PDA

View Full Version : Philly Update - Front Page of the Philly Inquirer

Elmo T
08-17-05, 07:49 AM
Link (http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/12400255.htm?template=contentModules/printstory.jsp)

There is a also a track map in the paper, but not on the web. I'll try to scan it in later and post.

Posted on Wed, Aug. 17, 2005

Critics say races would steer Parkway off course

By Anthony S. Twyman
Inquirer Staff Writer

Holding a high-speed motor race on the Benjamin Franklin Parkway could bring the city millions of dollars in hotel, restaurant and shopping revenue from tourists who would flock to the event, city officials say.

But permanent road changes that actor and race-car aficionado Paul Newman and his colleagues from the Champ Car World Series are seeking would ruin the cultural ambience of the area and derail plans to make the Parkway more pedestrian-friendly, a growing chorus of critics counters.

The proposal, which Newman and his colleagues delivered to the city this month, calls for widening, by as much as 10 feet, sections of the Parkway and a portion of Race Street in front of the Moore College of Art and Design, according to a copy of the proposal obtained by The Inquirer.

The city would be expected to foot the estimated $800,000 bill.

The proposal also calls for several streets to be reconfigured. On a temporary basis, grandstands would be erected, streets shut down, and a half-dozen pedestrian bridges built across the proposed race course.

"They want to turn the Parkway into a 14-lane-wide highway," said Paul Levy, executive director of the Center City District.

With help from the city and private foundations, Levy's agency has led a multimillion-dollar effort to improve streetlights, traffic lights and pedestrian crosswalks on the Parkway.

"We truly believe that the idea of widening roadways and reducing public space is completely contrary to the vision we all hold for the Parkway," states a letter the Parkway Council Foundation sent recently to several city officials and the Fairmount Park Commission's chairman.

The foundation includes high-ranking representatives from the Moore College of Art and Design, the Academy of Natural Sciences, the Franklin Institute, and a variety of other cultural and educational institutions and businesses, such as the Four Seasons Hotel, that are on or near the Parkway.

City officials appear to be listening to the critics.

In an interview, Managing Director Pedro Ramos said the city was planning to contact Champ Car soon and suggest it consider other options for the race.

"Our next step is to communicate formally with Champ Car organizers and see if they want to jointly explore other venues," Ramos said.

He said Champ Car's proposal was "thoughtful" but did not seem feasible because it raised a lot of concerns in the community.

During a meeting with city officials Aug. 3, Newman, who co-owns a Champ Car racing team, asked them to accept the racing proposal.

Champ Car street races typically draw 150,000 fans and can bring $25 million to $50 million in revenue into the city, mainly through restaurant and hotel bookings, according to previous estimates provided by city officials.

The Champ Car proposal all but rules out Franklin D. Roosevelt Park in South Philadelphia, near the stadium complex, and East and West Fairmount Park, on each side of the Schuylkill - locations city officials had suggested.

The proposal says these locations have hills, lakes and terrain that would require "substantial infrastructure expenditures in order to provide an adequate racing surface, while still lacking in the necessary open spaces" for grandstands, staging areas and hospitality areas.

Instead, as thousands of visitors to Philadelphia have done before them, the Champ Car officials fell in love with the Parkway, from the Philadelphia Museum of Art to Logan Circle.

What's not to love?

The Parkway, the proposal says, has "stunning beauty," is a "world class" venue, and has an "unusual amount" of open green space, which would be good for grandstands, hospitality areas and general viewing. It also has numerous hotels nearby, the proposal states, for the drivers and their fans.

It is the recommended infrastructure changes that have critics upset.

Champ Car, for example, proposes to widen by eight to 10 feet the one-way, two-lane road that is adjacent to the Parkway and heads toward the Art Museum. It wants the road, which is near the Free Library of Philadelphia, widened from 20th Street to 22d Street so that it meets Champ Car's 40-foot minimum-width requirement.

The proposal also calls for widening Race Street by 10 feet between Logan Circle and 20th Street in front of Moore College to give the race cars room to maneuver.

"It's totally incongruous with what we're trying to do," said Happy Fernandez, Moore president.

Moore started a sidewalk cafe in April, Fernandez said, and has created a small sculpture park nearby. "We've been trying to create a pedestrian, visitor, come-and-enjoy-the-Parkway atmosphere," she said.

Larry Needle, executive director of the Philadelphia Sports Congress, a division of the Philadelphia Convention and Visitors Bureau, said he understood the concerns of the Parkway institutions but hoped a mutually acceptable location could be found.

"Hopefully, we can reach some common ground," Needle said.

fourrunner
08-17-05, 08:53 AM
Well the Parkway will probably be out ... Cities got to look long term, not at one race, and with the money so far invested, and the long term planning for making The Parkway more pedestrian friendly will probably take priority.

I can't argue with that

But it looks like the City wants to try and come up with other options .. I'm thinking that Champ Car came in with the Parkway "Only" option thinking "just Move on that" ... I'm sure they also figure a second option could work but it will require more effort... so go with the Best option only..

They'll figure something out ... I'm hoping Champ Car is as enthusiastic about Racing here as the City is about wanting them here !

But the Parkway sure would look nice on TV, and show the city off well!

Warlock!
08-17-05, 09:03 AM
...said Happy Fernandez...
Sounds more like Disgruntled Fernandez.

Mike Lawler
08-17-05, 09:17 AM

HAPPY???????????? Who in there right minds would name their kid Happy? :eek:

Elmo T
08-17-05, 09:33 AM
We are members at both the Franklin Institute and the Academy of Natural Sciences - both would be on the proposed circuit. I think there could be reasonable compromises to improve the pedestrian walkways (much needed) while completing the majority of the proposed work. This is not a case of "doing the impossible." It would certainly rule out a 2006 race. The city will be missing out if they don't work to make this happen.

Gangrel
08-17-05, 11:59 AM

...not to be confused with Dirty Sanchez... :D

Joe in LA
08-17-05, 02:03 PM
Reconfiguring Race Street for a race seems inherently right.

Andrew Longman
08-17-05, 02:19 PM
I don't know Philly politics as I might, but this smells a bit like various interests holding up a wanted project to extract what they can.

Still, the objective of making the Parkway more pedestrian friendly is dead on right. It's a fabulous section of the city and a jewel that car traffic has screwed up.

What needs to happen is to layout the track in a way such that it brings foot (race) traffic to that section of the city and hopefully keeps it coming back after the race.

This is exactly the right place for the race for all the reasons PN and other describe. To do it anywhere else is a missed opportunity for CCWS and the city.

I look at it this way. If they can run over RR tracks, if they can get Burke Airport back open in only a few hours, if they can put together something as fantastic as Edmonton, then they ought to be able to do things like widen Race St and convert part if it to a sidewalk sculpture garden with concrete planters and such by the next day.

Elmo T
08-17-05, 02:33 PM
From the Inquirer, the proposed track map. If this doesn't work, I assure you that the track is NOT a big red "X".

http://www.champcarfanatics.com/gallery/data//500/307Map_002-med.jpg

Wheel-Nut
08-17-05, 02:54 PM
Now that is a good looking course.

KLang
08-17-05, 02:56 PM
Looks great. :thumbup:

What about the length?

Hard Driver
08-17-05, 03:35 PM
Would be nice. not sure about the length, but does seem a bit short to me. However, the track would be real nice, looks like it would make decent racing and the views would be impressive racing around a fountain in Logan square and in front of the Rocky steps on the Art Museum, and much more. Probably would be the best looking street course on the ciruit as far as trackside architecure, etc. I hope they can pull it off.

Personally I don't see how widening Race Street is going to anything negative to the "pedestrian" feel in the long run. And getting local fans to the area can't but help the local businesses. Some creative thinking, like making a removable sidewalk that can be installed and removed on Race Street or something might need to get done.

Wheel-Nut
08-17-05, 03:45 PM
Satellite Photo Link of the area, I hope!!

http://tinyurl.com/8669d

fourrunner
08-17-05, 05:35 PM
I suggest Paul Newman ask "Happy" Fernandez out on a Date ! ;)

I would be surprised if half of City Council got out of High School ! They should arrange trips to the other cities that have the events and see how they deal with it ... They can charge it to the taxpayer and make a week vacation out of each stop ... they will have NO problem doing that, trust me!! :eek:

Looks like the track is 1 3/4 - 1 7/8 miles long

Jervis Tetch 1
08-17-05, 06:21 PM
Looks pretty good.

NismoZ
08-17-05, 07:39 PM
Now, THAT looks like a fast and interesting street course with actual curves, as opposed to corners only. Hope it's closer to 2.0 mi. than not. A few things: don't panic yet, AL is right on when he says it sounds like people are chiming in to "get what's theirs". Happens all the time. Also, newspapers ALWAYS have to tell "the people" what it's going to cost them ($800,000 in improvements!) and often paint it as a giveaway to money-grubbing businessmen (CC), but $50 MILLION in added revenue to local businesses should make that up fairly quickly. Mayor Byrne in Chicago could NOT hammer that home to the selfish ward aldermen who wanted that cash "to fill potholes, not fat-cat's pockets!" That was a 1981 Carl Haas/Mario Andretti led Can Am proposal, but that quote is pretty close to exact! I think King Carl was trying to become the Chris Pook of the Midwest, but the idea was shot down by very myopic "politicians." Too bad, because we can ALL see how the race in Long Beach resulted in a huge turnaround in that city's fortunes! See, wider streets mean narrower sidewalks. To the inner-city elite cars are evil... and fast, LOUD cars are even worse! My prediction, however, is the vision of $50 million, (EVERY YEAR, if they work at it!) wins out! (Denver has worked out those necessary compromises.)

fourrunner
08-17-05, 08:22 PM
NismoZ

despite my sarcasm towards the Philly Politicians ... They usually do settle their disputes with compromise ... but it usually does take some wheeling & dealing ... that $ 800,000.00 is chump change plus some Police overtime every year ( which the Promoter would probably pick up anyway) , against the $250,000,000.00 over 5 years in impact money the City / Business community will receive !

You have to write it in Crayon for some of these guys!!

They'll work it out!!

L1P1
08-17-05, 08:37 PM
That's a really great article. I was a little concerned the way it started out, but I think it gives us some perspective on why we often think this or that aspect of a track is Mickey Mouse and wonder why 'those idiots' didn't fix it. Answer: They wanted to do it but weren't allowed to.

I'm not familiar with the area or local politics, but it seems like the location is not the problem. Modifying the location is. Here's to creative solutions....

nrc
08-17-05, 09:07 PM
Looks great. :thumbup:

What about the length?

http://tinyurl.com/byde3

Looks like 1.9 miles for the preferred version.

I don't blame folks for not wanting to turn a nice parkway into a sea of pavement. Creative solutions should be sought on both sides. If Detroit can bury an entire straight for all but one weekend a year surely Philly can come up with some kind of removable landscaping.

devilmaster
08-17-05, 09:11 PM
http://tinyurl.com/byde3

Looks like 1.9 miles for the preferred version.

I don't blame folks for not wanting to turn a nice parkway into a sea of pavement. Creative solutions should be sought on both sides. If Detroit can bury an entire straight for all but one weekend a year surely Philly can come up with some kind of removable landscaping.

The actual part that was buried was not all that big.....

by google earth its 0.11 miles

But it can be done.... Chicago Motor Speedway was a horse track the rest of the year with a few feet of dirt around the track...