PDA

View Full Version : Must be getting desperate.

mapguy
03-13-03, 07:56 AM
The idiotGrandson is going to be running the junior wanker series the day before pole day. Read the article here. (http://www.tsn.ca/auto_racing/news_story.asp?ID=33120) .

Thanks for upholding the Indy tradition Toney.

sundaydriver
03-13-03, 10:59 AM
Since there wont be any cars for Bump Day, maybe the Idiotgrandson can bring some dancing monkeys or trained elephants doing tricks. :gomer:

RaceGrrl
03-13-03, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by sundaydriver
Since there wont be any cars for Bump Day, maybe the Idiotgrandson can bring some dancing monkeys or trained elephants doing tricks. :gomer:

Helio and Sarah?

mapguy
03-13-03, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by RaceGrrl
Helio and Sarah?

Ba da bing.

DaveL
03-13-03, 12:00 PM
And of course, had CART proposed running a Lights race at Indy back in '92 or '93, it would have been denounced as a heretical disgrace to Indy and one more reason why the takeover tantrum was necessary.

Good thing the IRL was created to uphold and protect the traditions of Indy.

Napoleon
03-13-03, 12:03 PM
Helio and Sarah?

:D

I nominate this for post of the week.

Railbird
03-13-03, 12:38 PM
And of course, had CART proposed running a Lights race at Indy back in '92 or '93, it would have been denounced as a heretical disgrace to Indy and one more reason why the takeover tantrum was necessary.

Truer words were never spoken.

pchall
03-13-03, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by Railbird

Truer words were never spoken.

In the late 70s/ early 80s I used to talk about how great it would be to have Super Vee (aka Mini Indy) or Atlantics run in the boring parts of the Month of May. I was almost lynched by the old dinosaurs hanging out on the inside of Turn 1.

Hurling Frootmig
03-13-03, 01:03 PM
Letting NASCAR in was the dumbest move of all time.

Under Tony's vision the track will be watered down more and more with other series running on it. The diveresity will be his downfall.

pchall
03-13-03, 01:45 PM
Helio and Sarah?

sarah and helio climbing on a fence/
k...i...s...s...i...n...geeeee!/
first came love/
then came marriage/
then came Sarah driving a two-seater Marlboro IPS carriage

sundaydriver
03-13-03, 04:50 PM
Too Funny! :rofl:

Racewriter
03-13-03, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by DaveL

Correctamundo, Dave...

Hot Rod Otis
03-13-03, 06:31 PM

Yep. That was the very 1st thing that popped into my head when I read that. In fact, CART wouldn't have even had to propose a Lights race @ IMS to get the faithful in an uproar. All it would have taken was a quote from a CART owner in an article in RACER or OnTrack suggesting that staging a Lights race @ IMS would be a good idea. That alone would have set the "only Indy matters" crowd into a absolute tizzy. They're still claining that CART was "demanding" that IMS shorten the month of May based solely on a couple of quotes from Rahal and Jacques Villevueve.:rolleyes:

DaveL
03-13-03, 07:25 PM
Hot Rod Otis speaks the truth.

Hink
03-13-03, 07:50 PM
Further proof that the Grandson is a heretic.

nrc
03-13-03, 07:54 PM
Ages ago on RASI I suggested that if Tony George really wanted to get young oval racers into open wheel racing he should create a mostly ovals version of the Indy Lights series. My suggestion was that they should race at IRP the night before the 500. I would never have considered suggesting setting a bunch of feeder series drivers lose on the hallowed brickyard, not even with a field as good as Indy Lights had at the time. A lot of the guys in the IRL "Pro" series wouldn't be fit to drive the tour bus at Indy.

Racewriter
03-13-03, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by nrc
Ages ago on RASI I suggested that if Tony George really wanted to get young oval racers into open wheel racing he should create a mostly ovals version of the Indy Lights series. My suggestion was that they should race at IRP the night before the 500. I would never have considered suggesting setting a bunch of feeder series drivers lose on the hallowed brickyard, not even with a field as good as Indy Lights had at the time. A lot of the guys in the IRL "Pro" series wouldn't be fit to drive the tour bus at Indy.

Look at it this way - with IPS at the Speedway, they can't hurt the Night Before the 500 crowd at IRP.

DaveL
03-13-03, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by nrc
Ages ago on RASI I suggested that if Tony George really wanted to get young oval racers into open wheel racing he should create a mostly ovals version of the Indy Lights series.

And years ago I suggested that if Idiotgrandson was really interested in getting young oval racers on the road to Indy, he could have sponsored a couple of them to run Lights and pay them a salary so they wouldn't lose income from not running their regular sprint aces.

But because Savior was so freaking worried about that, and losing said drivers to NASCAR, he sponsored Stevie Reeves to run BGN.

Go figure.

Ziggy
03-13-03, 10:56 PM
Man on the street told me that the Busch Series and Trucks are right around the corner. The Speedway has become a NASCAR track, and if you dont believe it, just check out all the common sign's that designate the area.

As far as Indy ever being boring before 1995, I never found it so. Even if the entry was weak or down, somebody was trying to haul a car around fast enough to make it into the race. If you paid attention, everything meant something. From Denny Zimmerman trying to get Dick Sommers rebuilt by Don Brown Eagle, or Geoff Brabham trying to coax out enough speed to bump Marco Greco, it was all good.

Yeah Tony, you showed Us. You got "Visions"

Ziggy

DaveL
03-13-03, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by Ziggy
Man on the street told me that the Busch Series and Trucks are right around the corner.

If this happens, and I don't doubt that it will, it will give sponsors even more reasons to not sponsor IRL teams.

Good thing Tony is in charge. He seems to have everything under control.

Railbird
03-13-03, 11:38 PM
Gotta give Dave his props.

I stole your thoughts and used them elsewhere.

With full credit to you.

Hell, Indy Lights at the old speedplant back then would have given Billy Boat, the Raygun, and even the grandson, among many others, a shot at the yard of bricks.

DjDrOmusic
03-14-03, 04:14 AM
A lot of the guys in the IRL "Pro" series wouldn't be fit to drive the tour bus at Indy.

Watch your tongue, you've just given them an idea on how to get more drivers in the 499. I can here Arute now walking up to one of them right after he bumps Billy Boat out of the 23rd and final starting position, "That must be more thrilling than hauling that bus around the track all day Bubba, can you explain the emotion as you crossed the finish line and knew that 167 was good enough to bump your way into the field?":saywhat: :shakehead :D

mnkywrch
03-14-03, 07:47 AM

Because we all know how much love and trust the Hulman/George family had for CART - and vice versa.

sundaydriver
03-14-03, 11:36 AM
[B]Man on the street told me that the Busch Series and Trucks are right around the corner.

OH NO! The Idiotgrandson must be running out of cash! Maybe those rumors of Boy George spending 100 million on the Wreckin' League are true! ;) :gomer:

The hypocracy of all this is amazing. :shakehead

JLMannin
03-14-03, 12:42 PM
Grand-Am can't be too far behind.

pchall
03-14-03, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by JLMannin
Grand-Am can't be too far behind.

Wow.

I bet that event would make the "crowd" at IRP for the WSC race in 1994 look enormous.

Hot Rod Otis
03-14-03, 01:48 PM
I particularly liked "oldtimer"'s post on TF in the IPS thread.

And I quote:

"Less was more. Every time they add something to Indy, they detract from Indy."

"IMS has become a big, cheap, over-milked cash cow. Nothing special about a track that runs IPS in May, Porsche street cars in September and junk in August."

"This is no longer the "Grand Old Gal" of racing. Tony has turned her into a common streetwalker that anybody can ride for a price."

Couldn't agree more. :thumbup:

Ziggy
03-14-03, 05:13 PM
I really love it when the Richard Petty Driving Experience is in town for the week. When is Kyle gonna sign up?????

Ziggy

Spicoli
03-14-03, 06:12 PM
I really love it when the Richard Petty Driving Experience is in town for the week. When is Kyle gonna sign up?????

Ziggy

But the big question is:

Who will be this year's Bobbleheads?:gomer: