PDA

View Full Version : "Champ Car. It's the new hot place to be."

rabbit
08-19-05, 11:11 PM
So says Jeemy Vasser. :cool: (http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-motors19aug19,1,3472283.story?coll=la-headlines-sports)

"It was doom and gloom for a few years, but the energy has done a complete 180 in the paddock," said driver Jimmy Vasser, whose job was saved in January 2004 when Kalkhoven, Gerald Forsythe and Paul Gentilozzi purchased Championship Auto Racing Teams' assets out of bankruptcy. "There are drivers who are really wanting to get into Champ Car. It's the new hot place to be."

Vasser, aware that 15 of 22 cars in the IRL have owners who were previously in Champ Car, says change is afoot.

"There are some very significant owners looking at coming back in," he said. "I would bet everything I own that there will be a few more from that side come over, and we'll have 22 to 24 cars. It's only a matter of time."

Kalkhoven's five-year business model called for 16 to 18 races and 20 to 24 cars in 2007, the first year for the next-generation chassis. He said "the likelihood is high" that Champ Car will achieve those top-end estimates.

"We've only had the series for 18 months," Kalkhoven said. "Imagine where we'll be in another 18 months." :thumbup:

Jervis Tetch 1
08-20-05, 01:06 AM
:D :thumbup:

Sean O'Gorman
08-20-05, 01:10 AM
Similar article today in the Cleveland PD:

http://www.cleveland.com/autoracing/plaindealer/index.ssf?/base/sports/112444413578540.xml&coll=2

Robstar
08-20-05, 04:17 AM
Reschepct... http://www.offcamber.net/forums/images/smilies/tup.gif

stroker
08-20-05, 12:59 PM
It's all nice to hear, but until Cheep/FRP/AGR announce the change it's all hot air.

Show me the money.

oddlycalm
08-21-05, 05:27 AM
It's all nice to hear, but until Cheep/FRP/AGR announce the change it's all hot air. I hope they stay gone personally. There are a couple drivers I wouldn't mind having back, but Mikey's and Fatassi's calls shouldn't be returned. I'd love to see the EARL fold and those insects locked out of formula car racing.

oc

stroker
08-21-05, 12:16 PM
I can't say I'm particularly anxious to see them, either. I was sloppy in my wording. What I meant was that I'm getting weary of the speculation and rumor. When (like today) GM announces they will absolutely positively not be staying in the .1RL, that's news. When people say, "Teams are coming", it doesn't mean crap. Show me the announcement from Team X they're changing over, then I'll (maybe) drink a beer.

:)

TrueBrit
08-21-05, 12:30 PM
I hope they stay gone personally. There are a couple drivers I wouldn't mind having back, but Mikey's and Fatassi's calls shouldn't be returned. I'd love to see the EARL fold and those insects locked out of formula car racing.

oc

Couldn't agree more...especially about Whinedretti.....I don't blame Fatassi, he always has been a ho.

NismoZ
08-22-05, 01:02 PM
"The Red Bull Formula Atlantic Series"? Hope So...It's the place to be! :)

devilmaster
08-22-05, 01:13 PM

Cmon Niz -

Red Bull Presents the Formula Atlantic Series Powered by Cosworth.

;)

NismoZ
08-22-05, 01:34 PM
I know, I know...but I couldn't bring myself to use the "Cosworth" name because as much as the company means to US, I'm guessing most people would go, "Whaaa? :confused: " Am I wrong in believing KK and co. would like to badge the thing and sell the naming rights to the series? "Good for business" you know! ;)

devilmaster
08-22-05, 01:41 PM
I know, I know...but I couldn't bring myself to use the "Cosworth" name because as much as the company means to US, I'm guessing most people would go, "Whaaa? :confused: " Am I wrong in believing KK and co. would like to badge the thing and sell the naming rights to the series? "Good for business" you know! ;)

Not necessarily. There has been talk about getting Cosworth into the mainstream, making it a name in the aftermarket and tuner depts. If those plans are enacted, then the idea to put Cossie on the banner is a good one.

KK has always talked about making all his individual acquisitions work for themselves, while giving Champcar security.

RacinM3
08-22-05, 03:25 PM
Interesting comments about the Cosworth name. I too have always thought it had marketing possiblities beyond racing engines. I mean, how can you not capitalize on so many years of proven competence and success?

Rus'L
08-22-05, 04:13 PM
Not necessarily. There has been talk about getting Cosworth into the mainstream, making it a name in the aftermarket and tuner depts. If those plans are enacted, then the idea to put Cossie on the banner is a good one.

For a short while in the 80s, Cosworth was doing this. Remember the Cosworth Vega? There were other examples of Cosworth getting into the mainstream consumer consciousness, but then they seemed to drop it.

If the plan is to have Cosworth once again reach out to the consumer instead of other manufacturers, you're right, branding the Atlantic series will be a proper marketing move.

devilmaster
08-22-05, 04:58 PM
To footnote:

I haven't looked at Cosworth's site in a while, but they now have a link on their mainpage to their online catalog. Their old website, iirc, was more or less a portal to the individual race series they worked with.

www.cosworth.com

NismoZ
08-22-05, 05:12 PM
Ooo...can I build up a Cosworth-Z ? :D

Andrew Longman
08-22-05, 05:39 PM

The Cosworth Atlantics Series fueled by Red Bull.

cart7
08-22-05, 07:15 PM
Nice words in that article and the continued positives are also nice to see. Hope to see more in the near future.

Jag_Warrior
08-22-05, 07:41 PM
Ooo...can I build up a Cosworth-Z ? :D

No! No soup for you! :p :laugh:

But looka dose Subie EJ25 heads. :cool:

Especially in Canada, Cossie parts are available for several Ford cars. The Focus is one car they've made a number of performance parts for. Looks like they're expanding lil by lil.

I think this is something of a new venture for this part of the company. When Cosworth split in two, Audi got the portion that had been doing castings and road car engineering. I think Audi sold them off again a few months ago. Odd that Kalkhoven didn't buy that too and marry them up again.

G.
08-23-05, 11:33 AM
I think this is something of a new venture for this part of the company. When KK bought it, he stated as such. He is going to target the Tuner market.

racer2c
08-23-05, 12:39 PM
When KK bought it, he stated as such. He is going to target the Tuner market.

Speaking of which, I was flipping through a 'tuner' mag that my 21 year old nephew left laying around and noticed a full page Cosworth ad. It wasn't pushing anything specific, but rather just showed a chick (I mean lady) in front of a beefed up Ford Focus and at the bottom of the page it said "Cosworth Performance".