PDA

View Full Version : Tony Stewart's dream comes true!

trish
08-07-05, 06:16 PM
Tony Stewart wins the 2005 Indy 500. That's my story and I'm sticking too it. ;)

Sean O'Gorman
08-07-05, 06:30 PM
:thumbup: :thumbup:

I don't think I've ever seen a race win that gave me goosebumps before. That was cool. :cool:

dando
08-07-05, 06:33 PM
Congrats to Smoke!!! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Truly the only racer from the .1RL/NASCAB that I wish was in CCWS. :cry:

-Kevin

TKGAngel
08-07-05, 06:35 PM
Great race between him and Kahne to the end. Big :thumbup:

eiregosod
08-07-05, 06:40 PM

I don't think I've ever seen a race win that gave me goosebumps before. That was cool. :cool:

you wont have to wait long to experience goosebumps again, that's when Danica wins ! :D

Sean O'Gorman
08-07-05, 06:44 PM
Sorry, its been awhile since I've watched a meaningful race that took place at IMS. :D

cart7
08-07-05, 06:51 PM
:cool: Good race there at the end. Congrats to Tony. :thumbup:

High Sided
08-07-05, 07:03 PM
Kudos to the Rushville Rocket :thumbup:

spinner26
08-07-05, 07:28 PM
Tony Stewart wins the 2005 Indy 500. That's my story and I'm sticking too it. ;)

AND

Takes over the number one spot in points. :thumbup:

Great job SMOKE!!!! :cool:

spinner26
08-07-05, 07:29 PM
Sorry, its been awhile since I've watched a meaningful race that took place at IMS. :D

:thumbup:

extramundane
08-08-05, 12:13 AM
This episode of Sesame Street was brought to you by the letters:

W, G, A, and F.

Can you use those in a sentence, boys & girls? I knew you could!

nrc
08-08-05, 12:27 AM
They had it on at RaceGrrl's parent's place. I don't think you should be climbing fences if you need someone to put a ladder up for you.

Gomerpoluza!

Sean O'Gorman
08-08-05, 12:36 AM
I don't think you should be climbing fences if you need someone to put a ladder up for you.

Home Depot tie-in

nrc
08-08-05, 12:41 AM
Home Depot tie-in

Is that what got you all aquiver? A crummy commercial?

FCYTravis
08-08-05, 12:46 AM
If Champ Car had sponsors that cared to do merchandising tie-ins in Victory Lane, nobody would be complaining. Money makes the race cars go round.

But seeing as we don't have any major team sponsors doing any sort of promotion with Champ Cars, we don't.

Sean O'Gorman
08-08-05, 12:50 AM
Is that what got you all aquiver? A crummy commercial?

I didn't see the finish, I was listening on XM. It was actually funny when the IMS crew kept emphasizing that Tony didn't invent fence climbing, Helio did it in '01 and '02. :laugh:

chop456
08-08-05, 01:58 AM
"Smoke" = :gomer:

66healy
08-08-05, 02:32 AM
Amazing what can be done when you don't have a menard engine......

coolhand
08-08-05, 03:14 AM
sorry i am not up on my NASCAR, but whats with the "smoke" nickname?

devilmaster
08-08-05, 03:34 AM
Best line of the whole broadcast, from their head play by play guy early in the broadcast(paraphrased)....

"Tony tried in Indycar, and it didn't work out for him there. He found his calling in NASCAR, and now has a chance to win the race he always wanted to...."

Did TF have another meltdown over that? :gomer:

theunions
08-08-05, 03:52 AM
sorry i am not up on my NASCAR, but whats with the "smoke" nickname?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I understand it originates from a pseudonym he's used at assorted short tracks in recent years - "Smoke Johnson" - or does this predate that?

chop456
08-08-05, 04:24 AM
It's better as a verb than a noun. :D

TKGAngel
08-08-05, 08:32 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I understand it originates from a pseudonym he's used at assorted short tracks in recent years - "Smoke Johnson" - or does this predate that?

I think you're on the right track (no pun intended). I think too, the smoke name also had something to do with him developing his own line of BBQ sauce.

Home Depot tie-in

I think they mentioned during the race/pre-race that Home Depot ran a promotion on fencing and ladders after he won the race at Loudon.

Champcar could do something like that with McD's for example - a discount on salads (with the Newman's Own dressing) everytime Sebass wins.

Ziggy
08-08-05, 09:18 AM
Tony Bettenhausen
Gary Bettenhuasen
Lloyd Ruby
Rex Mays
Ralph DePalma

and they didn't drive taxi cabs.

Indy with it's storried Stock Car history, it's touching really.......... in an upset stomach sort of way

JT265
08-08-05, 09:27 AM
meh.......... :laugh:

racer2c
08-08-05, 09:41 AM
What's all the hoopla about? Stewart punch a camera man again?

spinner26
08-08-05, 09:49 AM

No, Tony won a race at IMS and there were people there to see it. :eek:

Racing Truth
08-08-05, 01:04 PM

Here, here.

'Ole Smoke may still be an SOB. But he is a VERY TALENTED SOB at that. Was great to watch that.

Racing Truth
08-08-05, 01:06 PM

:rolleyes: :shakehead As I said, he is what he is as a person. He's also the best, in terms of nationality, American driver in ANY discipline. Don't let your hatred for all things NASCAR obscure that.

Racing Truth
08-08-05, 01:08 PM
If Champ Car had sponsors that cared to do merchandising tie-ins in Victory Lane, nobody would be complaining. Money makes the race cars go round.

But seeing as we don't have any major team sponsors doing any sort of promotion with Champ Cars, we don't.

Shh, don't say that. We'll interrupt the NASCAR-bashing for a few around here. :gomer:

racer2c
08-08-05, 01:35 PM
:rolleyes: :shakehead As I said, he is what he is as a person. He's also the best, in terms of nationality, American driver in ANY discipline. Don't let your hatred for all things NASCAR obscure that.

Keep telling yourself that.

racer2c
08-08-05, 01:38 PM
No, Tony won a race at IMS and there were people there to see it. :eek:

I thought his 'dream' was to win the Indy 500? Wait, maybe that's my dream. Nope, not mine, must have been his. :gomer:

trish
08-08-05, 01:40 PM
I thought his 'dream' was to win the Indy 500? Wait, maybe that's my dream. Nope, not mine, must have been his. :gomer:He did win it. Weren't you paying attention?

Racing Truth
08-08-05, 01:40 PM

Who's better? Note, just name those of American nationality, though I think I can make the argument for anyone racing in the US.

Dirty Sanchez
08-08-05, 01:41 PM
:gomer:

slow bear
08-08-05, 01:48 PM
As his NASCAR team owner doesn't encourage his "outside activities", "Smoke Johnson" is the alias Tony created to enter the Chili Bowl Midget extravaganza a few years back.

Sean O'Gorman
08-08-05, 02:04 PM

Well, he's certainly no Ryan Hunter-Reay. :gomer:

Racing Truth
08-08-05, 02:07 PM

:laugh: :laugh:

racer2c
08-08-05, 02:15 PM
Who's better? Note, just name those of American nationality, though I think I can make the argument for anyone racing in the US.

Why do I get the feeling I'm being setup for the old "NASCAR drivers are the best cuz NASCAR is the most popular" debate.

You're right, Stewart is the best driver evah! :)

racer2c
08-08-05, 02:16 PM

Neither are you. :gomer:

Racing Truth
08-08-05, 02:22 PM
Why do I get the feeling I'm being setup for the old "NASCAR drivers are the best cuz NASCAR is the most popular" debate.

You're right, Stewart is the best driver evah! :)

No set up. Most popular doesn't mean crap here.

And I didn't say "ever." Just the here and now.

Nice dodge though. ;)

racer2c
08-08-05, 02:30 PM
No set up. Most popular doesn't mean crap here.

And I didn't say "ever." Just the here and now.

Nice dodge though. ;)

Based on Championships? Gordon. Based on wins? Gordon and Martin. Based on Indy 500 wins? Buddy Lazier. :gomer: Based on #8 stickers in the back of SUV's? Earnhardt Jr. :gomer:

What criteria are you basing your opinion on?

Racing Truth
08-08-05, 02:49 PM
Based on Championships? Gordon. Based on wins? Gordon and Martin. Based on Indy 500 wins? Buddy Lazier. :gomer: Based on #8 stickers in the back of SUV's? Earnhardt Jr. :gomer:

What criteria are you basing your opinion on?

Fair enough. Subjective to be sure, but I base it on his ability to drive (well) in anything, w/o taking too much time to adapt. Sports cars, formula cars (yeah, I know, old IRL, but still.), NASCAR, dirt cars, etc. Name a discipline and he would be up to speed in a heartbeat. In today's specialized era, that's a rarity.

And I'm also saying RIGHT NOW. Gordon isn't even in the "Chase" yet, Dale Jr. is done for this year, and on.

Ziggy
08-08-05, 06:07 PM
:gomer: :gomer: :gomer:

racer2c
08-08-05, 06:30 PM
I would be remise if I didn't get a blatent nascar driver bash in though, so here goes...Bourdais and Tracy would wipe the floor with Stewart along with 75% off all F1 drivers. Whew, I feel better now, please continue the gomer love fest. :)

gjc2
08-08-05, 07:12 PM
I thought his 'dream' was to win the Indy 500? Wait, maybe that's my dream. Nope, not mine, must have been his. :gomer:

I guess his dream was to win anything at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway.

Ziggy
08-08-05, 07:14 PM
I bet he always wanted to be a stockcar driver. That openwheel stuff was just a primer.

Funny, all this took place while the IRL was in existence :eek:

theunions
08-09-05, 04:09 AM
Tony Bettenhausen
Gary Bettenhuasen
Lloyd Ruby
Rex Mays
Ralph DePalma

and they didn't drive taxi cabs.

Indy with it's storried Stock Car history, it's touching really.......... in an upset stomach sort of way

Was I the only one who caught, when Dave Burns was showing off a Speedway neighborhood home as a prime place to park, him saying Tony B. Sr. and McElreath had lived there before and had "built" race cars there that they then drove on the streets...but never acknowledged that either man actually RACED at Indy?!? :saywhat:

Brickman
08-09-05, 04:58 PM
I think you're on the right track (no pun intended). I think too, the smoke name also had something to do with him developing his own line of BBQ sauce.

I think they mentioned during the race/pre-race that Home Depot ran a promotion on fencing and ladders after he won the race at Loudon.

Champcar could do something like that with McD's for example - a discount on salads (with the Newman's Own dressing) everytime Sebass wins.

I told friends the morning of the race, IF they are smart, they could have have a tall ladder at the ready with Home Depot blazened on it.

After Tony won they told him they have something for him over the scanner, he asked "a ladder" ... "uh no, we're going to climb the fence with you". The 6' ladder was an after thought.

www.smoke20.com

http://msn.foxsports.com/id/3776932_36_1.jpg

Racing Truth
08-10-05, 02:18 PM
I would be remise if I didn't get a blatent nascar driver bash in though, so here goes...Bourdais and Tracy would wipe the floor with Stewart along with 75% off all F1 drivers. Whew, I feel better now, please continue the gomer love fest. :)

In a ChampCar with little practice/testing, perhaps. In another machine, I'm not seeing it. (at least "wipe the floor" anyway).