PDA

View Full Version : Penske May Dump Toyota Early?

NismoZ
08-08-05, 01:42 PM
...Can you say, "Ilmor Chevy?" Will Honda stay if they can beat the hell out of Ilmor (wait a minute, who built those Hondas?)...then Honda says bye-bye on schedule and Ilmor (Chevy) has the spec IRL engine for '07! Whats good for Ilmor is good for Penske is good for the IRL is good for...Chevy? Hmmmm. Is Cosworth odd supplier out? I'm guessing FTG wants it that way as Penske benefits, not KK. Fine, supply a 34 car Atlantic field all of ChampCar and move into ALMS, too. Isn't Panoz about to bid on the new CC spec chassis anyway? Kind of an Elan/Force10 (just got married!) Cosworth to deal with an impending Porsche and Honda invasion? Like KK has said, "it'd be good business!" :)

Winston Wolfe
08-08-05, 02:16 PM
is any or all of this just a pipe dream, or are there some links that you can supply to address some of the info you put down here ?

jus' curious....

Racing Truth
08-08-05, 02:24 PM
is any or all of this just a pipe dream, or are there some links that you can supply to address some of the info you put down here ?

jus' curious....

Robin on SpeedNews last night.

NismoZ
08-08-05, 02:48 PM
Yeah, I usually uh, extrapolate! Take some news and run with it! No malice intended, I just like to do scenerios based on solid....RUMOR! Some of this must be true, Penske is already quoted as saying, "I gotta do what I gotta do!"...or something like that. :) I think the real war is KK vs. Penske, not FTG. That guy got WAY too much credit for actually doing anything on purpose. I can't doubt Penske hasn't ALWAYS known exactly what he's going to do....way in advance. A Ford AND a Chevy open-wheel series in America? Makes more sense than talking about Korean or Chinese "badges." And am I mistaken or was it Penske who tried to push a "merger" of sorts a little while ago and was snubbed by his "own" people? I'm guessing he won't forget that. Now, if he has some control over the engine supply, maybe he and KK have more to talk about? Despite my guesses I think it's important news anyway.

IlliniRacer
08-08-05, 04:20 PM
:saywhat: As my three old would say - "That hurted my head"

coolhand
08-08-05, 04:28 PM
the fact that Illmore makes the honda engine and that Penske wants it to be the Chevy engine is going to create a cascading effect.

Chevy wont replace the millions of dollars they and toyota spent before.

NismoZ
08-08-05, 06:32 PM
Correct, but Penske may benefit from being one of the Ilmor guys and the "League" may benefit buy actually having an engine source outside of an enemy camp. ALL Ilmor users may have to pay for engines then as opposed to only some now. Does that "level" things a bit? I still believe the IGS will mandate less restricted stock block GA engines to be able to brag about all the "factory" :rolleyes: participation, at which point Penske bails, followed by some others, and we see guys like Pruett :eek: back at The Rolex 500 At Indy! Most of the tall ship-jumpers head to ALMS first, but I think the cream may actually want to eventually do places like China, Long Beach and ...Philadelphia? :D (that hurted MY head!)

Brickman
08-09-05, 05:05 PM
Ilmor building Chevys.

Honda building Hondas.

Cosworth in the wings for Ford and unification.

:saywhat: 2 out of 3? ;)