PDA

View Full Version : Collectable?

Gangrel
08-15-05, 10:03 AM
Ok, need to hear from some of you who collect diecasts. Over the weekend, I picked up a 1998 Reynard TCGR 1:18. It was priced at the original sale price. It was the only Champ Car the guy had on his shelves. But that alone wasn't reason enough for me to buy it...

On the nose, the car has the #1. On the rear wing endplate, it's got....wait for it....#12!

I am wondering if any of you know if this was a well-known flaw or a deliberate design, or if this might be a one-of-a-kind goof up. Any and all input is welcome. Thanks!

RTKar
08-15-05, 10:13 AM
I have a ton of diecast and I've never seen or heard of anything like it but being that they're declas, I'd imagine it would be easy to duplicate a mistake.

Gangrel
08-15-05, 11:08 AM
I have a ton of diecast and I've never seen or heard of anything like it but being that they're declas, I'd imagine it would be easy to duplicate a mistake.

FWIW, it is still sealed in the box. Never been opened, still taped. I'll get a pic up here when I get a chance.

theunions
08-15-05, 03:50 PM
This is ERTL instead of Action, correct? If so it's goofy no matter what numbers are on it...ERTL Reynards skyrocket in value once someone like Phantom turns them into Toyota Atlantic Swifts.

RichK
08-15-05, 03:53 PM
I think the "2" just fell off the nose. :D

rabbit
08-15-05, 04:05 PM
Remember the Honda commercial when the Honda engineers pulled the No. 2 off Jimmy's car since he had won the championship? You musta got that car.

Gangrel
08-15-05, 05:02 PM
lol Thanks a lot, guys. I figured for the $25 the guy wanted for it, it was worth the gamble, especially considering the defect. '98 Ertl Zanardi, according to the latest book, is fetching $50. According to the same book, '98 Vasser is getting $40. I guess the worst thing that happens is I have a $25 paperweight.

Classic Apex
08-15-05, 11:49 PM
If you don't mind my asking, what 'book' are you using?

I've always wondered the value of my diecasts.

Gangrel
08-16-05, 09:51 AM
If you don't mind my asking, what 'book' are you using?

I've always wondered the value of my diecasts.

Brother-in-law had it. I am not sure which book it is, but I can find out for you.