PDA

View Full Version : RM's take on the new schedule

dando
08-12-05, 05:25 PM
http://speedtv.com/articles/auto/champcar/18826/

And the Indianapolis 500 looks highly unlikely for any Champ Car team.

As it has the past two years, Champ Car will open the season with the annual Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach on April 9th.

But May, usually with only Monterrey, Mexico in play, is being expanded to a pair of races that could really put the squeeze on any teams wanting to compete in the Indianapolis 500.

Houston, which hosted CART from 1997 to 2001, is expected to be the second stop of '06 but will likely be a Saturday night race around Reliant Stadium on May 13th instead of a Sunday afternoon show in its old location near the Fashion Mall.

Champ Car previously raced at night in Milwaukee and Cleveland and the move to Reliant Stadium should make lighting the track much easier.

:D :cool:

FTG! Now and forever!

EDIT: if that suggested schedule stands, we're still short a few races early on in the season. :(

-Kevin

KLang
08-12-05, 05:28 PM
I sure hope the Houston date is a week earlier to lessen the gap in the schedule from Long Beach.

NismoZ
08-12-05, 05:29 PM
Yep, now I'm reading where lighting isn't as expensive as previously believed. All CC needed was a little more incentive.

dando
08-12-05, 05:30 PM
Yep, now I'm reading where lighting isn't as expensive as previously believed. All CC needed was a little more incentive.
Maybe if we all hold candles @ Burke, we can have a night race again. :)

-Kevin

coolhand
08-12-05, 05:37 PM
I sure hope the Houston date is a week earlier to lessen the gap in the schedule from Long Beach.

i think they want to back it up with Monterrey because then the trucks will just continue from texas to mexico without going back to indy

KLang
08-12-05, 05:39 PM
i think they want to back it up with Monterrey because then the trucks will just continue from texas to mexico without going back to indy

That does make sense. :thumbup:

Now they need a race in late April then. ;)

Jervis Tetch 1
08-13-05, 01:58 AM
17's a nice round number... ;)

Rus'L
08-17-05, 07:57 AM
That does make sense. :thumbup:

Now they need a race in late April then. ;)

Remember that in 2007, Long Beach moves to a week later in April to avoid the annual conflict with the Masters, so that will lesson the gap by a week.

KLang
08-17-05, 09:46 AM
Remember that in 2007, Long Beach moves to a week later in April to avoid the annual conflict with the Masters, so that will lesson the gap by a week.

I wonder why they have to wait until 07 for that change?

Rus'L
08-17-05, 10:04 PM
I wonder why they have to wait until 07 for that change?

Because convention centers in cities like that (and they use it for the GP weekend) are booked years in advance, and they can't move the race date until 2007 because of other bookings.

mueber
08-19-05, 09:33 AM
Evidence of growing up. :thumbup:

It's about time.