PDA

View Full Version : Mustang Challenger?

racer2c
08-11-05, 02:05 PM
I was flipping through a MotorTrend magazine the other day and read that that DCX has approved the building of the return of the Dodge Challenger. A choice of V8's would be available (4.7, 5.7 and the 5.9 340hp Hemi).

I owned two Challengers in my life. One in high school and one in my mid-20's. I'm really excited about this. I may even do my first pre-order.

here's a photoshopped concept.

http://www.weblogsinc.com/common/images/0039361835960125.JPG?0.5077645987899533

Link (http://www.autoblog.com/entry/1234000013051179/)

KLang
08-11-05, 02:27 PM
A choice of V8's would be available (4.7, 5.7 and the 5.9 340hp Hemi).

This strikes me as funny after reading the thread on gas prices. :laugh:

dando
08-11-05, 02:31 PM
This strikes me as funny after reading the thread on gas prices. :laugh:
No doubt. Nice ride, but I can't afford the gas bill. I silently chuckle each time I spy a Hummer. ;) Cripes, I'm considering unprogramming my E36 and removing the cold air intake.....nah. :)

-Kevin

Wheel-Nut
08-11-05, 02:41 PM
Certainly not a daily driver. 5.9 liter . . . I would want more than 340 hp. Something in the 500hp range.

cart7
08-11-05, 02:41 PM
IIRC, Dodge already had the Charger in Nascar so they developed the Challenger as a barebones muscle car to stick out on the showroom floor so they could go head to head with GM, Ford and AMC in TransAm. Wonder if this car will reflect that same kind of thinking?

Winston Wolfe
08-11-05, 02:54 PM
IIRC, Dodge already had the Charger in Nascar so they developed the Challenger as a barebones muscle car to stick out on the showroom floor so they could go head to head with GM, Ford and AMC in TransAm. Wonder if this car will reflect that same kind of thinking?

its all about platform sharing and keeping the costs low, with the Challenger. The car wont be ready until 2007, and Mustang will continue to dominate ALONE in the category until then.
GM is considering bringing back the Camaro, based on the revised GTO RWD platform and I am sure Pontiac will get something as well....
Its so funny to me how trends totally change and everyone wants to jump on the bandwagon again... This nostalgia stuff with the PT Cruiser, the SSR, the upcoming HHR, and the other crap coming out of Detroit is missing the mark.

They have got to make a good Accord \ Camry \ Altima competitor or a quality low priced Civic \ Corolla \ small car before they can go after these niche markets. Fords new sedan seems OK, the Chrysler \ DCX stuff is getting better, and GM just plain sucks at selling rental car sedans.

The Challenger is gonna be a nice effort when it gets here, and the Mustang will be on a mid-year product cycle refresh with TONS of units on the road by then....