PDA

View Full Version : Mikwaukee Mile News

pchall
08-17-05, 06:40 AM
JS link (http://www.jsonline.com/news/metro/aug05/348587.asp)

Mile deal could ease Fair Park's burden
Investor would operate racetrack, build hotel nearby

By ANNYSA JOHNSON
anjohnson@journalsentinel.com
Posted: Aug. 15, 2005

West Allis - A real estate investor with a background in sports marketing has agreed to take over management of the troubled Milwaukee Mile racetrack in return for an opportunity to develop a hotel, retail and entertainment complex on state-owned land along W. Greenfield Ave.

Chock full of interesting tidbits about what has transpired at the State Fair Park lately as the Board tried to manage its major venues on its own.

NismoZ
08-18-05, 08:15 AM
Interesting how far FTG's vision has reached! (Think these guys would like to see a "unification?) And, racing in Wisconsin IS on the line. Too bad a revitalized Mile would probably work against CC returning to RA, but the geography of the thing might result in that. I hope the partners give as much attention to the track (SAFETY walls) as they do the hotel and retail aspects. There was never a problem finding hotel space in Milwaukee and much of the crowd was one day drive-ups from the Chicago area anyway. I wish them well, but all their talent and good planning will not help them as much as a change in the climate of major auto racing in the US.

Tim
08-18-05, 01:41 PM
Exactly. Mile and the title sponsor did everything right and the race still failed miserably. Time to go back to RA.

Andrew Longman
08-18-05, 02:20 PM
I do wish them well and hope CC continues (though successfully) at the Mile. However, as much as I enjoy racing there (its one of the last ovals flat enough to be interesting) I would never travel to Milwaukee for a race there. I have and would travel to RA in a heartbeat to see CC there.

KLang
08-18-05, 02:32 PM
I would never travel to Milwaukee for a race there. I have and would travel to RA in a heartbeat to see CC there.

Ditto. Too bad there aren't more of us. There used to be....

Al Czervik
08-18-05, 02:38 PM
Ditto. Too bad there aren't more of us. There used to be....

I'm beginning to think that there will be again. Yeah, I know, shameless cheerleading, bfd.

patski
08-18-05, 03:37 PM
You should try Milwaukee some time. Great track, great town. I know. I've been going most of the time for the last 40 years. So is Elkhart Lake.

Andrew Longman
08-18-05, 03:56 PM
You should try Milwaukee some time. Great track, great town. I know. I've been going most of the time for the last 40 years. So is Elkhart Lake.

I know Milwaukee well and like it. I went to school in Michigan's UP where GB and Milwaukee are considered civilization. I travel to the region on business all the time. If it was more convenient to NJ I would go. But the promise of seeing on track action from 8am to 7pm at places like Cleveland, as well as the opportunity to camp at the track at RA, or take in the sights in TO or Montreal, get me to go there. There typically is not enough going on at an oval event to justify long distance travel.

mueber
08-18-05, 06:32 PM
40 years ago I went to Milwaukee to see a family friend drive in a USAC stock car race. I hadn't been there again until this year's Champ Car race. I shouldn't have waited so long. I had flashbacks during the ARCA race.

I've been to Road America and loved it, but given a choice between anyone enthusiastic at Milwaukee and George B. at Road America, I'll take Milwaukee, or anywhere else where the “promoter” promotes.

NismoZ
08-18-05, 07:32 PM
Correct. And I hope that's what this new team does. I can't help believing, however, the track MAY become secondary to the hotel and retail aspects of the business. All I know is attending a short oval AND a long road course ChampCar race each summer helped make me a fan of a diverse schedule that I remain to this day. The best test of driver skill and team coordination racing ever saw!