PDA

View Full Version : New Chassis Announcement...

NismoZ
08-14-05, 09:27 PM
soon? My guess is with Lola so busy with A1GP they may just want to sell ChampCar on the "update" idea. Don't settle for that! Talk is the choice will be a SINGLE manufacturer. Count Swift out as they will be REALLY busy with Atlantics. With recent talk of CC/ALMS co-operation, the Elan/Force-10 merger (Panoz) and Van Dieman buyout...I'm thinking they just might be the guys! I haven't read about any others making a bid. Danged if this 5 year plan isn't just moving right along!

coolhand
08-14-05, 09:39 PM
i wish there were two Mfcs. but anyway...

the update idea doesn't do it for me, teams have been minimally updating these lola's anyway, compare them from 02-05.

i think a shorter wheel base may be in order.

NismoZ
08-14-05, 09:59 PM
Yeah... shorter, narrower, lighter, more powerful , faster and safer! I don't want much.

fourrunner
08-14-05, 10:50 PM
They have to find a way to enable every team to have a new Chassis for 2007 ... It doesn't make sense to have half the field have New Chassis because they have the money, and the other half have updates !

I don't know the solution but The Amigo's seem to have dealt well with other problems so.....

NismoZ
08-15-05, 10:06 AM
Right...I forgot to say CHEAPER! :) (is all that even possible?)...it may hurt, but I'd prefer not to see the present cars running with the new '07 spec...they should be THAT different in order to take ChampCar to and through the end of the decade. Can't have two "groups" running together like sportscars do. NO present team should be shut out because of costs. You don't think some guys are planning on "moving DOWN" to Atlantics as an economy move, do you? How 'bout a ChampCar Vintage Series as a companion event? Cosworth has PLENTY of old engines, ready to go!

NismoZ
08-15-05, 10:18 AM
AND...did you hear that rumor last night from Denver about the strong possibility of Newman/Haas running a third car next season? Maybe it IS Lola! :)

pchall
08-15-05, 10:43 AM
The initial build program for the new chassis could be 54 cars just to meet the testing and development needs of the existing 18 car field as they prepare for the 2007 opener. 72 complete cars minimum for the existing teams to load up and travel to the season opener. :eek:

I wonder how economies of scale on an intial run that big will enter into the price of a new car? Not only that, but is there enough available production capacity in one place to build that many in the course of perhaps nine months, or will there have to be one or more subcontractors to just get enough tubs ready?

NismoZ
08-15-05, 10:53 AM
I know, exactly. It took Lola a long time to launch that A1 package, that's why I worry about a mere update if CC sticks to the '07 debut. COULD the chassis BE the A1 design with mods to accept a turbo Cosworth? The more they make, the cheaper they'll be! I seem to recall Lola had a little trouble meeting the A1 delivery date for the first 20 chassis, but everything I've read praises these things lately. (except a lot of us calling them "F'ugly!" Without the airbox and a tweaked front wing would they be more acceptable? Could it handle 200 more hp?)