in Otaru Japan.

MarkC says its a fact
Well, if he sez so.... :gomer:

-Kevin

coolhand
08-12-05, 05:22 PM
Well, if he sez so.... :gomer:

-Kevin

take it for what its worth, i cannot read japanese but somthing about champ car is on there and Jim Michaelian is in the pic.

NismoZ
08-12-05, 05:24 PM
Well, KK is already calling this a Pacific Rim Monte Carlo, "a BEAUTIFUL setting"...mountains, ocean, etc. Once again I can only hope the layout itself is up to snuff. Let's make it a good one, boys!

KLang
08-12-05, 05:25 PM
Kevin Kalkhoven said to AutoRacing1.com Friday, "If there ever was a challenger to Monte Carlo, Otaru is it. It is absolutely beautiful and much like Monte Carlo with the mountains right there and the track overlooking the Pacific Ocean. Things are moving ahead nicely for this race. The Japanese are doing their usual thorough job of planning the event."

Would this be for 2007 I suppose? (if true)

coolhand
08-12-05, 05:32 PM
Would this be for 2007 I suppose? (if true)

after San Jose i think they may take longer to set these up.

but Japanese municipal governments might be easier to deal with then one in California. so who knows.

Jervis Tetch 1
08-13-05, 01:59 AM
Ah so!

devilmaster
08-13-05, 02:22 AM
whomever goes smuggle me back some kobe beef....

Night Train
08-13-05, 10:59 AM

You can just go to Colorado for that.... ;)

*ducks and runs*

dando
08-13-05, 11:04 AM

*ducks and runs*
Whatever you do, when in Canada, don't eat the beef. :gomer:

And now back to your topic... :)

-Kevin

fourrunner
08-13-05, 11:05 AM

*ducks and runs*

I heard they were raising Kobe Beef Steers in Colorado ..

But is it really Kobe Beef it it doesn't "Moo in Japanese" ?? ;)

pchall
08-13-05, 11:17 AM

I'd bet that Kobe beef is more expensive on Hokkaido than in Windsor.

pchall
08-13-05, 11:40 AM
I heard they were raising Kobe Beef Steers in Colorado ..

But is it really Kobe Beef it it doesn't "Moo in Japanese" ?? ;)

I thought that the key to the raising of Kobe beef was feeding them a Japanese "dry" beer, which makes them happier, tastier cows.

Of course, if you are a cow in Colorado and force fed grain, growth hormones, and Coors, you might just turn out to be a Kobe Bryant beef. :gomer:

jonovision_man
08-13-05, 11:44 AM
Whatever you do, when in Canada, don't eat the beef. :gomer:

And now back to your topic... :)

-Kevin

Mmm... Alberta beef.... :D Sorry, some of my family are cattle people, had to give them a boost. :D

jono

nrc
08-13-05, 02:23 PM
take it for what its worth, i cannot read japanese but somthing about champ car is on there and Jim Michaelian is in the pic.
It says, "This product is made of rich meat and vegetable liking wrapped in a tender, chewey pasta case."

I see 2007. Makes sense based on KK's Pacific rim push.

coolhand
08-13-05, 02:26 PM
It says, "This product is made of rich meat and vegetable liking wrapped in a tender, chewey pasta case."

I see 2007. Makes sense based on KK's Pacific rim push.

i see 007 ;)

oddlycalm
08-13-05, 03:54 PM
As for the Japan race, having a street race in a land where there is little doubt that any race would sell out at any track in the country is like taking a ham sandwich to a restaurant serving Kobe beef. :thumdown: I'd have it at the Mt. Fuji track if it were my choice to make.

I heard they were raising Kobe Beef Steers in Colorado Wagyu is the breed of cattle that are used for Kobe beef and they are being raised in Texas, Colorado and Oregon among other places. You can buy Wagyu (Kobe) beef that has been raised on traditional Japanese feeds quite easily. If no stores in your area carry it, you can get it shipped to you. We have a couple stores around here that I get it from and I also bought some briskets on sales from a store in Round Rock, TX (Austin) and had them shipped to me. It cooks up quite differently, so you have to know what to do with it. Expect prices similar to the best dry aged meat from Lobell's, Uptown, etc.
Morgan Ranch Wagyu beef (http://www.morganranchinc.com/store/index.shtml)
Snake River Farms Wagyu beef and Kurobuta pork (http://www.snakeriverfarms.com/products/kobe-beef.asp)

oc

jonovision_man
08-13-05, 04:18 PM

As an aside, I found this:
http://english.cj.net/CJGE004/CJGE004_1_food/CJGE004_1_1_21.html?flag=01

The actual quote appears to be "This product is made of rich meat and vegetable filling wrapped in a tender, chewy pasta case" :D

Mmm... dumplings... :D

For those that didn't see the Ansan thread, this is what we're going on about:
http://www.ansanchampcar.co.kr/layout/about/default/image/ansan-sta.jpg

jono

Racing Truth
08-13-05, 05:51 PM
Realizing that MarkC has an ability to make **** up, I have to say that if Kalkhoven actually tried comparing this to Monte Carlo, :shakehead :shakehead .

Easy KK. That kind of remark strikes me as beyond foolish.

devilmaster
08-13-05, 06:59 PM
Completely OT....

You have to be careful about what is 'wagyu beef' in the Americas.

There are basically 2 groups. IIRC, there was wagyu beef ***** brought over from Japan in the 70's and it was passed between ranchers in both the US and Canada. It was injected into regular cattle here, making a wagyu cross breed... and it still is considered wagyu by those ranchers to naturally get the ching-ching (wagyu can easily be 300 bucks a pound).

The second group are a few ranchers (afaik, only in the US) who brought cattle over from Japan, and are under contract from Japan to raise true wagyu cattle under guidelines, because space is naturally limited in Japan. I believe lobell's has a contract with one of these ranchers.

And for those not in the know, wagyu is the japanese name for the type of cattle that kobe beef is from. Kobe is a region in Japan and the name is much like Champagne from France. Its only Champagne if the bottle comes from there, else its sparkling white wine.

And pchall - unfortunately wagyu cannot be had in Windsor by any local means.

nrc
08-13-05, 08:20 PM
As for the Japan race, having a street race in a land where there is little doubt that any race would sell out at any track in the country is like taking a ham sandwich to a restaurant serving Kobe beef. :thumdown: I'd have it at the Mt. Fuji track if it were my choice to make.

If they run a street race it will be for the same reason that they ran Motegi before - someone is willing to pay the frieght.

coolhand
08-13-05, 09:53 PM
If they run a street race it will be for the same reason that they ran Motegi before - someone is willing to pay the frieght.

yep, they are only going to locations now where somone is willing to pay a sanction fee and promote it.

Al la Houston

fourrunner
08-13-05, 11:13 PM
What a peculiar concept!! ;)

KLang
08-14-05, 10:47 AM
From yesterdays schedule press conference:

Q: How are things progressing toward having a race in Japan?

KEVIN KALKHOVEN: Actually we have a gentleman here from Japan who can tell us a little more. Come here, Hiroshi. It's new is to put somebody else on the spot. Is it rumor or fact he's from Japan? It's definitely a fact.

HIROSHI NAKAJIMA: My name is Hiroshi Nakajima. I worked with Kevin and Dick and Joe about Japanese involvement, Japanese venue hopefully for 2007. As a matter of fact, last week we brought Jim from Long Beach to Japan and we spent a weekend there. We had a press conference in Tokyo at the Imperial Hotel, along with the mayor of Long Beach as a special guest. We made Otaru as a city that is trying to host a Champ Car race. They elected Champ Car as their event. They had several different choices, starting with Formula One, our touring car races, but they elected the Champ Car because Champ Car made more sense with their business model.

That actually happened on Monday, the press conference in Tokyo. We announced there's going to be an effort to bring Champ Car into Japan in '07. That was the official announcement. About 50 media people showed up to the press conference. We made a very positive impression about that press conference.

Hopefully it's going to happen in 2007. We don't know the racetrack or we don't know exactly which date it's going to be, but we're still working on it. We're working with a lot of possible corporate sponsors. Hopefully it will happen in two years.

Link (http://www.champcarworldseries.com/News/Article.asp?ID=9528)