PDA

View Full Version : Any pool owners here?

RaceGrrl
08-18-05, 12:06 PM
Richard and I just bought a house with a heated in-ground pool. (Heater needs a part, which is on the way) Since I was the one who wanted the pool, I'm the one who gets to take care of it. (Kinda like a kid who begs for a puppy- "you want it, you feed it")

So, any general tips on pool care?

Wabbit
08-18-05, 12:07 PM
Richard and I just bought a house with a heated in-ground pool. (Heater needs a part, which is on the way) Since I was the one who wanted the pool, I'm the one who gets to take care of it. (Kinda like a kid who begs for a puppy- "you want it, you feed it")

So, any general tips on pool care?

Time to get a pool boy :D

RaceGrrl
08-18-05, 12:10 PM
Richard is my pool boy, but he doesn't do pools. :)

Turn7
08-18-05, 12:17 PM
We had one at our previous house. It had a tube in line by the filter assembly that you put those 3" chlorine tabs in once a week or so and it worked very well. Checked the water once a week, usually on Thursday evening so that if it needed to be shocked, it would be good for the weekend.

Keep the leaves out of it and they are fairly easy if the water is stabilized.

We enjoyed ours, just not enough to warrant paying for another one at the new address. At least not yet, I noticed that there was a pool company website up on the pc the other day when I got home. I think that was a hint but, I am ignoring at the moment.

rabbit
08-18-05, 12:18 PM
I once won $5 when I pwn3d an office pool. Does that count?

nrc
08-18-05, 12:18 PM
Clearly a typo.
http://www.georgiapoolsupply.com/PSP%20Files/Web%20Photos/Fun%20Stuff%20Pics/Ring%20Buoy.jpg

racer2c
08-18-05, 12:24 PM
I use clorine tablets in a floating container and shock it every week. Works nicely. Don't forget to scrub the sides down before you vacum.

RaceGrrl
08-18-05, 12:31 PM
I was told that the liquid chlorine is better for in-ground pools. Anyone have experience with this?

Gnam
08-18-05, 12:39 PM
What pool would be complete without...

http://store1.yimg.com/I/kazootoys_1857_24348522

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/kazootoys/inracar.html

devilmaster
08-18-05, 12:46 PM
Grrl, the best idea for you is to get a local pool company to open and close it for the first few seasons, and get them to give you directions on the weekly upkeep.

I'm just learnin my grandparent's pool upkeep myself. That ^ is how i'll learn it right.

racer2c
08-18-05, 12:59 PM
I was told that the liquid chlorine is better for in-ground pools. Anyone have experience with this?

I use liquid when I shock it. The tablets are just for daily maintenance.

Here's an informative webpage.

Pool treatment 101 (http://c3.org/chlorine_knowledge_center/POOLTREATMENT101.html)

KLang
08-18-05, 01:07 PM
We had one when we lived in Florida. We didn't build one here since we rarely used it but now the wife is hinting..... :saywhat:

Anyway...

The way I learned to take care of it was by taking water samples to the pool supply store where I bought the chemicals. They would run the sample through a machine that produced a report describing the condition of the water and what needed to be added. I would then do my own testing and compare results. Over time I learned to how to make changes based on my tests and stopped taking the samples in all the time.

RaceGrrl
08-18-05, 01:14 PM
Thanks for the link. DM, we probably will have a professional open and close the pool until I feel confident that I can handle it myself. I have done some reading but still feel unsure of things. One thing I am sure of... I need one of these:

http://www.backyardstuff.com/Outdoor%20Furniture/Tiki%20Bar%208h.jpg

nrc
08-18-05, 01:19 PM
A plastic alligator? :confused:

G.
08-18-05, 01:22 PM
Congratulations on the new home!

Upon my first invite to spend the weekend at your new home in the pool, I will impart on to you all of my secret knowledge of pool care.

(secret number one: G. has never owned a pool, but he did stay at a Holiday Inn Express.)

Congrats!

SAdair
08-18-05, 01:25 PM
So when's the first pool/watch party? :D

Better hurry up, you don't have much time left before the weather changes in Ohio. :laugh:

KLang
08-18-05, 02:37 PM
Also look into one of the automatic cleaners like a Kreepy Krauly. It did a pretty good job for us.

Gnam
08-18-05, 02:39 PM
Get serious. You're gonna need one of these:

http://brandon.fuller.name/photos/2004/2004-11-23--Pool_Bar.jpg

devilmaster
08-18-05, 02:40 PM
So when's the first pool/watch party? :D

Ya know, I want to throw my weight behind this.... An OC pool party... don't do it in conjunction with a weekend though, so the drivers and team members can be there.... ;)

Speaking of weight, can Warlock, Rocket and I have a cannonball contest? we'll do it at the end of the day, that way you have all night to refill the pool.....

cart7
08-18-05, 02:47 PM

I'll bet they've all been sitting there for several hours drinking without ever having to get up.

hmmm.....

Wabbit
08-18-05, 03:22 PM
I'll bet they've all been sitting there for several hours drinking without ever having to get up.

hmmm.....

Ewwwwwwww :saywhat:

Ankf00
08-18-05, 04:02 PM
Ewwwwwwww
the magic of chlorine :D

Al Czervik
08-18-05, 05:28 PM
One word: Filtration! Do your PM's (thats preventive maintanence) on your filter and you'll have half the battle won.

Keep the water slightly alkaline (pH 7 - 8.5), maintain a free chlorine residual (any residual - although anything over 2.0 ppm is overkill. 0.5 - 1.0 should be fine). Use stabilized (sp?) chlorine tablets (tri chloro isocyuranate blah blah). If you need to shock dose chlorine, calcium hypochlorite (granuale/powder) or sodium hypochlorite (liquid) will both do the trick.

Also, when you fill the pool in the spring: If your water source has iron, and you dump a bunch of chlorine in it, expect the water to turn brown. Maintain your chlorine residual and your filter, and it'll clear up in a couple of days.

Audi_A4
08-18-05, 11:58 PM
I grew up in a house with a pool .. its quite easy to maintain.
#1 take a sample of water to a local pool store for analysis.
#2 install a chlorinator (basically adds chlorine in small amounts all the time)
chlorine pucks are the easiest but sometimes they can upset the balance of the water with the stabilizer .. not a big deal.
#3 buy a POLARIS automatic vaccum .. plug it in, leave for 3 hours the pool is clean.
#4 check the chemical balance once a week .. more often if its hot and water evaporates.
#5 have fun

Sean O'Gorman
08-19-05, 12:27 AM

Look at how fat most of those lazyasses are. :saywhat:

TravelGal
08-19-05, 01:08 AM
Also look into one of the automatic cleaners like a Kreepy Krauly. It did a pretty good job for us.

That's what I was going to say. Ours chugs along for several hours a day and keeps the sides and bottom clear of algae and mud. Yes, there is a lot of dust out here in the west (said with my best Roy Rogers voice). You'll still need a good long handled brush to clean the sides from time to time, however.

We use chorine tablets because the liquid evaporates out of the water too fast when the ambient temperature goes over 80, which it is most of the summer here.

Also, our life saver has been a pool cover for the winter. Not the kind that look like bubble wrap. A true winter cover. They have winterizing kits of chemicals. We plunk them in and cover. Next April or May, we uncover. Pool is beautiful and no work (except replenishing the chlorine) over the winter.

This is the royal "we" of course. TravelGuy does it all. :)

devilmaster
08-19-05, 01:22 AM
Time to get a pool boy :D

Darren Manning is looking for work......

cart7
08-19-05, 07:43 AM
Can't offer you any In-ground tips grrl as I had an above ground for around 10 years. One thing I found was the pool stays cleaner the more you use it requiring less cleaning. Using the pool stirs up sediments at the bottom and allows the filter to do it's job better. If I also had to do it again, I'd probably invest in those chlorine alternatives. They're more expensive but require less overall chemical maintenance.

I can tell this though and I'm sure you and Richard are already finding this out, neutral bouyancy opens up a whole new realm of possibilities IF ya know what I mean. ;)

2DB
08-19-05, 08:27 AM
I'll agree the best thing to buy is a Polaris 145, I just got one this spring, because it helps bigtime in the cleaning department. Also as someone else mentioned use it a lot and that is the ticket, good luck.

Kelvis

Turn7
08-19-05, 09:26 AM
It funny hearing differing things from other parts of the country. Like draining it for the winter. That would of never crossed my mind. In fact, if you drain a pool in Houston, you won't have a pool for long. It will float due to the water table being high. I have seen several "concrete boats" sitting in backyards of people that did that. :D

When we had ours replastered, they had to drill 2" holes in the bottom as soon as the water was going down. That relieved the water pressure from under it and then they could drain it on down. Other than having major work done, you never drain a pool here.

KaBoom21
08-19-05, 10:46 AM
Not much I can add here other than it is really easy to open and close the pool once you get the hang of it - just watch what the pool guy does when he handles the task this Fall and next Spring. Stay away from Baquacil (sp?) as an alternative to chlorine. I think that works for spas and above-ground pools okay, but is unnecessary and damn expensive for in-ground pools.

Oh yeah, do not allow glass containers anywhere near the pool. Don't want to be fixing/replacing the liner any sooner than necessary.

Have fun.

Wheel-Nut
08-19-05, 11:31 AM
Just one question. If its a heated pool what need is there to "close it"?

racer2c
08-19-05, 11:44 AM

Just guessing, but the heater would have to be pretty stout in order to heat a pool through an Ohio winter. Probably not possible/cost efficient.

KLang
08-19-05, 11:47 AM
I would think the winter freeze/thaw cycle would be tough on a concrete pool. Just look at what happens to the roads.

Gnam
08-19-05, 11:48 AM
You'd have to heat it constantly during the winter, or you'd end up renting skates and ref'ing the neighborhood kids' hockey game. ;)

It funny hearing differing things from other parts of the country. Like draining it for the winter. That would of never crossed my mind. In fact, if you drain a pool in Houston, you won't have a pool for long. It will float due to the water table being high. I have seen several "concrete boats" sitting in backyards of people that did that.
That's crazy. But here in California, if you drain your pool you'll have 10 skateboarders dropping in. Sometimes they'll drain it for you when you're on vacation. :p

Wheel-Nut
08-19-05, 12:36 PM
I would think the winter freeze/thaw cycle would be tough on a concrete pool. Just look at what happens to the roads.

I guess so . . . It's tough to think about winter when we wear shorts and T shirts year round!! :p

JoeBob
08-19-05, 12:50 PM
Invite Diddy, and maybe he can ensure there's no P in your pool.

I felt like the 'P' was coming between me and my fans. We had to simplify it. It was, you know, during concerts and half the crowd saying 'P. Diddy" and half the crowd chanting 'Diddy.' Now everybody can just chant 'Diddy.'

devilmaster
08-19-05, 01:46 PM

What i've learned with the grandparents pool (concrete, inground) is that if its taken care of in the winter, drained properly, and covered, it can last a very long time. If you have a idiot of an uncle who took care of it for a while and was turning into a family skating rink, then yes you will have problems. (for us it was to the tune of 5000.)

The big thing I remember bout concrete pools is that over years, the water will wear away the concrete a bit, causing the bottom to be stucco like. For the last summer before resurfacing, we swam in socks because soaking skin becomes soft and then gets cuts.

Turn7
08-19-05, 02:21 PM
What i've learned with the grandparents pool (concrete, inground) is that if its taken care of in the winter, drained properly, and covered, it can last a very long time. If you have a idiot of an uncle who took care of it for a while and was turning into a family skating rink, then yes you will have problems. (for us it was to the tune of 5000.)

The big thing I remember bout concrete pools is that over years, the water will wear away the concrete a bit, causing the bottom to be stucco like. For the last summer before resurfacing, we swam in socks because soaking skin becomes soft and then gets cuts.

Chemical bounce can cause that problem as well.

If we get one I am going to go with the Pebbletec (http://www.pebbletec.com/) surfacing. I have looked at a couple of projects that used this and it is really a nice effect.

KLang
08-19-05, 02:29 PM
Our pool in Florida was covered with Diamond Brite. No idea how long it would have lasted but it held up fine the three years we lived there. The re-bar poking through the bottom of the pool was a different story. :mad:

devilmaster
08-19-05, 04:35 PM
If we get one I am going to go with the Pebbletec (http://www.pebbletec.com/) surfacing.

Damn, T7, warn me next time about those links.... Damn near fell asleep listening to that hypnotic music..... ;)

devilmaster
06-10-06, 01:02 PM
its been a while since this thread's been around....

So, looking into automatic pool vacuums.... specifically the baracuda G4. Anyone use it?

Also, the concrete around the outside of the pool is getting really rough.... I'd like to paint it or coat it in some way without wet feet slipping on it and killing people..... any thoughts on that also is much appreciated....

Sean O'Gorman
06-10-06, 08:45 PM
I can't believe this thread ran its course without a Tommy Lee joke.

nrc
06-10-06, 11:22 PM
its been a while since this thread's been around....

So, looking into automatic pool vacuums.... specifically the baracuda G4. Anyone use it?

Also, the concrete around the outside of the pool is getting really rough.... I'd like to paint it or coat it in some way without wet feet slipping on it and killing people..... any thoughts on that also is much appreciated....

'Grrl is becoming an expert old fashioned vacuuming, but no poolbot here yet. I saw some high-traction pool deck coating in the last pool supply catalog we got but no experience to offer on that either.

RaceGrrl
07-08-10, 12:53 PM
Revisiting this thread...

We ended up replacing the filter and the heater a few years ago- the new ones are great. Never did get a vacuum bot, but that's ok- I kinda like vacuuming for now.

I've been reading about BBB method of balancing chemicals at poolforum.com. They recommend using borax, baking soda and bleach to balance the pool so you avoid the expense of pool-store products. I knew about the baking soda and borax, but didn't know we could use bleach instead of regular chlorine. It's not as concentrated, but it's definitely cheaper to use. We still use the 3" chlorine pucks in a floater, but haven't needed to use as many.

We still use a pool company to open and close the pool. I'm not thrilled with the expense, but feel more comfortable that things are being done right and we don't have to wrestle with the winter cover. Will need to replace that this year- the old one was in bad shape. For summer we have a solar cover- works great- maybe too well in this high heat. The water temp was 89 degrees on Monday, 88 degrees last night.

Looking at having to replace the vinyl liner in the next few years. For now it's okay, but we have a bit of horizontal bubbling on the sides of the pool. Not sure if that's from the water table or from a leak somewhere along the liner. We knew when we bought the house that the liner would need replaced in about 5 years. It's been 5 years and it still seems to be ok. I've seen places who say you can replace the liner yourself, but I don't think I'd attempt it. I want to make sure it's right, and if it's not, then someone else is to blame! :D

KLang
07-08-10, 02:39 PM
We've built another house since this thread started, with a pool this time. Polaris cleaner runs 3 hours a day, what's a vacuum? ;) I take a sample in to the chemical store once a month and add chlorine tablets and an algicide weekly.

It's so freaking hot here in the summer some times the pool is more like bath water. :saywhat:

RaceGrrl
07-08-10, 03:18 PM
It was like that yesterday... nice when the weather is chilly, not so much when it's hot. We've left the cover off for the past week because the water was getting too warm.

Maybe we'll look into a robovac for next year.

TravelGal
07-08-10, 03:55 PM
We're finding the true winterizing pool covers difficult to find. Might want to start now looking for them. Paradoxically, you might have a better chance to find them in the summer.

The one problem with living in an irrigated desert (my part of LA) is that it cools down at night. That means the pool loses its heat and we're almost always swimming in chilly water. We can't do the summer cover thing because of the dogleg shape of the pool. Too big; too awkward; too heavy. So, brrrrrrrrrrrrrr, cold water. "Refreshing" is a word I like referring to my drinks, not my pool.

WickerBill
07-08-10, 07:17 PM
A year ago, I moved into a house with an inground heated pool -- in floor sweeper system, power safety cover, etc. I have so much to learn, but it's going well.

Keeping the water below 90 degrees isn't easy when you have to cover the pool for safety reasons... the heat just doesn't escape. I was very pleasantly surprised that my gas bill only went up $30 in June. I guess the heater barely had to run.

My liner has gotten very wrinkly. Is this a PH problem or a liner problem?

SteveH
07-08-10, 09:18 PM
old age :gomer:

Methanolandbrats
07-08-10, 10:15 PM
We're finding the true winterizing pool covers difficult to find. Might want to start now looking for them. Paradoxically, you might have a better chance to find them in the summer.

The one problem with living in an irrigated desert (my part of LA) is that it cools down at night. That means the pool loses its heat and we're almost always swimming in chilly water. We can't do the summer cover thing because of the dogleg shape of the pool. Too big; too awkward; too heavy. So, brrrrrrrrrrrrrr, cold water. "Refreshing" is a word I like referring to my drinks, not my pool.

Hmmm, LA and Texas do not have "winter". I just got back from a vacation on Lake Superior. Air temp was upper 80s and the water was a warm 59F. The swimming was excellent. Why don't you tropical guys just swim yearround? :)

TravelGal
07-09-10, 11:15 AM
Hmmm, LA and Texas do not have "winter". I just got back from a vacation on Lake Superior. Air temp was upper 80s and the water was a warm 59F. The swimming was excellent. Why don't you tropical guys just swim yearround? :)

LOL! Except that I am water wimp. The idea of swimming A) in the rain (yes, it does rain in southern California) and/or B) swimming when it's 60 degrees out is not appealing. Plus all the leaves that would be in the pool from the neighbor's trees (:mad:) I realize that's a heatwave of gigantic proportions in your winter but 30 years in SoCal have made me look for a sweater when it's lower than 70.

nrc
07-09-10, 08:02 PM
My liner has gotten very wrinkly. Is this a PH problem or a liner problem?

Do you mean on the bottom, the sides, or both?

We have some long ridges along the sides that the pool guy speculated was water buildup behind the liner from either ground water or a leak. We rarely add water so I don't think it's a leak.

He said that it should be harmless as long as the liner doesn't pull out at the top.

WickerBill
07-09-10, 08:11 PM
Mostly on the bottom, on the slope from shallow to deep. It's like a sharpei down there.

nrc
07-10-10, 05:01 PM
Mostly on the bottom, on the slope from shallow to deep. It's like a sharpei down there.

This sounds like what I've heard is caused by ground water build up. Groundwater builds up under the liner and when it seeps in the liner doesn't always lay flat the way it was. The slanted part may be more susceptible to wrinkling from that since it the weight of the cover is trying to pull it down the slop as it resettles.

RaceGrrl
07-10-10, 10:24 PM
Have had a fine assortment of critters in the skimmers this spring/summer. Besides the usual large number of beetles, ants and earwigs, we've had a frog, several mice, a couple of moles and a snake. The frog and three mice were all in there yesterday. Nothing worse than checking the skimmer in the morning and finding it full of animal corpses. The snake was alive though, and seemed quite happy to have found a warm place to curl up. No squirrels or rabbits so far this year though.

I just loaded the pool up with chlorine and checked the levels today- perfectly sanitary... but the skimmers still gross me out. Last year we had a tree frog that was in the skimmer for several mornings in a row. I don't know if he just wanted to make the pool his home or what... good eatin, maybe. I can't imagie that the chlorine was good for him. After a few days of me relocating him, I didn't see him again.

WickerBill
07-12-10, 10:37 AM
Dang. I guess I should be thankful for a cover that keeps the vermin out.

TravelGal
07-14-15, 04:08 AM
Five years later (from the last post), I'm needing advice. After we took the winter cover off the pool (not until June 9, as we were otherwise engaged during the spring), the water was a bit green but not and worse than it has been some years. All the usual chemical treatments were administered. It got slightly better then turned much worse and worse than that, it has fine foam on parts of the surface. Travelguy took a sample to the local Lesley's. They said it's all fine; it just needs more chlorine. He put in shock, chlorine, and some sort of brightener over the weekend. Now it's very clear and bright. But also bright green and foamy. There is a Kreepy Krawly working 8 hours a day. He replaced the DE in the filter today. Any thoughts? :confused:

pfc_m_drake
07-14-15, 06:51 AM
Five years later (from the last post), I'm needing advice. After we took the winter cover off the pool (not until June 9, as we were otherwise engaged during the spring), the water was a bit green but not and worse than it has been some years. All the usual chemical treatments were administered. It got slightly better then turned much worse and worse than that, it has fine foam on parts of the surface. Travelguy took a sample to the local Lesley's. They said it's all fine; it just needs more chlorine. He put in shock, chlorine, and some sort of brightener over the weekend. Now it's very clear and bright. But also bright green and foamy. There is a Kreepy Krawly working 8 hours a day. He replaced the DE in the filter today. Any thoughts? :confused:
Guessing, but it sounds like you've got a bunch of stuff in suspension. If that's the case, you can use a product called flock to get everything to settle out. Basically you add the flock, let the pump run for 2 hours, then shut it off for 24 hours. After that, everything will have settled out and you can vacuum the crud out on waste mode.

Flock: http://www.amazon.com/In-The-Swim-Super-Clarifier/dp/B002WKSARQ

More info: http://www.ehow.com/info_8591542_use-flock-swimming-pool.html

As always, this advice provided free of charge. Past performance not indicative of future results. YMMV.

WickerBill
07-14-15, 12:28 PM
You opened late, it's been hot (I assume) - you are fighting a very active algae. Follow the SLAM method to clear it. It will take time.

http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/125-slam-shock-level-and-maintain-shockingl

You need testing equipment, but maybe testing strips can get you where you need to be.

TravelGal
07-14-15, 12:52 PM
Thanks, guys. Will investigate all suggestions. Off for regularly scheduled car maintenance today. MUCH more important. ;)

TravelGal
07-14-15, 06:57 PM
Tires rotated, inflation checked. All's right with the world. Back to the pool. I hope pfc_m_drake is right because I've always wanted to say, "Get the Flock out of that Pool!"

Seriously, I've sent the stuff to TravelGuy. He'll read it and be at Lesley's tomorrow with another water sample. Perusing Lowe's today, we came across "Chlorine stabilizer" which seems like a product whose time has come. Apparently our level was "zero" at last check three days ago. WB is correct that opening so late after hot weather caused a nice petri dish effect. :eek:

Edit: back again. Having really looked at WB's link, I'm relieved to say that our pool is not nearly that green. TravelGuy has come up with this link, which is to his liking. The pool in the illustration is somewhat lighter than ours but not too much. http://www.zodiacpoolblog.com/2015/april/how-to-fix-a-green-swimming-pool

WickerBill
07-14-15, 09:00 PM
Be careful if you're really going to use powdered chlorine. You can very easily fix the algae problem while causing alkalinity, CYA, and pH problems with the stuff.

TravelGal
07-15-15, 01:43 AM
Be careful if you're really going to use powdered chlorine. You can very easily fix the algae problem while causing alkalinity, CYA, and pH problems with the stuff.

Message relayed. To be continued.....

WickerBill
07-18-15, 01:32 PM
Status?

TravelGal
07-19-15, 03:45 PM
Status?

Fair. Thanks for asking. TravelGuy has done the shock, clarifier, potash, chlorine, conditioner, etc. All done in the proper order and avoiding the hot sun, etc.

Leslies's Pool Supply (LPS) correctly identified the problems but the first guy didn't give the proper solutions (no pun intended). The next guy was better but still a little lacking. We decided to call in the big gun--that being the independent pool guy we've known since we moved in here 30 years ago. The pool is 27,000 gallons to the cost of trying various remedies was mounting up.

IPGuy made a few tweaks to what LPSGuy #2 said. That improved it somewhat. All the rain yesterday may not have helped. (???) LPSGuys #1 and #2 both were concerned about copper in the water (maybe that's why it's green? har har) and both said, as pfc_m_drake said at the beginning, that we should be prepared for the "stuff" to sink to the bottom. We haven't noticed that but the pool is the clearest it's ever been. I could read a book through the water. It's just not blue, it's green(ish). So, we wait. If it's not pefecto-mundo by Wednesday, IPGuy will come over and opine what to do next.

:D

TravelGal
07-24-15, 06:17 PM
Further update. Can't seem to keep the chlorine level up. David the pool guy has been here twice. Wednesday he dumped in 6 gallons of liquid chlorine that measured zero within 20 minutes. Copper filter is doing its job. Copper level going down. pH is improving but still too low. At least within the "recommended range" now. We're cornering the potash market. Makes lots of pretty foam when it reacts with the acid.

WickerBill
07-24-15, 09:28 PM
One of two things:

1. You have algae that is eating the chlorine immediately. You desperately need to shock the pool with massive amounts of chlorine and keep the level high.

2. You need to add cyanuric acid (commonly known as stabilizer). It protects chlorine against the sunlight - without it, your chlorine will burn right off, especially if you're adding the chlorine in direct sunlight.

You can get it in powder form or liquid. Liquid is rare but far faster to become active. The powder is more stable but takes a while.

So how can you tell which? You need to test, or have the pool store test, the water for "dead" chlorine or "combined" chlorine. If present, that indicates the chlorine was used up fighting algae. If not present, the chlorine is burning off in the sun.

TravelGal
07-25-15, 01:22 PM
One of two things:

1. You have algae that is eating the chlorine immediately. You desperately need to shock the pool with massive amounts of chlorine and keep the level high.

2. You need to add cyanuric acid (commonly known as stabilizer). It protects chlorine against the sunlight - without it, your chlorine will burn right off, especially if you're adding the chlorine in direct sunlight.

You can get it in powder form or liquid. Liquid is rare but far faster to become active. The powder is more stable but takes a while.

So how can you tell which? You need to test, or have the pool store test, the water for "dead" chlorine or "combined" chlorine. If present, that indicates the chlorine was used up fighting algae. If not present, the chlorine is burning off in the sun.

No algae. Have put in both the massive amounts of shock and the stabilizer at appropriate timing. As our pool guy friend says, it's a massive chemistry experiment. As you say, treat and test, treat and test, treat and test. This morning was the first morning we woke up and looked at the pool and saw blue not green. I had not heard of the "dead" chlorine test but then I'm the TravelGal, not the PoolGal. It was all news to me because it has basically (no pun intended) been fine for the last 30 years we've lived here. I appreciate all the information. It's starting to make sense to me now. I'll follow up. Thanks!!!

TravelGal
08-10-15, 09:31 PM
Sorry I haven't gotten back to this. The next day after WB's post, TravelGuy headed back to IPGuy. Fortunately, at least some of the Lesley's guys really know their stuff. I don't know how the conversation went but it was concluded that 2/3 of the chlorine was "hidden" which I take to be the same as "dead." Another in the arsenal of chemicals was sold to and then administered by TravelGuy. Since the day following that application, the pool has been fine. Thanks everyone. You helped a lot and, even at "this distance" knew more than many of the people who were looking at actual water samples.

WickerBill
08-11-15, 01:30 AM
Jolly good show. If I could take care of pools for a living and make what I make now, I'd do it. Like the challenge of it.

nrc
08-11-15, 12:46 PM
I wonder how much the top pool guys in Hollywood or Las Vegas get paid. Getting enough chlorine in those pools without causing chemical burns has to be quite a challenge.

pfc_m_drake
08-11-15, 08:46 PM
It seems like, here in South Florida, about 1/10 cars on the road is towing a small utility trailer with a sign on the side that says 'InsertNameHere's Pool Service'. Usually in the utility trailer is about 50 jugs of liquid chlorine.

@TravelGal - glad you finally turned the corner!!! Best of luck the rest of the season.