PDA

View Full Version : FIA to ban driver aids again?

mapguy
01-03-03, 02:58 PM
FIA to ban driver aids from Autosport.com (http://www.autosport.com/newsitem.asp?id=21560&s=5)

I would love to see this happen. Maybe now we will see how good Schumacher really is....

pchall
01-03-03, 04:03 PM
I hope the can make it work.

It is the World Driving Championship afterall

mnkywrch
01-03-03, 04:15 PM
Mosley will screw it up.

He does everything else...

GrandView
01-03-03, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by mapguy

I would love to see this happen. Maybe now we will see how good Schumacher really is....

Heh Heh...

If you're unconvinced of Michael's talent since 1991, it's unlikely any rules changes will be very enlightening.

If Michael has an Achilles heel it might surface if launch control were banned. (Which wouldn't displease me at all) Michael was a very inconsistent starter.

GV

mapguy
01-03-03, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by GrandView
Heh Heh...

If you're unconvinced of Michael's talent since 1991, it's unlikely any rules changes will be very enlightening.

If Michael has an Achilles heel it might surface if launch control were banned. (Which wouldn't displease me at all) Michael was a very inconsistent starter.

GV

MS is a talent. But a tainted one. Hill in 94, Villeneuve in 97 and Hakkinen in 2k will attest to that. He's dirty. Plus when he teams with Ross Brawn he cheats too. The FIA found traction control software in the ECU when he drove for Benetton back in 96. Benetton claimed it was only used for testing! What is funnier is that the FIA bought it!

At the Brazilian GP in 2001 when Obi-Juan was chasing MS he noticed that his car was 'mis-firing' exiting corners. Traction control 3 races before it was legal.

MS has broken Prost's record for most wins and will most likely break Fangio's record for most Championships but I cannot put him as a legend.

Joe in LA
01-03-03, 04:51 PM
IMHO, banning the driver aids won't hurt MS. He may get burned on a few starts, as Grandview correctly points out that seems to ba an area for weakness, but he has demonstrated top notch talent in every F1 car he's driven. Personally, I really liked him when he started, and felt he got kinda' ripped off by the FIA in 1994--I felt they were trying to make a contest out of a walkover, but don't much like him now. Nonetheless, the performance record is there. Love him/hate him, nobody seems to be able to convincingly beat him.

Hink
01-03-03, 05:02 PM
Schumacher is the dirtiest.

Hill 95...
Crashing a passing Hakkinen at Macau ...

That will be a large part of his legend.

JSR
01-03-03, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by mapguy
FIA to ban driver aids from Autosport.com (http://www.autosport.com/newsitem.asp?id=21560&s=5)

ditto

Ziggy
01-03-03, 09:13 PM
Michael is dirty? He had a good teacher, namely Senna. Its the sign of the times. This aint Eccurie Ecross versus Sentro Sud anymore!

Schumacher will stand the test of time as the greatest. Im more dissapointed in the guys who are getting good cars who cant even make a decent dent in his status. David the Chin, HHF, Eddie Sofine, Gosh Idrivesloppy, all these guys look like a bunch of mid packers to me.

Where are the Ricardo Patrese types, the Bergers, the guys who would beat you if you screwed up a couple of times in a race distance?

Ziggy

Hink
01-03-03, 09:55 PM
Yup - dirty - It's a sign of the times.

... And as much as I'll get flamed for saying it, there is a case that can be made against the current safety level of the cars. In the old days, Schumacher would have likely killed someone by now.

To really fight on that case, you'd have to basically argue that killing drivers is worth seeing cleaner driving, so it's not one side that most would take including myself.

However - Why didn't Fangio drive like that? He would have more than likely died.

The Patrese and Berger types were pretty much as absent from the top step of the podium during the near total McLaren/Honda domination.

GrandView
01-03-03, 10:35 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Hink
In the old days, Schumacher would have likely killed someone by now.

That's a bull**** analogy. Particularly bull**** to single out Schumacher. The aggressive drivers of this era including Senna, Villeneuve, and Montoya drive the way they do because they have the cars and courses to do it. Whether that style transfers to "the old days" isn't even germane...let alone interesting.

GV

Hink
01-03-03, 11:09 PM
GV - I disagree. That Macau chop alone could very well have been an airborne launch for the driver behind. Schu pulled suddenly to the right 2 full car widths for the block and luckily Hakkinen only took out Schu's rear wing (and his own entire car)

Is is BS to single out Schumacher. Sure - but it's tough to say he doesn't chop in major well known situations. Pick another driver and give examples - that's fine.

For example - look at that Piquet / Senna clip from 1986 that was brought up today. Did Senna defend the normal inside passing line? Yes. Did Senna force Piquet to get the job done on the outside right along the grass? Yes. In this instance, at least there was no punt, and my opinion a difficult overtaking move is more interesting to watch than a deliberate crash by the slower car.

Whether it's germaine or interesting is subjective. You have your opinion and I have mine. There's nothing wrong with that. My opinion is that dirty drivers can get away with it a lot more easily than in the past.

FortyOneFord
01-04-03, 01:42 AM
Have to agree with 'wrench on this one.

Mosley is terrific at devising idiotic "cost saving" initiatives that neither save costs, nor even apply to racing for that matter. A trained babboon could make decisions more attuned to reality than Mosley. And since he's still calling the shots, we'll continue to see great ideas like grooved tires and narrow cars.