PDA

View Full Version : Pook on V10's and Gasoline

racer2c
03-12-03, 02:39 PM
Autoweek article (http://www.autoweek.com/cat_content.mv?port_code=autoweek&cat_code=motorsportsnews&loc_code=index&content_code=04579062)

On V10's: Ford makes one and Pook said VW is making them (?). Dodge also makes one, although it's a push rod engine (I wonder if the Triton V10 is pushrod also). I wonder if the angle is to be more production based than the incredibly high tech F1 counter parts. That way they can market the best of both worlds, CART is 'high tech' because it uses a V10 (audience oohs and aahs) and those very same V10s are in these very same production vehicles that you can buy. Dodge has been with the Barber ladder series for a good while now and their relationship with CART seems to get closer every year.

On gasoline: Interesting comments from Shell. It looks like Pook pretty much lay out his thinking on future sponsorship. Get a gas company (not lubricant) bring in their convenience stores and the consumer products follow. Allot of what Pook talks about in recent interviews is '05 based. A reminder that the CWS is in a reconstruction period and the gears are in motion to awaken the giant in '05.

DjDrOmusic
03-12-03, 05:56 PM
Not to stir up anything, but one of the BIGGEST gasoline comapnies is Citgo, which supplies many convenience stores, and has a stake in 7/11. I hope Mikey didn't burn EVERY bridge!!

Railbird
03-12-03, 08:56 PM
The whole V10 thing will bother me until I hear some manufactures yakkin' it up.

The gasoline pitch makes commercial sense even though the safety factor is still not something I'm comfortable with.

Hink
03-12-03, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by Railbird
The gasoline pitch makes commercial sense even though the safety factor is still not something I'm comfortable with.

You know - that's one thing I haven't admitted to but should. It does make commercial sense to go to gas.

ChrisB
03-13-03, 10:44 AM
The whole V10 thing will bother me until I hear some manufactures yakkin' it up.

Their really aren't any manufacturers yakking it up, it's mainly Pook putting a positive spin on it.

Here's what happened... F1 went NA, and given no mandated cylinder count, the V10 turned out to be the "sweet spot" for the racing they do, compared to a V8 or V12.

So now essentially CWS will use a V10 because that cylinder count was the "sweet spot" for F1 racing. And CART wants to have the best chance to get as many F1 manufacturers making Champ motors as possible, so a V10 it is.

Otherwise, if it's 3.5L doing 13k rpm as we hear, it'll do the 750hp no problem. Hopefully, they'll use an inlet restrictor to get the power down to 700hp for the few ovals.

And hopefully, NO AIRBOXES!

pchall
03-13-03, 12:59 PM
Wouldn't it make a bit more sense to take the current F1 3.0l V10 architecture and apply it to a 2.4l V8 instead of a 3.5l V10?

There could at least be some parts commonality in my formula.

FortyOneFord
03-14-03, 12:14 AM
Actually, I think the displacement for the V10 was 3.3, or there abouts. And it's based off the current engine. The word going around is that the V10 will be the current 2.65, but with 2 added cylinders, and limited to 13k rpm. Supposedly Ford and either yoda or hoda will supply the field.

racer2c
03-14-03, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by FortyOneFord
Actually, I think the displacement for the V10 was 3.3, or there abouts. And it's based off the current engine. The word going around is that the V10 will be the current 2.65, but with 2 added cylinders, and limited to 13k rpm. Supposedly Ford and either yoda or hoda will supply the field.

I've heard of Fords interest, but not T & H. Through various comments from Pook, it sounds like he's lobbying other manufactures.