PDA

View Full Version : busch wants out of roush contract

CART T. Katz
08-09-05, 01:51 PM
NASCAR champ Busch asks out of contract

CONCORD, N.C. (AP) -- Reigning Nextel Cup champion Kurt Busch told Roush Racing he has signed with another racing team for 2007 and has asked to be released from his 2006 contract, Roush said Tuesday.

It was not immediately clear which team Busch signed with, although Penske, Joe Gibbs Racing and Dale Earnhardt Inc. all have cars coming open next season.

Busch stands fifth in this year's points race, 277 points behind leader Tony Stewart. After a slow start to his Cup defense, he has finished in the top 10 in five of his past six races, including Sunday's 10th-place finish in the Allstate 400 at the Brickyard in Indianapolis.

With victories this season at Pocono and Phoenix, Busch seems a solid bet to be among the top 10 drivers in the points standings when NASCAR resets the field for its 10-race Chase for the Championship following the Sept. 10 race in Richmond, Va.

In a statement announcing Busch's departure, Roush said it would have no additional comment on the split.

Busch has been with the team since 2000, when owner Jack Roush hired him to drive in the Craftsman Truck Series.

He won four races that year and finished second in the points standings, leading Roush to move him straight to NASCAR's top series without the traditional intermediate stop on the second-tier Busch Series.

He won his first Cup race in 2002 and had four wins that season. For his Cup career, Bush has 13 wins in 171 starts.

Busch is one of five drivers racing in the Nextel Cup series for Roush. The others are Mark Martin, Matt Kenseth, Greg Biffle and Carl Edwards.

Busch, who turned 27 last week, was the third-youngest champion in NASCAR history when he won the title last season.

He recently said he felt his team was poised to make a run for back-to-back titles, something no one has done since Jeff Gordon in 1997 and 1998.

"We're up to the challenge again," Busch said. "At this point in the season, everybody feels a little bit of pressure to lay the hammer down a little bit harder."

Busch has a history of feuds with rival drivers - Jimmy Spencer punched him in the nose in 2003 - and run-ins with NASCAR officials.

Earlier this year, after a tantrum at Darlington that included expletives directed at NASCAR officials over his in-car radio, Busch was placed on unofficial probation by NASCAR and given notice that the sanctioning body would tolerate no more bad behavior.

theunions
08-09-05, 03:04 PM
I didn't think Liverspots would be the kind of owner to put up with Kurt and his salty balls, but evidently so...

Stu
08-09-05, 04:53 PM
Confirmed that its with Penske.

Brickman
08-09-05, 05:02 PM
It's Miller Whine!

:shakehead

trish
08-09-05, 05:30 PM
Speculation at another forum is that Penske will be Toyota's flagship team in Cup and they offered Kurt Busch mega bucks to jump.

NismoZ
08-09-05, 06:00 PM
And THERE you have the main raeson he wants out...Penske knows who he wants and he'll pay for it. Who has ever turned down an offer to drive for Penske...anyone? "And Kurt Busch in the Penske Toyota Camry wins the Daytona 500!!" :eek:

TKGAngel
08-09-05, 07:08 PM
First Kenseth pitches a nutty that he wasn't consulted on the hiring of Jamie McMurray (note to Kenseth: when it says "Kenseth Racing on your paycheck, then you have a say in who gets hired, but until then shuddup!), and now Busch jumps ship. Very interesting goings on at Roush racing.

fourrunner
08-09-05, 07:43 PM
So Penske is going to be the "Flagship Team" in NASCAR for Toyota ... which is believable I guess !

Then what is the BS about Penske canceling his contract with Toyota in the IRL and going with Illmor as his Engine supplier for next year ..

On one front he's the Golden Boy , on the other he's stabbing them in the back !

I know politics makes strange bedfellows but this seems just nuts

TRDfan
08-09-05, 09:41 PM
NASCAR Team Toyota....Penske, Ganassi, Wells (yup)

checking for updates with a source tommorrow

NismoZ
08-09-05, 09:54 PM
No, I don't think Toyota sees it as a back stabbing and like Kurt they'll be pleased to be on board. Two separate "deals" and Toyota really doesn't care about one of 'em. Guess which one? :D

RusH
08-09-05, 10:55 PM
I didn't think Liverspots would be the kind of owner to put up with Kurt and his salty balls, but evidently so...

Ever since Kurt`s Sebring CC try, I`ve always have a positive view of him as a driver. He was pretty fast too. He never dogs other series and always says good things about CC.
So, I like him. :gomer:
I`m going to dust off an old Rusty#2 hat. :gomer: :D

coolhand
08-09-05, 11:55 PM
I am quoting this from another forum, it makes sense.

While this initially shocked me, it makes more and more sense the more I think of it.

Penske has a bit of a legacy of getting past champions to run for him, rather than developing talent himself.

In CART, the top drivers of his successful '90s team were Al Unser Jr. and Emerson Fittipaldi, who if I recall correctly both won championships with other teams before he brought them in... Then, he grabbed Gil de Ferran, an established CART star, to replace Unser Jr.

After de Ferran retired, rather than develop a new driver, Penske bought out the contract of a 2-time IRL champion, Sam Hornish...

In NASCAR, he brought Rusty Wallace in after the team he won the championship for went bust.

So it really should be hardly surprising that Penske would go after another team's champion.

Why Busch? Well, Rusty Wallace was a fairly young, aggressive driver who excelled on short tracks and drivers' tracks in general (when Penske hired him). Busch seems to be one of the few young drivers who consistently excels on these types of tracks, and he's starting to be a good road course driver, like Rusty was. Penske waits for other teams to create champions who can run well everywhere and then buys out their services. I don't know what I think about this, but it is what it is. Busch is not as marketable as Rusty was but I bet Penske'll try to change that.

Why would Busch leave? It has to be monetary...Penske's a billionaire and is presumably richer than Roush...so Roush can't compete. Also, the 2 car is still historically at least Penske's flagship team. Maybe Busch is worried money will be poured into the 6, 16, or 99? Kenseth's been forgotten quickly...

I don't like Busch's loyalty a lot, but Roush has now lived and died by the sword...I guess he deserves that for having done the same thing himself...

Oh, and this move makes much more sense to me than McMurray to the 6...

couple that with toyota and that Kurt was upset McMurray got a bigger contract.

Toyota is already creating an impact on NASCAR :confused: :laugh:

trish
08-09-05, 11:58 PM
Penske's not paying, Toyota is.

coolhand
08-10-05, 12:01 AM
also I think Penske was banking on McMurray coming to the 2. When Roush signed him, Penske took it a bit personal and decided to go after one of Roush's drivers.

manic mechanic
08-10-05, 01:22 AM
NASCAR Team Toyota....Penske, Ganassi, Wells (yup)

checking for updates with a source tommorrow

Don't forget Waltrip racing (Darrell owner, Mikey driving, NAPA as a sponsor) in that mix.. :D

manic

theunions
08-10-05, 02:10 AM
Ever since Kurt`s Sebring CC try, I`ve always have a positive view of him as a driver. He was pretty fast too. He never dogs other series and always says good things about CC.
So, I like him. :gomer:
I`m going to dust off an old Rusty#2 hat. :gomer: :D

I actually like him in general also...would much, much rather see him in a Marlboro-sponsored open wheel car than Hornish.

Lizzerd
08-10-05, 03:18 AM
I actually like him in general also...would much, much rather see him in a Marlboro-sponsored open wheel car than Hornish.

So, you're saying that since Kurt Busch tested reasonably well in a Champ Car at Sebring that you would rather see him in an OW car going round and round in circles for FRP? :flame: Please correct me if I misunderstood your comment.