PDA

View Full Version : Marco Andretti in an MC12 at Atlanta?

cameraman
08-19-05, 02:24 PM
He at RA right now.

Story (http://www.americanlemans.com/News/Article.aspx?NewsID=1385)

Andretti and Maserati officials confirmed that the 18-year-old prodigy could be behind the wheel of a second MC12 that may compete at Petit Le Mans next month at Road Atlanta. Thursday, the team was fitting him in the GT1 ride, just in case. If Andretti does get a seat in the Maserati, he said he wouldn't test until the week of the race.

KLang
08-19-05, 02:32 PM
'prodigy'

Isn't that overstating things a bit?

cameraman
08-19-05, 02:38 PM
From the ALMS pr deptartment :rolleyes:

They are trying to generate some more interest since Danica isn't driving in ALMS

DjDrOmusic
08-19-05, 06:04 PM
SHHHHHH Don't mention Danica in connection with anything ALMS or the PR director for the series will be drawn on you like a gun! ;)

For those of you who don't understand, Danica told me personally a couple of years ago that she had signed to drive at Road Atlanta a Ferrari, and an internet journalist took me to task for it because supposedly the PR people at ALMS knew nothing about it. When the announcement was finally made public a couple weeks later, I had some fun with it, but the feathers were ruffled in Webland, and I occasionally get toasted about it. :cool:

NismoZ
08-19-05, 06:15 PM
Rahal had been mentioned as a possible ALMS Aston Martin entrant. Would it be a stretch to assume Danica COULD be there next season?

NismoZ
08-19-05, 06:19 PM
Plus, Graham Rahal recently spoke of Dad's desire to go sportscar racing and said "we'll be there" when asked about the ALMS. I believe he was talking about Team Rahal as well as himself?

FCYTravis
08-19-05, 06:47 PM
There's also a rumor that Honda wants into the ALMS with their IRL engine.

If I was the ALMS, I would run as far away as I possibly could from anything remotely connected to a Honda factory program.

Gnam
08-19-05, 07:43 PM
Honda to P2 to rumble with Porsche, or to GT with something new?

FCYTravis
08-19-05, 08:15 PM
P2?

Honda *never* does anything halfway. P1.

extramundane
08-19-05, 09:22 PM
Rahal had been mentioned as a possible ALMS Aston Martin entrant. Would it be a stretch to assume Danica COULD be there next season?

Rahal has been mentioned as running damn near every GT1 car available the last couple of years. If it ever happens (don't hold your breath), Graham's far more likely than Danica.

Badger
08-19-05, 09:56 PM
P2?

Honda *never* does anything halfway. P1.

So Parker Johnstone never won a Lights Championship in an Acura Spice?

Also, if ALMS runs from the factories, and the privateers aren't interested, who do you propose race?

FCYTravis
08-22-05, 01:31 AM
I didn't suggest they run from *all* factories.

But since you ask... do you really want Honda to have its two-car Andretti-Green Racing superteam run all over everyone in ALMS for the next three years?

The privateers won't come to ALMS because it's too expensive to try and run with the one ubermegafactory team that currently blows everyone away without even trying.

So, the ALMS can either try to lower the costs and attract the privateers back... or pray to God that they get five or six factories back to beat the crap out of each other like they did back in the 1980s.

The problem with the latter is that even if you can get them in... good luck keeping them there.

Factories kill competitive racing.