PDA

View Full Version : Vegas?

manic mechanic
08-08-05, 01:47 AM
Who's going, who's still pitching a bee-yatch about the aero packge (but still going to the race weekend), and who became so disgusted last year that it would take an act of congress to get them there this year.

Speak Up!

manic

trish
08-08-05, 07:10 AM
I'm still undecided but leaning toward not going.

KLang
08-08-05, 09:38 AM
We'll be there Thursday through Tuesday. Staying at the MGM Grand. This one is a no-brainer for me. Even if the race isn't the greatest, it's a good excuse to spend a few days in Vegas.

Edit: Seats in section 103, row 67.

Anteater
08-08-05, 08:48 PM
The Anteaters will be there. Can't wait!

CARTNUT
08-08-05, 09:19 PM
Mrs. 'NUT & I will be there. Staying at our resort south of the strip. May be bringing 4 other people if I can get them a room.

Where's everyone sitting?

What's the aero package?

Is there gonna be testing?

'NUT :gomer:

CART License
08-09-05, 12:43 AM
I’m going as a single, Yo will be in Denver (on the wrong weekend) staying at the Main Street Station $100.00 p.n. Looking to get into $he Inner Circle Fan club suite again.

trish
08-09-05, 08:49 PM
I just received an email about a Suite Pass for CCIC and Team Ford Racing members. For $175 you get:

Suite Pass and Race Ticket to both the Champ Car 400 and the NASCAR Craftsman Truck races on September 24.

Paddock Pass and Pit tour by the Champ Car Fast Lap Pace Car Team

Full Dinner Buffet, snacks and beverages all afternoon and evening

Exclusive Champ Car and NCTS driver appearances in the suite

nrc
08-09-05, 10:40 PM
RaceGrrl and I are in. I guess that means that we should buy tickets. Anyone going for this suite deal? How do the seats you get with that compare to the regular deal?

Manic, I couldn't follow your last post on the wing package. Have they decided to go with with the stuck to the track and drag limited package again? :/

CARTNUT
08-10-05, 03:30 AM
The suite deal looks sweet! I think we're in.

KLang
08-10-05, 09:36 AM
This happened last year as well. They announce the Suite thing and I already have tickets.

Did anyone here do the Suite thing last year? How was it?

Brickman
08-10-05, 10:40 AM
The Suite deal might be fun, but remember... tickets were piled high at the entrance. No need to pay to get in unless you like parting with the green stuff.

KLang
08-10-05, 10:54 AM
but remember... tickets were piled high at the entrance

Not sure what you mean by that. They certainly were not letting people in for free last year. If you mean scalpers, I don't give my money to scalpers.

CARTNUT
08-10-05, 05:35 PM
Might you be meaning the CCIC meeting?

(Mrs. 'NUT & I cleaned house on that one last year!) :p

Brickman
08-11-05, 11:13 AM
Not sure what you mean by that. They certainly were not letting people in for free last year. If you mean scalpers, I don't give my money to scalpers.

Sure they were.

Well at least we didn't pay. Sure some could but reserved seats in the Earnhardt Terrace, but when you walk up to the main gate there literally were tickets piled high on a table, people who had gotten them for free would put them there for others to take. Which we did.

Brickman
08-11-05, 11:22 AM
Parts of my review from last year:

I enjoyed most of it.

First off I need to thank "Washington Mutual Bank" and "Regency Design & Landscaping" for buying some $1 tickets. I personally think buying blocks of tickets and giving them away for free was genuis. I understand they use to only get 15,000 fans there before. But the place had a ton of people just like last years freebie race did. One guy out in the parking lot was trying to sell tickets to the race for $20. But fans on their toes knew it was a freebie race. I just walked up to people with tickets, they asked if I wanted a couple and I was in like Flint. There was actually a table with free tickets piled on it where they "search" your bags.

Sat in section 1J I think. Top row. It filled up pretty good around us. Lot's of beer drinking fans, but we sat next to a nice family of four. Dad was most interested, mom looked like she was doing school work, kids were young but liked cars.

The truck race was better than average, I don't usually go to Craftsman Truck races. I have tickets to the Fontana race and may not even bother. But this race was pretty good. Multiple lead changes. Pretty clean. Shane Hmiel did a good job chasing down the leader for his first win. The "NASCAR" fans were pretty enthusiastic.... in all honesty the people were there because it was FREE not necessarily because they were hard core race fans. Earlier in the day these fans were tailgating and partying in the 100 degree parking lot. It was more like a Saturday Night Party than a race. In the old days... when they had to pay... I think they only had 15,000 in the seats..

But who could pass on free tickets? Not 50,000 people. Kudos to the marketing genius. Of couse that meant a lot of drunks, and at least two fist fights from my view. But what the heck, except for the bozos it exposes potential fans to racing, puts people in seats that would have been empty.

After the race a group of fans were playing hacky sack behind the grandstands. Like I said, It wasn't race night, but party night.

Now the Champ Car race... God bless Erick Mauk... but his attempt at being the circus master kinda fell short. He was neither inspiring or engrossing in his announcements. Whoever thought of doing presentations and giving out checks should learn an important lesson. People want to see a race at 10:00PM not hear who raised what amount. (It's important just not the right time and place) They had parachuting Elvis(s) floating from the sky into the tri oval grass, I had a chuckle when I thought of my friends that hated the gimicks of NASCAR and ol Bruton Smith.

Kudos to the very good job cleaning off the track, a truck put a lot of dirt/dust on the track with a couple of off road excursions. They cleaned it well, and even took the time and brushed of the rubber from Hmiel's winning "burnout".

The race was... well... almost an IRL race but with the worst rules in racing. The refueling rules have to go. Planned stops? Plain silly, stupid, dumb... did I say stupid? Get rid of it.. end of subject. I was able to pick up the TV broadcast on my scanner. Jon Beekhuis is simply the best pit reporter. This guy brings excitement to the broadcast. the cars are fast enough, but as with IRL races they lose their ooomph. True that what Kendall said about velcroing the gas pedal down is what is all that is needed. But until future engine packages are created, it's what we are stuck with.

I would prefer a different package, but who wouldn't? Would it be better to pass on Vegas? Maybe... On one hand the racing isn't what Champ Car was like in the past. Better than Handford device racing? Not so sure. I don't know if I would go again even though it only cost me a few $5.50 cold beers. The crowd thinned by 50% after the trucks, that dang long yellow finished off some more. It's like as the fans sobered up they moved on out. There was a steady stream with 50 laps to go. Leaving the track is always interesting. Parked in C-3... went out around the drag strip, around the dirt track, out along the side of the speedway and exited onto Las Vegas blvd. Took first signal light to freeway and back in room in 1 hour total driving time...

RaceCat
08-16-05, 12:31 AM
I can't make it again this year. I'm going on a cruise that week and I'm leaving on Friday of the race weekend. I've really got to look at the Champcar schedule before I plan my vacations from now on. :shakehead

I hope you guys all have a blast!

RaceCat

ncmlj
08-16-05, 07:47 PM
I think I fall into this category "who's still pitching a bee-yatch about the aero packge" but it's not this bad "disgusted last year that it would take an act of congress to get them there this year" I won't make it this year but, has nothing to do with the race, just to many other things going on at that time. I know my Mom and friend will be going and like last year I am sure they will show up at CCIC breakfast or what ever you put together. I think you did a he11 of a job on the breakfast last year. :thumbup:

KLang
08-19-05, 07:12 PM
Got our tickets in the mail today. I'm ready :thumbup:

CARTNUT
08-19-05, 10:50 PM
Got our tickets in the mail today. I'm ready :thumbup:

I guess we'll wait and grab a couple off that pile of free tickets at the entrance. ;)

'NUT :gomer:

theunions
09-02-05, 08:14 PM
After being forced against my will to miss Long Beach earlier this year, and the CTS race in Mansfield, it's time to make amends on both fronts.

It'll be my first time off the tarmac in Vegas, unlike practically everyone else in my home state. Any recommendations as to where to stay (will be arriving mid-morning Fri. and leave late morning Sun.)?