PDA

View Full Version : Brock Yates strikes again

Elmo T
08-19-05, 09:22 AM
Brock Yates brings his brand of journalism to the emergency services. This from Firehouse.com:

HEATHER CASPI
Firehouse.Com News

A prominent publication has stirred up concern within the fire service and the general public by alleging a lack of willingness in the fire/rescue community to respond to victims of hybrid vehicle crashes.

The September issue of Car and Driver Magazine features a column by automotive writer Brock Yates, which states that "...a number of fire and EMS crews have announced that they will refuse to rescue victims trapped in such vehicles, openly fearing electrocution or fatal acid burns."

Neither Car and Driver Magazine nor Brock Yates responded to Firehouse.com's request to identify which fire departments made these alleged announcements, and fire service leaders questioned the veracity of the statement.

"I don't know why anyone would question the willingness of the fire service to handle any sort of emergency, and I don't believe, unless you can prove otherwise, there is any credible evidence to suggest that is actually happening," said International Association of Fire Fighters spokesman Jeff Zack.

"How is this different than responding to downed power lines or a chemical fire of some sort? This just doesn't appear credible on its face or in its substance," he said. "Firefighters have never shrunk in the face of adversity and I don't think they're doing it in this case."

Full article here: Firehouse Magazine (http://cms.firehouse.com/content/article/article.jsp?sectionId=46&id=44110)

cart7
08-19-05, 10:17 AM
He's an old guy who's ramblings are no longer based in the here and now. Did he get a cannonball reference in with his remarks? :rolleyes:

Don Quixote
08-19-05, 03:28 PM
"...a number of fire and EMS crews have announced that they will refuse to rescue victims trapped in such vehicles, openly fearing electrocution or fatal acid burns."
How much do you want to bet that Yates couldn't name a single firefighter or EMT that said this? :thumdown:

devilmaster
08-19-05, 04:21 PM
How much do you want to bet that Yates couldn't name a single firefighter or EMT that said this?

But since he drove an ambulance in the Cannonball, i'm sure he feels he's an expert.... :rolleyes:

Oh, and I found the article. No mention of the cannonball, but good ol' Brocky got a Champcar bash in there.... Don't bother looking for it.... He basically said: Danica could be the saviour in the OW war, (with champcar throwing in the towel because they can't end-run the powerful Indy 500)

Now you must excuse me, I need another shower. :rolleyes: ;)

Rogue Leader
08-19-05, 05:38 PM
I'm a Firefighter/Tactical Rescue.... The last thing I worry about seeing someone trapped in a burning car is whether the freaking battery is leaking, hybrid or not......

Ankf00
08-19-05, 07:26 PM
chemical burns? well I guess everyone in those refineries from Houston to Mobile are F#$@ED ;)

Opposite Lock
08-19-05, 07:53 PM
If Brock Yates can continue the impressive trajectory toward imbecility that he has set over the last couple decades, soon he won't even be a relevant voice as to what Brock Yates thinks.
:gomer:

TravelGal
08-19-05, 08:10 PM
And just how did the editors of this august publication allow such complete, blathering idiocy to appear in their pages? :flame: Comments like his are dangerous in the extreme because they might serve to frighten the good people who buy those cars.

Get the hook and stick it..... oh, family forum, sorry. ;)

Ankf00
08-19-05, 08:22 PM
If Brock Yates can continue the impressive trajectory toward imbecility that he has set over the last couple decades, soon he won't even be a relevant voice as to what Brock Yates thinks.
:gomer:

Denny Crane? Denny Crane. Coocoo for Cocoa Puffs. :D