PDA

View Full Version : More cars as early as 2006?

pchall
08-17-05, 11:42 AM
From Kirby's Inside Track (http://www.champcarworldseries.com/News/Article.asp?ID=9558) for this week:

In fact, Jerry Forsythe confirmed that the level of interest in the series is building rapidly.

"A number of teams from other series have approached us and I'm very confident that you're going to see several teams join the Champ Car World Series for 2006," Forsythe said.

Interesting comment from the man who is usually rather quiet about the series. I'm suprised by the notion of teams wanting to start in 2006 instead of waiting for 2007. But after some thought (I do that sometimes) it does seem logical for teams to want in for 2006 so they won't be faced with a new style of racing, a new set of tracks, and a new car all at the same time in 2007.

Andrew Longman
08-17-05, 11:50 AM
And without a lot of thought about who they might be, it makes sense that there would be more teams given Atlantics team that might move up and IRL teams that might be looking to move because a) the yen is no longer there and/or b) CCWS offers lower costs, and/or c) CCWS offers a better package for sponsors.

There are a lot of good things to chew on in that Kirby piece. Interesting how much Forsythe went on about Tracy wanting to try NASCAR.

slow bear
08-17-05, 12:03 PM
[QUOTE=Andrew Longman]... and IRL teams that might be looking to move because a) the yen is no longer there and/or b) CCWS offers lower costs, and/or c) CCWS offers a better package for sponsors.

QUOTE]

Speaking of which, have we heard any more about the IRL team that was going to fold after Indy?
Maybe they'll be switching over next year.

TKGAngel
08-17-05, 12:13 PM
And without a lot of thought about who they might be, it makes sense that there would be more teams given Atlantics team that might move up and IRL teams that might be looking to move because a) the yen is no longer there and/or b) CCWS offers lower costs, and/or c) CCWS offers a better package for sponsors.

There are a lot of good things to chew on in that Kirby piece. Interesting how much Forsythe went on about Tracy wanting to try NASCAR.

Very positive article about the series. I'm thinking Forsythe knows that Tracy is gone after this year, but is being a good sport about it.

And a Darren Manning sighting! Looks like he's not crying into his cornflakes over being fired from TCGR.

SteveH
08-17-05, 12:25 PM
From Kirby's Inside Track (http://www.champcarworldseries.com/News/Article.asp?ID=9558) for this week:

In fact, Jerry Forsythe confirmed that the level of interest in the series is building rapidly.

"A number of teams from other series have approached us and I'm very confident that you're going to see several teams join the Champ Car World Series for 2006," Forsythe said.

Interesting comment from the man who is usually rather quiet about the series. I'm suprised by the notion of teams wanting to start in 2006 instead of waiting for 2007. But after some thought (I do that sometimes) it does seem logical for teams to want in for 2006 so they won't be faced with a new style of racing, a new set of tracks, and a new car all at the same time in 2007.

Remember, 33 is just a number. :gomer:

pchall
08-17-05, 12:49 PM
Remember, 33 is just a number. :gomer:

Yup.

And 22 is just the number for a flyaway race in two 747Cs. Though I have been wondering lately just how many cars could be carried in an A380 cargo...

G.
08-17-05, 01:20 PM
I'm sure it's only a matter of time before Red Bull will announce both team and series sponsorship programs with Champ Car. :eek:

pchall
08-17-05, 01:38 PM
:eek:

I caught that bit from Kirby, too. With Dr. Helmut Marko there to talk to, I'd suspect Kirby is wishing for a company wide Red Bull driver development support program as well as a Champ Car team sponsorship.

FCYTravis
08-17-05, 01:52 PM
The usual suspects will find a way to spin it into "Champ Car has no cars for next year, the series is doomed." :gomer:

JoeBob
08-17-05, 04:41 PM
Remember, Series Sponsorship could be as little as "Official Energy Drink" or as much as "Red Bull ChampCar World Series"

Easy
08-17-05, 05:29 PM
Bridgestone presents the Red Bull Champ Car World Series powered by Ford, brought to you by Roshfrans?

They may want to make it a bit more concise.

Andrew Longman
08-17-05, 05:32 PM
Bridgestone presents the Champ Car World Series powered by Ford fueled by Red Bull :gomer:

Jervis Tetch 1
08-17-05, 06:20 PM
Bridgestone presents the Champ Car World Series powered by Ford fueled by Red Bull :gomer:
:thumbup: :gomer:

JohnnyQ
08-17-05, 09:08 PM
I guess it's just me.....but who cares? I love the series, venues and cars. I just can't ge into any of the drivers. Every single one of these clowns would have been mid-pack and back in Champcars hay-day. I know I should look to the future...but it's hard to watch half these idiots cruise around the track several feet off line and get away with it.

AJ's in-car was a total joke. A complete lap of off-line, speed srubbing on the gas after the apex bull*****.

I know I'm in the minority....but let's get some talent in these cars.

NismoZ
08-17-05, 09:32 PM
Work in progress. (and be careful when lumping "ALL" into the same category.)

fourrunner
08-17-05, 09:37 PM
Lost me at "Every Single One " !

AJ Foyt probably the second greatest driver of the last century ... sucked in CART !

You could also say that some of the Great drivers of CART's "Hayday" might not do so good in the current cars ... it's all opinion

Like would Joe Louis beat Mohammed Ali !

nrc
08-17-05, 09:46 PM
I guess it's just me.....but who cares? I love the series, venues and cars. I just can't ge into any of the drivers. Every single one of these clowns would have been mid-pack and back in Champcars hay-day.

I think the thread from earlier this year asking whether it was the best field ever is closer to the truth than you assessment, although I disagree with both.

JohnnyQ
08-17-05, 09:51 PM
Work in progress. (and be careful when lumping "ALL" into the same category.)

Skating on thin ice....but the top three were on the lead lap. Non of these guys are the *****. Even Bourdais knows where is bread is buttered? If Seabass wins the Championship it would be like a tree falling in the forest. Nobody would here it or care.

The series needs a buzz. Whether you guys like to here it or not the IRL has found theres (Danica). Champcar needs something. This current crop is a bore IMO.

JohnnyQ
08-17-05, 10:01 PM
I think the thread from earlier this year asking whether it was the best field ever is closer to the truth than you assessment, although I disagree with both.

huh :saywhat:

NismoZ
08-17-05, 10:08 PM
Can't believe you think ChampCar needs a "buzz" like Danica is giving the IRL. The PRESS is giving them the buzz, not her. I will not argue popularity vs. excellence ANY more. Sebastian IS the real deal, Danica is a puppet. I like her a lot, I think she understands why and how she is being taken advantage of and probably knows the BEST thing that could happen to her would be to contest the new F-Atlantic Series next season, THEN hope to move into ChampCar in '07. Her gut is telling her what most of us already know about flat-out oval RACING, and her mind is telling her she's better prepared to run an Atlantic/ChampCar schedule. I'm sure she'll just take the cash, though, like so many of her unhappy compatriots over there and hope for some stroke a luck to validate what is being written. She doesn't need a separate autograph line, she needs a million $ bonus check from the League for doing what even Sebastian Bourdais can't do for CC. On that you are correct.

NismoZ
08-17-05, 10:19 PM
Also... Michel Jourdain may have been in Denver to watch and visit, but I feel certain Papis and Manning were there to try to find a job in '06. Like others, Manning will TAKE a ride in the IRL, but he WANTS to race in ChampCar. I think Pantano does, too. It's just a matter of how many seats are around when the season starts. silly Season is upon us, no doubt. I like the level of interest, and hope a few more can be accomodated.

extramundane
08-17-05, 10:23 PM
Also... Michel Jourdain may have been in Denver to watch and visit, but I feel certain Papis and Manning were there to try to find a job in '06.

Unless something changes, I think Papis is quite happy as a GM factory driver.

JohnnyQ
08-17-05, 10:32 PM
Can't believe you think ChampCar needs a "buzz" like Danica is giving the IRL. The PRESS is giving them the buzz, not her. I will not argue popularity vs. excellence ANY more. Sebastian IS the real deal, Danica is a puppet. I like her a lot, I think she understands why and how she is being taken advantage of and probably knows the BEST thing that could happen to her would be to contest the new F-Atlantic Series next season, THEN hope to move into ChampCar in '07. Her gut is telling her what most of us already know about flat-out oval RACING, and her mind is telling her she's better prepared to run an Atlantic/ChampCar schedule. I'm sure she'll just take the cash, though, like so many of her unhappy compatriots over there and hope for some stroke a luck to validate what is being written. She doesn't need a separate autograph line, she needs a million $ bonus check from the League for doing what even Sebastian Bourdais can't do for CC. On that you are correct.

Dude....You're right. Does CC throw money at the wrong ***** or do we go for talent? Bourdais is not the answer. He can win for the next ten years and it won't mean a thing.

fourrunner
08-17-05, 11:00 PM
I don't understand where you say that the current drivers don't hold a candle to the Champ Car "Hayday" guys but then say that Champ Car needs "Buzz" like the IRL has in Danica a mediocre driver at best !

Striving for mediocrity is no way to build a series

nrc
08-18-05, 12:16 AM
huh :saywhat:

Yeah. That's what I say.

Easy
08-18-05, 10:07 AM
Also... Michel Jourdain may have been in Denver to watch and visit, but I feel certain Papis and Manning were there to try to find a job in '06.

Papis was there to race the Cadillac in WCGT.

Andrew Longman
08-18-05, 10:45 AM
Unless something changes, I think Papis is quite happy as a GM factory driver.

He was asked this directly at the Cleveland CCIC meeting. He said that first he is under contract to drive for GM and so until that changes he can't drive for another manufacturer. Second, he said of course he loves driving champ cars and hopes to get back into them down the road but a lot of things would have to come together. (IOW someone, a sponsor or team, would need to pay more than GM).

DjDrOmusic
08-18-05, 12:10 PM
I have a feeling that JohnnyQ would like a hayday with names like Unser, Andretti and Rahal, just give it a few years and at least 2 of them will be plying their trade in Champ Car, IMHO. As for Mikey's kid, I'm not sure that even Grandpa will be able to save him from his fathers grip.

FCYTravis
08-18-05, 01:49 PM
Considering how much Papis is getting paid... someone would *really* have to step up and want him to attract him back to Champ Cars.