PDA

View Full Version : How to save the I500

Andrew Longman
08-22-05, 12:49 PM
Let's just assume for a moment that TGs intention when he started the IRL was to control and ensure a steady supply of cars for the 500 and to ensure that the best American drivers have a shot at the race.

Well, if Vision 1, 2, 3, n have failed, and inviting CCWS in certainly won't address his original concern ;) and switching the 500 to a Nascar event damages too much tradition, maybe its time for a new vision.

It's nuts, but it just might work.

If I was TG, I'd develop and buy a boatload of spec "Indy" chassis and motors. Say about 100 of them. Make 'em cheap, equal, fast and safe.

Then I'd invite the top teams from from any series he wants to lease them for the month of May and sell sponsorship. I can pick 10 from Nascar, 10 sprint guys, a few from Grandam, WoO, F1, CCWS whatever. Heck even go with WRC and NHRA.

Do practice and qualifying on a weekdays or nights if need be to avoid conflicts with other races. Let the teams tweek the cars only a little. Nothing with the motors or basic aero parameters

This would be a nice add on to any team's sponsor package and grap a lot of attention for not only the team but their series. And I'd ensure more stars at the race as well as the hoopla of the top names drivers in the world going head to head in equal cars against the "high speed dangers of IMS". It would be the ultimate race of champions.

The month would actually have some drama again because I could be sure to invite more than 33 drivers and those that I did invite would work really hard to find enough speed in theoretically equal cars to make the race. But like the old days, would also gain enough notice during the month to justify some level of sponsorship even if they don't make the race.

Call me crazy and call this astronomically expensive, but it has to make more sense and be cheaper, given his stated objectives, than what TG has done for 10 years.

Gnam
08-22-05, 12:54 PM
Everyone's busy in May.

cart7
08-22-05, 01:02 PM
Since TG owns the cars, why not provide house mechanics and merely hire the drivers from wherever he wants. He could canvas Indy area high schools and gather enough teens together to be pitcrew for a day. Why drag teams into the equation when all you'd really need are drivers and some people to care for the cars? TG could sell sidepod advertising space, the more prominant the driver, the more expensive the cost. :gomer:

racer2c
08-22-05, 01:09 PM
NASCAR has no interest in building the popularity of the Indy 500 (in allowing their star drivers to race.) Actually, I believe the Frances have been instrumental in prolonging the split. I do believe that your scenario would have worked in the past, but I don't see it working today.

cameraman
08-22-05, 01:26 PM
That is an openwheeled IROC.

I doubt anyone would care.

devilmaster
08-22-05, 01:33 PM
Its really simple. Nascar will not run at the Indy 500.

Only because that will start a NASCAR civil war. You think Bruton is going to give up the Coke 600? It ain't gonna happen folks. The France's are smart, and they know that. They get along with Bruton and Humpy because they have to.

Turn7
08-22-05, 02:05 PM
He could take all those spec cars and make them remote controlled. He could take 10 or 20 driving consoles to Charlotte and have the cup dudes drive them from there.

:gomer:

Wheel-Nut
08-22-05, 02:14 PM
TG should buy 33 cars. Equally prepared . . . He should then have a lottery. $500k per ticket, the first 33 drawn get seats. Starting in row 11 and work the way forward until the Pole position get drawn. If more than 33 buy tickets then you have bumping, (i.e. those tickets that don't get drawn). Pole Day, Bump Day and Race Day all rolled up into one day!!! :thumbup:

racer2c
08-22-05, 02:18 PM
Why fix what ain't broke. TG gots himself a Danika! Alls good in gomerville. Heck, Danica could run all by herself in May and the stands would be full. She's just that good. Or better yet, let Danika whup up on Sarah for few hours. That's all anyone needs to see at the Brickyard! :gomer:

they could change their name to GIRL.

FTG
08-22-05, 02:30 PM
Helicopter crash.

mueber
08-22-05, 02:45 PM
Saving the Gomerville 500 is not an option. Either:

a) It can become a NASCAR race and Boy George can throw a tantrum, demand control, split the series and destroy stock car racing leading to a resurgence of open wheel racing, or

b) Champ Car can go about its business, develop successful series and make Gomverville irrelevant leading to a resurgence of open wheel racing, or

c) a combination of a and b.

Chief
08-22-05, 02:57 PM
indy 500? What's wrong with it? i thought Tonee George straightened everything out.....

Andrew Longman
08-22-05, 03:14 PM
Helicopter crash.

:rofl:

Seriously folks. Let's just assume for a moment that TG does meet some tragic fate and he willed the event to you.

Aside from immediately closing the doors on the IRL, what would you do to preserve "all that Indy means"?

Assuming you agree with TG that Indy is too important to be beholding to any series, what better way to maintain it's independence and uniqueness than to run its own car?

Rather than deal with all the messiness of supporting teams for an entire season (when only one race really matters) why not just plan it from the beginning to be a one race season?

I only suggested leasing the cars to teams rather than give them a turn-key crew and all to make it a bit more interesting and make it more atttractive to teams trying to enhance their sponsorship.

Granted, NASCAR would never shift the CC600 to Indy, that's another reason to do something like this. But if it was scheduled properly, and the pot sweet enough, then teams could do both. Might have to race on Saturday.

eiregosod
08-22-05, 03:15 PM
lets go back to Vision -1.0 , Champcars/Indycars in 1995, and start again from there.

RacinM3
08-22-05, 03:17 PM
Don't assume that moving the May weekend to NASCAR would be too damaging to tradition. I just read this gem at track forum (I know, I know, but it's like trying not to watch a train wreck you know is going to happen) The second paragraph is the telling one:

I know this thread is going to get real ugly so I might as well throw the first stone. But with GM gone I think the IRL is back on life support. Honda won't stay, and with no other manufacuter I think thy need to go anyway. So Tony is back to supporting teams and putting money back in the league. I doubt the board approves that amount of spending again.

At this point I just want to see the 500 survive and prosper. If that means stock cars so be it. After seeing the BY400 this year and the atmosphere surrounding it, I wouldn't be dissappointed to see NASCAR for the month of May.

Andrew Longman
08-22-05, 03:29 PM
Don't assume that moving the May weekend to NASCAR would be too damaging to tradition. I just read this gem at track forum (I know, I know, but it's like trying not to watch a train wreck you know is going to happen) The second paragraph is the telling one:

I guess you could substitute "If that means I have to accept rear engine formula car instead of my beloved roadsters, then so be it"

In the end I don't know if Burton Smith's lawyers could out last the Frances' if they wanted to move the CC600 date.

But I also don't think the France's would be too inclined. They already have a successful BY400 date. Moving it to may won't make it better attended. And having two dates at Indy will hurt them both. They also already have a successful date in May for the CC600 tied to the all star race and all.

I just don't see that much up-side for NASCAR, regardless of hope the Hoosiers may be forming that NASCAR will help save their race.

Back to my idea, I do see an upside for NASCAR if the top ten teams in points in May got to do the double (for their sponsors of course) in Tony's rented sleds on the same weekend as the 600.

DjDrOmusic
08-22-05, 04:10 PM
How to save the Indy 500???? KK and GF buy the property from the Hulman-George Family, lock Tony in a white powder filled room with John Delorean and tell him to talk about old times and enjoy himself, stack everyone of those butt ugly cars the middle of the track, tie Mikey to the top and sell turns with a sledgehammer to fans with the proceeds going to charity! Name Lizzerd track president and give free tickets to all TF members!! ;) :thumbup: :D

Winston Wolfe
08-22-05, 04:20 PM

What on God's green earth makes that Gomer who posted that nonsense believe for ONE SINGLE MINUTE that NASCAR would waste an entire month of May racing at one track !!!!!

Those gomers over there are completely scrambling to define what the future of their series is gonna be.... many of the regular posters are blaming T\H and the CART teams and drivers for driving up the cost of racing and taking the chance to race at Gomerville away from the small guys....

I cant believe for a minute that these guys are really posting that stuff.... I mean, this is what THEY wanted.... to legitimize their pathetic series centered around a once great event....by bringing in the big boys. Well, they got it..... and then they REALLY GOT IT !!!!

NASCAR at the Brickyard during Memorial Day weekend ? NEVER.
Not until the France family, Roger Penske, or both actually OWN the track.
In case they havent noticed, the NASCAR juggernaut is doing just fine without that precious date, and to do anything else with it on the first Holiday weekend in May would be wrong, just plain wrong.... but then again, the irl has survived for all these years, too.....

L1P1
08-22-05, 08:03 PM
I have a recurring fantasy where, while walking the hallowed grounds, I slip and fall on a Track Dog and my attorney (Jackie Chiles) successfully sues the trust for everything they've got - including, of course, IMS.

It branches from there. Sometimes serious, sometimes not. I might talk to Kalkhoven. But he might piss me off. I might decide to go it alone. I might change the rules every year. I might reveal them on May 1. I might unveil a big pile of premo parts - tubs, wheels, engines, gearboxes, suspension bits, etc. (all spec'd for safety of course - and donated by the manufacturer).

"That's all you've got to work with boys. Make the best of it. Ladies and Gentleman, start your building. You have thirty days of building and testing."

The daily Discovery Channel reality show would be hosted by Jimmy Vasser, Derek Daley and David Hobbes. Gasoline Alley would be open to paying spectators every day.

The infield would be a carnival midway with rides and games and circus freaks (obtained mostly from the Classy Chassis). Children could win free real-live ponies.

About a week into the build, I might announce that the part of the grand prize package is a 10% stake in IMS. And that prize might continue each year until I'm not longer in control - or not even involved anymore.

Then I might announce that anybody may give any amount of extra cash to whatever team they want (to be spent only on parts) - as long as you give me half of the money. Well, actually, give me all of the money and I'll spend 50% on what you want the team to have and I'll deliver it to them. This will be termed "fair administration of the cost-containment rules."

Or, I might buy a pony.

dando
08-22-05, 09:44 PM
IRL:

Got engines? :D :gomer: :laugh:

-Kevin

Opposite Lock
08-22-05, 10:17 PM
I have a recurring fantasy where, while walking the hallowed grounds...

The daily Discovery Channel reality show would be hosted by Jimmy Vasser, Derek Daley and David Hobbes.

dude, Derek Daley is in your fantasy? Shouldn't this be in the Scary Movies thread? :shakehead

:)

Lizzerd
08-23-05, 02:09 AM
Name Lizzerd track president and give free tickets to all TF members!! ;) :thumbup: :D

BRING BACK THE SNAKE PIT! :eek:

NismoZ
08-23-05, 07:18 AM
No. See, they really ARE going back to front-engined roadsters. I know this guy in Indy who has a friend who works at Pizza Hut, and he says.......

Jervis Tetch 1
08-23-05, 05:34 PM
IRL:

Got engines? :D :gomer: :laugh:

-Kevin
:laugh: