PDA

View Full Version : Little Philippe To Atlantics?

NismoZ
08-14-05, 11:31 AM
THIS is the payoff for investing and growing the Atlantics series! Eric Bachelart and Mi-Jack are buying 2 cars and may run 16yr old Richard Philippe next season. Outstanding! This may encourage other teams to invest in the feeder and BOTH series prosper! Are you guessing a ChampCar team might want a piece of that Atlantic bonus prize the FOLLOWING season? Keep the money at home! What a helluv'n idea!! :D

pchall
08-14-05, 11:47 AM
I'd just be watchful of the Champ Car teams trying to lock up all the driver development and team development money at the expense of the Atlantics only squads. Kalkhoven and Forsythe are smart businessmen and I hope they have anticipated this eventuality.

NismoZ
08-14-05, 12:01 PM
I understand. Don't want a CRASHCAR situation but how do you tell ,say a Jimmy Vasser, NOT to look out for young talent and help them along? Tough situation, but I'm guessing a 2nd tier stand-alone Atlantics series MIGHT be part of the answer? No need to "split" the group if you can field 20+ top rung cars. (?)

Sean O'Gorman
08-14-05, 01:09 PM
The last thing you'll ever hear me complain about is that there is too much interest in the ladder series' from the Champ Car teams. I see no issue.

NismoZ
08-14-05, 01:22 PM
Well, sure...if you aren't one of the guys bumped out because you can't afford to play with the big boys any longer, but...that's racing! My guess is those guys will still be racing, just someplace else. I also see little downside to this development.

NismoZ
08-14-05, 09:12 PM
Yep, Denver talk is more than a few ChampCar teams are ordering up the new Swift...to the point where some are questioning whether the chassis maker can meet the demand by Long Beach! Get your orders in early, boys!

NismoZ
08-14-05, 09:16 PM
PS- I see Little Philippe just took the BMW Series lead today, too! I guess he can get his driver's license pretty soon!

pchall
08-14-05, 09:30 PM
I've long thought that Atlantics should develop new Champ Car teams as well as new drivers. If there are too many Champ Car outfits running Atlantics because of the money where will the next RuSport come from?

I'd much prefer to see established Champ Car teams limit themselves to spotting talent and helping those drivers get into Atlantics -- much in the same manner that Kalkhoven and PKV have worked to get Legge and Unser into cars. Remember, Polestar had nothing going until PKV sent Legge their way and then shortly after that the program for Bessette came along. And Brooks Associates seems to have gotten stronger since PKV helped get Unser and his sponsor a place to race after MIPS.

coolhand
08-14-05, 09:34 PM
PS- I see Little Philippe just took the BMW Series lead today, too! I guess he can get his driver's license pretty soon!

he had 35 days of testing before any other kid in the series did this season. His dad bought both seats on autotechnica so the whole team would focus on him.

other people are catching up to his experience in the car and he will get blown away in atlantics.

coolhand
08-14-05, 09:36 PM
I've long thought that Atlantics should develop new Champ Car teams as well as new drivers. If there are too many Champ Car outfits running Atlantics because of the money where will the next RuSport come from?

I'd much prefer to see established Champ Car teams limit themselves to spotting talent and helping those drivers get into Atlantics -- much in the same manner that Kalkhoven and PKV have worked to get Legge and Unser into cars. Remember, Polestar had nothing going until PKV sent Legge their way and then shortly after that the program for Bessette came along. And Brooks Associates seems to have gotten stronger since PKV helped get Unser and his sponsor a place to race after MIPS.

you can argue that PKV will be running two cars in atlantics next year through another set of teams. other might do the same. So they are not forcing out other teams but rather supporting them.

and Mi-jack running a phillipe as a ride buyer is not hurting anyone IMO.

and if you want a new champ car team, tell somone to buy Morris Nunn's shop and equipment or have KK sit on it till another team wants to move on up.

JohnnyQ
08-17-05, 09:15 PM
he had 35 days of testing before any other kid in the series did this season. His dad bought both seats on autotechnica so the whole team would focus on him.

other people are catching up to his experience in the car and he will get blown away in atlantics.

I could be wrong....but when you throw money at any situation in racing it gets better. Atlantics is a very good place to outspend your competitor. Philly jr. will run up front.

NismoZ
08-17-05, 09:36 PM
At Denver Paul Newman spoke very plainly when suggesting N/H would/SHOULD run an Atlantic team next season. (Perhaps this was the "3rd N/H car" rumor?)

coolhand
08-17-05, 09:54 PM
IF NHR could have run 3 Champ Cars they would have ran Da Matta, but they couldn't fit a 3rd team in their shop. So that latest rumor makes little sense.

But an Atlantic program takes alot less room and can piggy back on the shop equipment at NHR.

I all honesty i dont think Atlantics needs another team next year.

NismoZ
08-17-05, 10:29 PM
"I don't think Atlantics needs another team next year." (? Please explain that reasoning and would you be AGAINST a bigger, stronger, more viable series...something ChampCar team involvment could bring?) :confused:

coolhand
08-18-05, 02:42 AM
"I don't think Atlantics needs another team next year." (? Please explain that reasoning and would you be AGAINST a bigger, stronger, more viable series...something ChampCar team involvment could bring?) :confused:

it sounds like there will be at least 25+ cars. more would be great, but i dont see the NEED.

dont get me wrong i am not agianst it.

Easy
08-18-05, 10:13 AM
And who is going to pay for this Atlantics operation, Carl Haas? Yeah right.

cameraman
08-18-05, 12:26 PM
Yeah, God forbid Newman might find a sponsor :rolleyes:

Easy
08-18-05, 02:38 PM
Yes, companies are lining up to sponsor Atlantic operations.

I know that if anyone can get a sponsor for atlantic its PLN and it would be great if he does but that is one amazing sales job. $1mil per car for tape delayed broadcasts on Saturday morning is hard to justify.

FCYTravis
08-18-05, 03:23 PM
http://kadreg.free.fr/perso/HFR/i-want-to-believe-walli.jpg

Easy
08-18-05, 03:32 PM
I still haven't figured out what character that is.

FCYTravis
08-18-05, 03:36 PM
Dude hahhahahahhahaa, I spent an hour searching the Internet the day you posted that trying to figure out WTF it was... and all this time you didn't know either? :rofl:

My best guess is some sort of French or Belgian cartoon thing? :confused:

Anteater
08-18-05, 06:33 PM

It's Wally Gator:
http://www.toonopedia.com/wallygat.htm

I recognized the character immediately because I loved this cartoon as a kiddie!

pchall
08-19-05, 12:43 PM

That is clear proof that the mother of Barney and Yogi played the field.

And lost.