PDA

View Full Version : Another race bites the dust

pchall
08-16-05, 11:49 AM
Oh, no! They've killed Phoenix!

link (http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/sports/articles/0816irl0816.html)

The Indy Racing League left Phoenix in the dust for 2006...
That became official Monday, an expected decision but jolting nonetheless for a track that has showcased open wheel racing since it opened in 1964.

Of course, we've long realized that top level openwheel racing at PIR went on life support in 1996, but after a decade in a coma the old Spring date finally has had the plug pulled.

What a shame.

Wally
08-16-05, 11:57 AM
Is that dust or ashes?

Another venue that couldn't sell the vision. So whats the official body count at now for these last wonderful ten years? :shakehead Although I have enjoyed attending and watching ChampCar and would welcome a successful event at PIR I don't think the time is right for adding any ovals.......and sadly may never be. :(

RichK
08-16-05, 12:06 PM
I really hope ChampCar picks up PIR, I'll drive all the way down for that one. Watching ChampCars fly out of Turn 4 onto the front straight at Phoenix is magic!

oddlycalm
08-16-05, 12:39 PM
Phoenix used to be a great race and it was part of my spring haj for many years. Not sure if it could be revived at this point. Unfortunately, KK would probably prefer a street race in downtown along the lines of the F1 race.

oc

rabbit
08-16-05, 12:44 PM
Add me to the list of people who would like Phx on the sked.

Winston Wolfe
08-16-05, 12:45 PM
A PHX spting race would be great, with the current cars and engines. Crank the boost a little bit, give them some P-to-P and let 'em go !

Fill in the gap nicely after LBGP.

Goodyear Avondale and the surrounding community areas are BOOMING for real estate, development and new population.

Weather should be good as well, no too hot yet, etc.

I'm THERE if it happens.

Just need to work with the track and the promoters and get it happening !

rabbit
08-16-05, 05:25 PM
http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/index.php?sty=46268

Would PIR consider bringing in IRL’s open-wheel rival, the Champ Car World Series, in the future? "Not at this point,’ Sperber said. "You should never say never. We’re not out actively soliciting anybody in terms of adding to the schedule."

cart7
08-16-05, 07:41 PM
I'm still trying to take in an American oval racing series, the irl, dropping an oval race(Kansas) from 4th of July weekend, America's Independance day, and replacing it with a street race in Canada. http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/cwm/cwm/uhoh3.gif

dando
08-16-05, 08:09 PM
The decision to eliminate the Valley race comes despite the fact that female driver Danica Patrick makes her home in Scottsdale, and the IRL has benefited from marketing Patrick's image.

But, but, but....what about The Danicle Factor in '06? Surely that woulda increased attendance from past years.... :gomer:

-Kevin

pchall
08-16-05, 08:39 PM
... So whats the official body count at now for these last wonderful ten years?

Dover ... Loudon ... Charlotte ... Atlanta ... Orlando ... Nazareth ... Gateway ... Phoenix ...

I'd love a return to PIR, but it doesn't seem probable or likely in the near future. As for a Phoenix street race -- they ran a GP there three times, but nobody attended and fewer people remember.

PS: where's Burt Backracked to write a Beach Boys like song when we need him? :)

JohnHKart
08-16-05, 10:12 PM
Let's see, let's do the math. The ISC and Nascar seem to be totally anti Cart, they even are so "out to get" Cart/OWRS that they cancelled the always successful fall 500 race and gave it to the IRL. So I can't see OWRS picking up any IRL dates any time soon.

John

DaveL
08-16-05, 10:12 PM
Dover ... Loudon ... Charlotte ... Atlanta ... Orlando ... Nazareth ... Gateway ... Phoenix ...

You left out Vegas. That's 9 ovals dropped from the IRL schedule. CART dropped 5 from 1979-1995 when they were "abandoning the ovals". The great protector of oval racing is one track away from doubling up CART.

pchall
08-16-05, 10:25 PM
You left out Vegas. That's 9 ovals dropped from the IRL schedule. CART dropped 5 from 1979-1995 when they were "abandoning the ovals". The great protector of oval racing is one track away from doubling up CART.

Thanks for jogging my rapidly failing memory.

cart7
08-16-05, 10:31 PM
This was the first year the earl ticket sales weren't tied to a Nascar package.
It showed.

My guess is Phoenix and whomever the promoter was if it wasn't the track, was probably wanting some backup from ftg to cover losses if another debacle like this years arose. Tony probably didn't like the odds without Nascar's coattails there to bail him out.

DaveL
08-16-05, 11:13 PM
Thanks for jogging my rapidly failing memory.

It's what I do :)

I doubt you'd find one person willing to take the bet that the Earl won't lose another track and officially double up on CART in the number of ovals on the schedule but no longer.

eiregosod
08-17-05, 05:58 PM
phoenix gone. Pantano signs with Ganassi, lemmings worried about AGR blocking tactics, larry curry caught cheating for vision racing. watch those lemmings dance ;)

Jervis Tetch 1
08-17-05, 06:13 PM
You left out Vegas. That's 9 ovals dropped from the IRL schedule. CART dropped 5 from 1979-1995 when they were "abandoning the ovals". The great protector of oval racing is one track away from doubling up CART.I ought to send this post to Wilke. But he'd probably twist, turn and revise the history into something of an I*L victory.

In the meantime, this would be great for Champ Car to make a return. I for one would attend it as it's only a five hour drive or 1 hour plane ride.

RichK
08-17-05, 06:23 PM
phoenix gone. Pantano signs with Ganassi, lemmings worried about AGR blocking tactics, larry curry caught cheating for vision racing. watch those lemmings dance ;)

What's up with Larry Curry? I checked Trackforum but didn't see a thread.

BTW, it's amazing that most of them haven't heard of Pantano. Real racing fans, indeed.

eiregosod
08-17-05, 09:12 PM
What's up with Larry Curry? I checked Trackforum but didn't see a thread.

BTW, it's amazing that most of them haven't heard of Pantano. Real racing fans, indeed.

the thread about Larry is in the IPS forum there.

as for Pantano, well lets say that lemmings never understood the vision in the first place.

Napoleon
09-15-05, 07:24 PM

Ah, the vision at work!

devilmaster
09-15-05, 07:31 PM

... Vegas ... Pike's Peak ... California...

Final Count - 11 :eek:

And CART only gave up on 5 ovals.....

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA *breathe* HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

whew.... I needed that... :D