PDA

View Full Version : Chevy to Champcar? MarkC gets it wrong...

datachicane
08-11-05, 01:45 PM
From Autoracing1:

Something big up at Champ Car - Chevy? UPDATE #5 Rumor has it that Chevrolet could announce, in the coming days their participation in the 2006 Champ Car season. "This agreement guarantees we will have two north-American manufacturers in our series" said Kevin Kalkhoven, one of the OWRS, the group that controls the series. It will resume the great rivalry between Chevy and Ford, that goes back to the early 1900's.

This news comes days after considering also the participation of Panther Racing, the only team in the IRL series that uses Chevrolet. This week, John Barnes, one of the Panther owners, confirmed his team would continue in the IndyCar series.

This agreement between Chevrolet & Champ Car is estimated to be 5 million dollars per year in sponsorship, TV rights and sponsor signs at Champ Car races. "We've seen the rising value in the series and decided to be part of it", said Doug Douchart, General Motors Director of Negotiations. "Despite being disappointed in leaving the IRL, it has become to expensive for us. The situation at Champ Car will let us continue our presence in the north- American racing scene, an important market for our sponsorship dollars". [Editor's Note: This rumor comes from sources overseas, we are trying to confirm its validity. It appears a bit suspicious.]

Uhhh, one problem, Mark. Doug Duchardt left GM for Hendrick Motorsports back around Februrary. Either Doug's got one hell of a sense of humor or this thing's a fabrication.

racer2c
08-11-05, 01:48 PM
Pure BS.

RichK
08-11-05, 01:49 PM
A rumor with "quotes"....that's so lame.

cameraman
08-11-05, 01:50 PM
So people actually pay for access to that???

Gnam
08-11-05, 01:53 PM
I can see it now...

http://www.mc.maricopa.edu/dept/d34/rel/silentauction/chevys.jpg

extramundane
08-11-05, 01:54 PM
http://www.aeronautics.ru/nws001/su30crash.jpg

dando
08-11-05, 02:34 PM
It appears a bit suspicious.

A bit?!? :saywhat: Not only is it suspicious, it's unfrickingbelievable. :rofl:

-Kevin

Wabbit
08-11-05, 02:40 PM
I could see Chevrolet sponsoring a race like Toyota.
I could see Chevrolet making an engine for 2007 and beyond.
I could see Chevrolet buying TV ads during the races.

I don't see Chevrolet competing in 2006 due to current commitment/sponsorship from Ford.
I don't see Chevrolet sponsorship on any cars due to the current commitment/sponsorship from Ford.

Panther was just looking for more money from the IRL to run next year. I don't think they ever had any intention of actually running in ChampCar.

Does anyone actually believe this crap?

Al Czervik
08-11-05, 03:06 PM
Does anyone actually believe this crap?

Read a couple of other forums, you'd be surprised :eek:

Racing Truth
08-11-05, 03:11 PM
Read a couple of other forums, you'd be surprised :eek:

I know. I've read it elsewhere too.

On substance, unless Chevy is changing its marketing/image plan, how does this (or IRL for that matter) make any kind of sense?

nrc
08-11-05, 03:29 PM
I know. I've read it elsewhere too.

On substance, unless Chevy is changing its marketing/image plan, how does this (or IRL for that matter) make any kind of sense?

The only way it would make sense would be if Penske were using Ilmor built Chevies as leverage to try to force some kind of compromise from Tony George. Penske could demand a single engine formula from George or he could take Chevy and his team to Champ car.

But I don't buy any of this. A quote from KK on a deal that's not public? Penske overcoming his Indyitis? Nope, someone's been gomered.

Sean O'Gorman
08-11-05, 03:57 PM
"A bit suspicious?"

Don't you usually investigate these things BEFORE declaring them as valid rumors? What an idiot.

JoeBob
08-11-05, 04:15 PM
Interestingly, the same "overseas source" also requested his assistance in claiming an inheritance from a bank account in Nigeria.

fourrunner
08-11-05, 04:23 PM
Interestingly, the same "overseas source" also requested his assistance in claiming an inheritance from a bank account in Nigeria.

Wow ... did Mark get a letter from Nindutakolto Bobiluditutukaka also ... I checked him out, evidently his name is like "Smith" in the phonebook there !! ;)

Racing Truth
08-11-05, 04:26 PM

No ****. You're kidding, right?
:laugh:

oddlycalm
08-11-05, 05:13 PM
A rumor with "quotes"....that's so lame. Yeah, the fake quotes are a nice touch alright. :gomer:

I'm not sure whether it's more pathetic or funny, but regardless, the entertainment value is there.

oc

G.
08-11-05, 05:17 PM
Yeah, the fake quotes are a nice touch alright. :gomer:

I'm not sure whether it's more pathetic or funny, but regardless, the entertainment value is there.

ocI've never seen pressdog and MarkC post at the same time. Bif either, for that matter.

Hmmmmm.

Racing Truth
08-11-05, 05:20 PM
I've never seen pressdog and MarkC post at the same time. Bif either, for that matter.

Hmmmmm.

Difference is that pressdog tries (successfully) to be funny. MarkC is just funny w/o trying.

datachicane
08-11-05, 05:26 PM
You'd think Mark could take thirty seconds to do a google search before throwing it on Autoracing1. :rolleyes:

"Trying to confirm?" Yeah, right. It took longer to type that Editor's Note than it took to disprove this thing.

CART T. Katz
08-11-05, 11:44 PM
and the thing is some of these things are so off the wall, so rediculous that if it doesn't happen, he covers his ass by saying "that's why it was called a 'rumor'" :shakehead

and the ccic package included a discount to ar1 because...?

cameraman
08-12-05, 01:38 AM
I would guess he gave the member discount to CCWS for free just to drum up business.