PDA

View Full Version : Saw this elsewhere

pfc_m_drake
08-16-05, 08:52 AM
http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050816/SPORTS01/508160402/1052

Apparently Mark Shapiro, ESPN's executive vice president of programming and production, believes there needs to be more of an emphasis on marketing Danica Patrick in the future for the IRL. I guess the constant emphasis placed on marketing Patrick since early May hasn't been good enough for him. :saywhat:

I'm not a Danica hater by any means - and I know you milk a good thing for all you can - but this a crazy amount of hype and pressure to be placing on anybody...let alone a 23 year old rookie.

nrc
08-16-05, 10:26 AM
So The Partner says dump Japan. I guess the The Partner doesn't realize that the folks who are paying the bill for The Danica are pretty invested in that race.

Sean O'Gorman
08-16-05, 10:34 AM
What the IRL needs is more cowbell

http://img167.exs.cx/img167/2053/cowbell3fr.jpg

Wally
08-16-05, 11:10 AM
Is Shapiro not the "we are going with Tonys horse" dork? I'd speculate that some jobs are on the line if things don't turn real quick..... :D

devilmaster
08-16-05, 11:18 AM
and I know you milk a good thing for all you can

Well, you see, with Danica, thats a problem.

rabbit
08-16-05, 12:37 PM
What the IRL needs is more cowbellThe IRL already tried a cow belle.
http://www.lvrj.com/lvrj_home/2000/May-25-Thu-2000/photos/sports.jpg

Winston Wolfe
08-16-05, 12:49 PM
speaking of cowbell, where's Dave 99 these days ?

This guy Shapiro is out of his mind. Has he actually watched an EARL Race this year. I tuned in during a break this weekend and saw a camera specifically devoted to Danica slowing on the back stretch while they were "wheel to wheel at over 170 MPH on the front straight !" and the leaders were doing their thing....

There is no more coverage they can offer, other than making a seperate channel for her over on ESPN or the deuce, while ABC carries the race with everyone other than "The Rookie Sensation" and "Highest Female Finisher in the History of the .1RL500".....

Unreal ! :rolleyes:

RacinM3
08-16-05, 12:51 PM
The IRL already tried a cow belle.
http://www.lvrj.com/lvrj_home/2000/May-25-Thu-2000/photos/sports.jpg

hahahaha....harsh!

devilmaster
08-16-05, 12:51 PM
Well, Shapiro needs to do his part. Danica didn't win any espy's last month....

tsk, tsk. Some partner, can't even cheat the chosen one into an award.

oddlycalm
08-16-05, 01:08 PM
Shapiro needs to lay off the Peruvian marching dust for 15 minutes and take a reality check. ABC/ESPN is already into deep Danica oversaturation. No matter how hard you push her it's not going to kick start the dead horse that is the EARL.

oc

Chitowncartfreak
08-16-05, 02:11 PM
Fine - push on Danica a little harder. The harder they push, the worse her performance. As her performance drops off, people will lose interest in "Danicamania" more quickly. Bottom line - the harder they push, the faster it goes away. Right now, she is all story and no substance.

fourrunner
08-16-05, 02:19 PM
She's really just an Average Race Driver ...

But I guess that would put you in the pantheon of the Indy Racing League !

Idea's like Shapiro has will just destroy her.. she will never .. ever match her Press!

Andrew Longman
08-16-05, 02:34 PM
Fine - push on Danica a little harder. The harder they push, the worse her performance. As her performance drops off, people will lose interest in "Danicamania" more quickly. Bottom line - the harder they push, the faster it goes away. Right now, she is all story and no substance.

She has to at least do better than her teammates, which right now she is not.

ABC is right in one aspect. She is lightning in a bottle and people will lose interest soon whether she wins or not. Now is the time to use her to promote the series (and other drivers), not to promote her alone.

There were signs all over Watkins Glen with Danica's face plastered large promoting her visit to the IRL race in September. My 6 year old recognizes her. My 12 year old says this "Danica stuff has gotten way out of control" and my 10 year old daughter still likes Danica from her Atlantics days, but follows Legge now because "she's won races".

Two races in a row Danica has started out front and then disappeared and people are getting bored.

Chitowncartfreak
08-16-05, 03:54 PM
She has to at least do better than her teammates, which right now she is not.

She's actually doing better than Rice in terms of points, but considering Rice missed the 500, this is not saying a lot. Meira has blown her out of the water. Again, there is nothing here worth marketing more aggressively. She's a woman - so what. Shirley Muldowney already broke this barrier (and was successful to boot).

cart7
08-16-05, 10:43 PM
If you read on, he says he wants to start the season in April with a couple races, then May is trashed with Indy and then run the rest of the races before the first week in Sept. Then 7 months off till the next season starts. :rofl:

Real good thinking there Mark. More Danica, a 7 month layoff and then drop the oval owned by the real owner of the earl. I'd say he gets it. :gomer:

pchall
08-17-05, 07:53 AM
Real good thinking there Mark. More Danica, a 7 month layoff and then drop the oval owned by the real owner of the earl. I'd say he gets it. :gomer:

Actually, during the 7 month layoff they will cover Danica's pregnancy daily getting their massive audience ready for the next season of shows where she will drive a special Panoz-Honda two-seater in all the races. A second driver cam will feature Danica, Jr. hoping that she will flip the bird at Marco Andretti during a pass...

TKGAngel
08-17-05, 08:28 AM
Actually, during the 7 month layoff they will cover Danica's pregnancy daily getting their massive audience ready for the next season of shows where she will drive a special Panoz-Honda two-seater in all the races. A second driver cam will feature Danica, Jr. hoping that she will flip the bird at Marco Andretti during a pass...

Good one. :rofl:

I can see the promos now, not only is she a racer, she's a mother. See her juggle 2am feedings, and a grueling Indy Car schedule.

There were signs all over Watkins Glen with Danica's face plastered large promoting her visit to the IRL race in September. My 6 year old recognizes her. My 12 year old says this "Danica stuff has gotten way out of control" and my 10 year old daughter still likes Danica from her Atlantics days, but follows Legge now because "she's won races".

Your kids are smart. What's going to happen to Danica when the next great female driver comes along? The IRL's already proven that they drop their female cash cows like hot potatoes when the next younger, prettier, faster female comes along (See: Sarah Fisher).

Andrew Longman
08-17-05, 11:34 AM

I'm thinking a weekly reality show a la the Jessica Simpson tracking her engagement, wedding, team meetings, pregnancy, sponsor oblibations, childbirth, 2 am feedings, race preparations, and the struggles of her new husband to cope with her fame.

TKGAngel
08-18-05, 08:23 AM
Saw on my MediaPost e-newsletter this morning that Mark Shapiro has left ESPN to go work for the Red Zone, which is a private investment firm owned by Dan Snyder of the Washington Redskins. Maybe the all-Danica, all the time plan didn't go over too well with TPTB?

FCYTravis
08-18-05, 02:04 PM
:rofl: