PDA

View Full Version : Busch in the rain...

pchall
08-13-05, 03:05 PM
Damn. I was kinda looking forward to this one and they forgot to order up some wiper blades from NAPA and some rain tires from Goodyear.

cart7
08-13-05, 03:27 PM
I can't believe those wussies won't run in the rain.

coolhand
08-13-05, 03:41 PM
watch alot of tranny failures happen.

extramundane
08-13-05, 03:52 PM
watch alot of tranny failures happen.

Leave Dan Wheldon out of this.

FailureByDesign
08-13-05, 03:59 PM
Leave Dan Wheldon out of this.

:rofl: :shakehead :rofl:

pchall
08-13-05, 04:13 PM
They managed a lovely green/yellow start with just a few drops of the wet stuff on the windsheilds.

Meanwhile, NBC is promoing beach volleyball on CNBC!

pchall
08-13-05, 04:31 PM
Dang. All those minutes of video showing the wet spots... and it still looks damned bad for a pointycar even by mid-70s standards.

cart7
08-13-05, 04:34 PM
WTF is wit that Monza style high banking in T1?? Good grief, they said it was put in for the Indy cars. :shakehead

coolhand
08-13-05, 04:37 PM
they are saw cutting the track? drvers are out of the cars now :rolleyes:

cart7
08-13-05, 04:47 PM
I correct my first remark. These guys aren't wussies, they're pussies. Geebus, all this for a couple weepers. Senna used to run on a half dry track on slicks all the time. I guess Helton will have to get out there with some Scott towels to dab up the last moist spots. :shakehead

coolhand
08-13-05, 04:49 PM
they are going to start green flag single file :rolleyes:

Winston Wolfe
08-13-05, 05:51 PM
Are they gonna let Robby Gordon win.... or figure out a way to take him out ?

OR will HE take himself out by blowin' up that crate motor ?

coolhand
08-13-05, 06:27 PM
i fell asleep in the middle.

but what happened to Robby? i thought he had a good stradegy, or was he banking on a yellow? he is in like 8th now :confused:

coolhand
08-13-05, 06:54 PM
they ****ing screwed robby with that long caution :flame:

pchall
08-13-05, 07:08 PM
Crap.

My NASCAR induced coma was interrupted by some guy going nose first into the outside Armco. My fault for not turning down the volume.

theunions
08-13-05, 07:08 PM
Not surprising, but disappointing nonetheless that Ryan's victory lane interview did not acknowledge the Champ Car driver who he needed coaching from at the Glen and Sears prior to his first road course races just three years ago...

Winston Wolfe
08-13-05, 08:26 PM
Not surprising, but disappointing nonetheless that Ryan's victory lane interview did not acknowledge the Champ Car driver who he needed coaching from at the Glen and Sears prior to his first road course races just three years ago...

sorry t-u.... I missed out on that one.... care to enlighten those of us (namely ME!) who are NOT in "the know"???? :D

Sean O'Gorman
08-13-05, 08:41 PM
A real disappointment that they couldn't run this race in the rain. These guys are good enough that it wouldn't have been a disaster, and the fans would've loved it. Oh well, here's hoping for rain tomorrow! :thumbup:

FCYTravis
08-14-05, 02:50 PM
WTF is wit that Monza style high banking in T1?? Good grief, they said it was put in for the Indy cars. :shakehead
Um, that's the way Watkins Glen Turn 1 has always been. The paved runoff is what they put in for the IndyCar race.

cart7
08-15-05, 07:42 AM
So is a paved runoff better than the gravel? I recall that wreck where Wallace launched off the end of the track and went airborne about halfway before even touching the trap and rearending the foam. Did they pave that old gravel runoff level with the track at an incline up towards the outside fence?

BTW, I just don't remember that banking being there.

Rocketdoc
08-15-05, 06:59 PM
"Senna used to run on a half dry track on slicks all the time."

Indeed, I've seen him run in driving rain with slicks.

In my opinion, records and championships be damned, no better driver ever drove.

And think about it, he didn't have one AJ Foit "gene" in him....

Andrew Longman
08-16-05, 01:14 PM
So is a paved runoff better than the gravel? I recall that wreck where Wallace launched off the end of the track and went airborne about halfway before even touching the trap and rearending the foam. Did they pave that old gravel runoff level with the track at an incline up towards the outside fence?

BTW, I just don't remember that banking being there.

I was there Friday, Saturday and Sunday. T1 is the same as it always was. The runoff is now paved and they have replaced the foam with tires.

I have to say it is a huge improvement. That paving, along with the paving outside T10, cut the number of cautions to a fraction. It also allowed much more passing in T10 and 11 and more agreesiveness in T1. Every race I've been to there saw at least 2-3 cars stuck in those traps.

My remaining concern with T1 is what happens when a driver loses all brakes and Jimmy Johnson did a few years ago and a driver did this weekend when his rotor exploded. Without the traps and foam that will make for a pretty good whallop in to the wall down there. FWIW, the catch fence is very modern and beefy, not the lightweight stuff they had up a few years ago.

As for the esses, I'm not sure what they accomplished by moving the amrco back. You have a more room to put a wheel off, but if you screw up you apex in T2 and turn in too early you'll wind up on the grass and into the armco anyway. Of the accidents I've seen there about half were due to messing up the entry.