PDA

View Full Version : Schiavo To ChampCar?...

NismoZ
08-13-05, 01:33 PM
Mazda champ in '03, 5th in '04 and 4th currently..."I'm ready to move up to the next level." Are Champcars the next level? Is 23 too old to move into the new Atlantics? By "ready" does he just mean he now has the sponsorship to SKIP the next level? Could some informed forum member give me a look at this "ladder" system looking from the top down? Are some of the rungs considered equals? Is there a kart program that may outrank a single-seat car series? I'm certain guys with exceptional talent can "skip a grade" but is that a good idea?

Easy
08-15-05, 10:51 AM
Mazda champ in '03, 5th in '04 and 4th currently..."I'm ready to move up to the next level." Are Champcars the next level? Is 23 too old to move into the new Atlantics? By "ready" does he just mean he now has the sponsorship to SKIP the next level? Could some informed forum member give me a look at this "ladder" system looking from the top down? Are some of the rungs considered equals? Is there a kart program that may outrank a single-seat car series? I'm certain guys with exceptional talent can "skip a grade" but is that a good idea?

Yes, ready means he has the $$. No 23 isn't too old for Atlantics (this years top two are 27 and 31).

As far as skipping Atlantics, with $2-3 mil good enough to buy a full season, why not go for the extra million to run Champcar rather than spend $1mil on an Atlantic championship that this year will get you the use of a Prius for 12 months and nothing else?

The ladder concept is useless when there is no guarantee for advancement. Guys will just run whatever they fancy and can afford. Getting brutally outspent in Mazda? Go to Zetec. Have $300k burning a hole in your pocket and want to be involved in an F1 related program with slow cars, go to FBMW.

Formula Ford Zetec, Star Mazda and FBMW would all traditionally rank as the equivalent of AA baseball with Atlantic being the next step. They have all seemingly found a niche within that ranking the last couple of years. Star Mazda is the best promoted and has the best schedule and TV but is also by far the most expensive with some teams going to 7 post rigs and even wind tunnels. Formula Ford Zetec has a stable platform with reliable, long life engines and relatively low costs and are still nearly as quck as a Mazda on twisty tracks despite a 90hp deficit. FBMW is well more expensive than Zetec and is a slower car but offers the BMW driver training and possibly a free ride in German FBMW to the champ.

Next year should see the Atlantic re-established as a firm top rung with the $2mil incentive. But the last couple of years the Atlantics have been pretty unattractive to many drivers with $1mil plus budgets and nobody really being picked up by ChampCar teams.