PDA

View Full Version : Ann Proffit gets it wrong

nrc
08-07-05, 10:35 PM
It is really disturbing that the Champ Car World Series owners are so unresponsive to calls for an end to the Great American Open-Wheel Civil War.
http://www.motorsport.com/magazine/feature.asp?C=Kerbs&D=2005-08-06

Ann Proffit's "Civil Unity" get's it all wrong. Relatively few fans really want "unity". Most fans just want one side or the other to go away.

The idea that Champ car is in the wrong for being "unresponsive" to an offer that amounts to turning over their assets is laughable. It is Champ car that has time and time again been willing to discuss a solution to the open wheel split. It is Champ car that inevitably runs headlong into the immovable object that is Tony George's need for control.

It doesn't end with an unwillingness to compromise. Tony George is unwilling even to cooperate. The most recent example is his unwillingness to consider Honda's plea for compatible formulas and non-conflicting schedules.

Kevin Kalkhoven's recent comments are simply the response that any intellegent business person would have to seeing the futility of trying to talk compromise with Tony George. It is a waste of time.

cart7
08-07-05, 10:53 PM
Nonsense. Wrong. KK and co. only wanted Tony not to have a part in running the series, I've never heard of them insisting he back down from running IMS. The usual garbage from this bit..... err, poorly informed woman. :saywhat:

fourrunner
08-07-05, 11:05 PM
Nonsense. Wrong. KK and co. only wanted Tony not to have a part in running the series, I've never heard of them insisting he back down from running IMS. The usual garbage from this bit..... err, poorly informed woman. :saywhat:

I think I read they were willing to Split 50/50 on Running the series

I'm guessing it was a rather large check that made her twist the Facts so much they are unrecognizable !

Commentator for sale ???

SteveH
08-08-05, 01:04 AM
email time :D

"We can only assume that means Kalkhoven wants Tony George to resign his position as owner of his family's Indianapolis Motor Speedway property.”

No you can’t assume what Kalkhoven or Forsythe or even Tony George wants. Yet, you use this as the premise for your commentary. Next time instead of picking up your pen and writing whatever assumption pops into your head, why don’t you pick up the phone and find out what the parties want. Because both sides can not agree, why do you assign blame on Kalkhoven, Forsythe and Gentilozzi?

Have assumptions on Don Panoz that you’d like to share?

mueber
08-08-05, 08:58 AM
Anyone with a pen and paper can write anything they want, but you have to be a "journalist" to get your fabrications published.

JT265
08-08-05, 09:22 AM
Seems to me that Ann for Proffit carries ToeKnee's torch well. KK&Co. should bend over and become crapwagon teams, and they get to promote LB and others?

Yeah, I'd buy that for a dollar.

If I was in prison, mind you. :p

Andrew Longman
08-08-05, 09:52 AM
Fans of each series want success for their series.

CCWS fans and teams don't need any IRL venue and only desire Indy. Their business model works either way.

IRL teams, fans and TG need the cost structure, engine arrangement and venues CCWS (along with most of their teams if they are to field 33 cars next year).

Hence KK et al were gracious enough to let TG have some of their series in exchange for adopting their formula. They never laid claim to IMS or his race.

That didn't give him control and so again nothing happened.

KLang
08-08-05, 10:08 AM
The fact remains that unification is what the fans want and, for the most part, what the participants want.

Not this fan. :thumdown:

The article is very light on actual quotes from anyone. She seems to be just reporting on rumors from the various forums. I call BS.

DagoFast
08-08-05, 10:45 AM
Her last line in the article says it all. Poor toeknee is gonna have to start spending HIS money again, not Yen from the backstabbers.

He is smarter than I thought, it's a good PR move, tossing a few bucks Annies way to make him seem like the agrieved party to the public is chump change compared to underwriting the twirl again.

Reading between the lines tells me he is getting increasingly desperate.
And KK and GF can smell his fear.

Cool!

stroker
08-08-05, 11:59 AM
What a load of crap.

Quote: "The fact remains that unification is what the fans want and, for the most part, what the participants want."

Substitute the word "Sponsors" for "fans" and you'd be getting in the ballpark.

TravelGal
08-08-05, 05:42 PM
Reading between the lines tells me he is getting increasingly desperate.
And KK and GF can smell his fear.

Cool!

That's the way I took it. Amazing, ain't it? 1.5 years into our 5 year plan and we've already got him on the ropes. 10 years into his "vision" and, oh yeah, he's got *himself* on the ropes. heheheh.

TedN
08-08-05, 07:13 PM
According to this column in Saturday's Toronto Star ....

NEWS AND NOTES: Despite statements to the contrary, unification talks between Champ Car and the Indy Racing League are continuing.

The driving force is the Bridgestone Tire company, which delivered the parties the following dictum: the company only wants to manufacture one tire for North American open-wheel racing, which will be branded Firestone.

The Bridgestone brand will be restricted to Formula One ...

Link (http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1123154411748&call_pageid=968867497088&col=969048871196&DPL=IvsNDS%2f7ChAX&tacodalogin=yes)

Ted

cameraman
08-08-05, 07:28 PM
Well that would get everyone's attention....

fourrunner
08-08-05, 08:34 PM

Link (http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1123154411748&call_pageid=968867497088&col=969048871196&DPL=IvsNDS%2f7ChAX&tacodalogin=yes)

Ted

Not sure what to make of that ... The same story was floating a couple month's ago when the "Talks" reporting was hot & Heavy !

TorontoWorker
08-08-05, 10:29 PM

Ted

Don't sweat it - this A hole is ALWAYS wrong. :flame: And whatever he does get gets right which is about once every 10 years - he stole it off another scribe who wasn't coverning up his notes...

pchall
08-09-05, 07:35 AM
Don't sweat it - this A hole is ALWAYS wrong. :flame: And whatever he does get gets right which is about once every 10 years - he stole it off another scribe who wasn't coverning up his notes...

It's Norris Freaking McDonald, folks -- who is always writing crap that denigrates Champ Car and shills for the IRL. He is as big a clown as Proffitt and probably works even cheaper.

mapguy
08-09-05, 08:43 AM
It's Norris Freaking McDonald, folks -- who is always writing crap that denigrates Champ Car and shills for the IRL. He is as big a clown as Proffitt and probably works even cheaper.

Of course he is. He gets paid in loonies...

trauma1
08-09-05, 10:18 AM
and when the idiot shows up at a race they ignore his stupid ass

NismoZ
08-09-05, 01:04 PM
Interesting. Why does she think FTG all of a sudden wants to talk in a "spirit of compromize?" Must be because he sees himself as the saviour of open wheel racing in America, or aren't things going too well at the moment? And he's a good guy because he'll agree to use Cosworths? What a sacrifice, considering there may be NObody around to build him engines in a couple of years. And the crap about "selling the family business?" The Speedway is the family business, not the League, and nobody is seriously asking him to get RID of the family business, they're asking him to pay MORE attention to it and TAKE CARE OF IT! Annie (as many do) is confusing the two. He could've KEPT the family business and gotten a 50% share in someone else's, but that wasn't enough! Another in a long line miscalculations on his part. Even assuming she MAY be correct on the fan's attitudes and a need for unity, she is WAAAY off in constructing the reasons for the poor attitudes and failure to unify.

Chief
08-09-05, 01:26 PM
Never is there a legible quote from mumbles....NEVER. Tony George is the cause of the problem and can be the solution.....Anne, there's your story. Media types just don't get it....they'd sell newspapers and get more hits by nailing that b@stard to the cross (but they just don't want to give up Indy credentials and free DWIcrashMobiles on race weekend). Paid shills, afraid to take on Lord Sagamore. Sickening....

pchall
08-09-05, 01:59 PM
Of course he is. He gets paid in loonies...

Poor guy. The only use I can find for loonies is hem weights for the curtains.

NismoZ
08-09-05, 06:08 PM
I KNEW it!!

FRANKY
08-09-05, 06:44 PM
Didn't she write articles for 7th Gear?

pchall
08-09-05, 07:39 PM

Yes, she did.

Another one of the weird bail outs during the period when TM was proclaiming that she was getting seven figure offers to become an IRL only site.

:rolleyes:

fourrunner
08-09-05, 07:50 PM
Yes, she did.

Another one of the weird bail outs during the period when TM was proclaiming that she was getting seven figure offers to become an IRL only site.

:rolleyes:

I remember the Grand Introduction ...

If that is true (about the money ), then she was NUTS.. NUTS... NUTS not to take it !

Of course 7G was built on the forums, which was 95% Champ Car, so it would have been a desert on changeover day!!

But it does sound like a Tony George Business Brainstorm! ;)

TorontoWorker
08-10-05, 02:57 PM

It's ok. It's taken care of. No more Champ Car hardcard. ;) I know her editor... DGM-GE*

* Don't Get mad - Get Even

trauma1
08-10-05, 03:11 PM
you da man :rofl:

fourrunner
08-10-05, 03:36 PM
It's ok. It's taken care of. No more Champ Car hardcard. ;) I know her editor... DGM-GE*

* Don't Get mad - Get Even

Isn't "Influence" great !!! :thumbup:

Turn7
08-10-05, 08:46 PM
Yup, she wrote for 7G. TM claimed that she paid her big dollars to scribble out garbage. Most of the time it had gramatical errors in it. Bad enough errors that my dumbass would notice them.

I think the was all part of Toyota's influence over the site.

Jervis Tetch 1
08-11-05, 01:08 AM

* Don't Get mad - Get EvenShe did actually have her CART credentials revoked or close to it back in the late 90s. I'm not sure of all the details, but the question of who she was writing for came up.

If I'm wrong, let me know, but that was the story I got from an old teammate.

TorontoWorker
08-11-05, 08:23 AM
She did actually have her CART credentials revoked or close to it back in the late 90s. I'm not sure of all the details, but the question of who she was writing for came up.

If I'm wrong, let me know, but that was the story I got from an old teammate.

I'm not sure about that part of the history (7th Gear), but I was told that she will not be in Montreal and someone else is taking over Champ Car reporting. The latitude that was shown to her on *her views* has finally run out - the tank is now empty. They tried hard to allow a lot of freedom, but when you don't check *facts* you are not doing your job. To be clear: Champ Car had nothing to do with press passes being removed - this was the management of the site that did this. I should work next on the Toronto Star... ;)

Accipiter
08-29-05, 08:50 AM
I think Motorsport.com deserves a pat on the back for putting reader rebuttals to her little fiction in their features section. So far, no letter has been written in support of her little rant.

nrc
08-29-05, 09:39 AM
Good to see OC members weighing over there. :thumbup: Kudos to motorsport.com for including the feedback.

pchall
08-29-05, 10:55 AM
Yup, she wrote for 7G. TM claimed that she paid her big dollars to scribble out garbage. Most of the time it had gramatical errors in it. Bad enough errors that my dumbass would notice them.

I think the was all part of Toyota's influence over the site.

Munger claimed high dollars went for everything at that site. Why didn't Tara take the alleged To¥ota offer to turn the site into and IRL propanda vehicle for seven figures -- unless the ¥en/Dollar equivalency was way below what she spent of her parents money running the place. She should have sold out at a loss before for the To¥o"Fan" insurgency blew up the place. :rolleyes:

TKGAngel
08-29-05, 12:10 PM
Munger claimed high dollars went for everything at that site. Why didn't Tara take the alleged To¥ota offer to turn the site into and IRL propanda vehicle for seven figures -- unless the ¥en/Dollar equivalency was way below what she spent of her parents money running the place. She should have sold out at a loss before for the To¥o"Fan" insurgency blew up the place. :rolleyes:

Isnt she now doing PR for Rusport?

devilmaster
08-29-05, 12:15 PM
Isnt she now doing PR for Rusport?

Unless something recently has changed, yes.

fourrunner
08-29-05, 03:38 PM
Unless something recently has changed, yes.

Yes, she is still there !

devilmaster
08-29-05, 06:19 PM
Yes, she is still there !

Only reason I said that was her bio was removed from RuSport's website, under the management section. Replaced with the team engineer's bio....

Being on the forums for a while now, I don't know how the team engineer is more important than the PR person...... :confused: ;)

fourrunner
08-29-05, 07:43 PM
Only reason I said that was her bio was removed from RuSport's website, under the management section. Replaced with the team engineer's bio....

Being on the forums for a while now, I don't know how the team engineer is more important than the PR person...... :confused: ;)

Hmmm .... I can ask a friend who knows these things ... I know he talked to her in Cleveland !

I talked to her at Laguna Seca back in September ... Of course that's a lifetime in Racing !! :)

cameraman
08-29-05, 09:04 PM
I wouldn't read a whole lot into who is one the web site because none of the crew is listed on the web site. It only covers the drivers plus Carl Russo, Jeremy Dale, Steve Wulff & David Brown. Somehow I think Rusport has more employees than that.

coolhand
08-29-05, 10:33 PM
I wouldn't read a whole lot into who is one the web site because none of the crew is listed on the web site. It only covers the drivers plus Carl Russo, Jeremy Dale, Steve Wulff & David Brown. Somehow I think Rusport has more employees than that.

she was on the site and now she is off.

mueber
08-30-05, 01:12 PM
They aren't gonna publish the email I sent her. :laugh:

coolhand
08-30-05, 04:02 PM
can anyone link to the resposes for me?

mueber
08-30-05, 05:58 PM
can anyone link to the resposes for me?

Motorsport.com (http://motorsport.com/news/series.asp?S=CHAMPCAR)

CART T. Katz
08-30-05, 08:27 PM
whoever this david r. smith guy is, i would love to meet this guy in person and buy him a beer (i won't partake, can't stand the taste of alcohol).

i only thought that this town had 2 champcar fans, me and belcher. thankfully it looks like i'm mistaken. :cool: