Jervis Tetch 1
08-23-05, 05:27 PM
:thumbup: