PDA

View Full Version : 28 years ago...The King

DjDrOmusic
08-15-05, 10:29 AM
28 Years ago today, I was sitting in the news room at WZZP radio in Cleveland, a 17 year old kid, in broadcasting school, learning the ends and outs of newscasting in a major market. Suddenly an alarm went off on the news ticker and the DJ on the air went to look, he brought a piece of paper into the room and asked me where the news person was. When I told him that he had walked next door to the Chinese restaurant, he said, "well kid, welcome to the big leagues...YOU'RE ON!!" I rushed to the microphone, put on my headphones and then started, what is comonly called a "cold" read, over the air. I will never forget the words that came out of my mouth, "Ladies and Gentlemen, we have just recieved word that Elvis Presley has died at his home in Memphis, Tennesee." For me it was one of those moments that will always be vivid in my mind, like November of 1963, or the day my first son was born. He changed music forever, and he will always be, IMHO, The King.

Turn7
08-15-05, 10:46 AM
Nice memory...a day early though.

8/16/77.

DjDrOmusic
08-15-05, 11:33 AM
Nice memory...a day early though.

8/16/77.

yep, I know, I've had 16 on the brain all day for some reason :o

but tonight is the vigil at Graceland, and you can watch it live by going here ELVIS (http://www.elvis.com/elvisweek/vigilcast/default.asp) :)

WestMcLarenF1
08-16-05, 12:24 PM
Unfortunately, today being my birthday, I get to wake up every year and hear that Elvis died on this day <fill in the blank> years ago. In other birthday related news, it's also Madonna's birthday as well. :rolleyes:

Dvdb
08-16-05, 02:14 PM
and in related Madonna/birthday news:

oops (http://www.cnn.com/2005/SHOWBIZ/Music/08/16/people.madonnainjured.ap/index.html)

Turn7
08-16-05, 02:21 PM
Unfortunately, today being my birthday, I get to wake up every year and hear that Elvis died on this day <fill in the blank> years ago. In other birthday related news, it's also Madonna's birthday as well. :rolleyes:

And that is the same reason I knew that this thread was started a day early.

When you wake up to the morning news bemoaning "the kings" death for the last 23 years of your birthday, you know when he died without having to look it up. :D

HB!