PDA

View Full Version : Taking my race scanner on a trip

mnkywrch
03-12-03, 01:08 PM
I'm flying to a race.

Should I pack my race scanner in my checked luggage or my carry-on?

I'm guessing checked luggage; a passenger with a scanner seems like a likely target to be searched...

RaceGrrl
03-12-03, 01:56 PM
I seem to remember that we put our scanner in the checked luggage. Didn't prevent the random check though. Seems like I always get the random screen. I must look like a terrorist. ;)

mnkywrch
03-12-03, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by RaceGrrl
I seem to remember that we put our scanner in the checked luggage. Didn't prevent the random check though. Seems like I always get the random screen. I must look like a terrorist. ;)

Maybe it's the company you travel with. Perhaps they look suspicious. ;) :D :laugh:

turn1
03-12-03, 02:12 PM
I travel all the time for work and play. I usually bring along most of my electronics in my carryons and have yet to have any issues. In fact, I usually have more problems with shoes (steel shanks in the soles) and books (the density sets off the super machine searching checked bags). Rest assured - even if you get pulled aside it is a fairly painless process these days. The TSA is doing a commendable job given the circumstances.

mello
03-12-03, 02:13 PM
We always take ours on carry on. And we must look like a terroists also grrl. Seems one of us always gets checked. Just remember you can not lock your checked luggage anymore. Most airports now have a code right on your ticket that is printed at random. When you show your ticket they can tell if you were pre-selected. Not to say they can't choose you anyway. The good news is that you only go through that one time now at the screeners. No longer do they have another random search right before you board.

mello
03-12-03, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by turn1
In fact, I usually have more problems with shoes (steel shanks in the soles)
In Columbus now if you have anything other than tennis shoes you have to take them off. Last trip I had on my knee high stretch boots that are almost impossible to take off standing up. On the way home I made sure I had my tennis shoes on:D

KLang
03-12-03, 03:32 PM
I took two scanners plus headphones carry on to St. Pete. No problems at all. Not even a hand search.

turn1
03-12-03, 04:51 PM
Use ZIP Ties for theft prevention. They slow down nosey bag handlers and the TSA does not prohibit their use. If anything it is a little piece of mind and you know if someone has been in your bags.

FYI - Mine have been searched several times. I got a little note that they had searched the bag - as if it wasnt obvious that my nicely packed clothes were shoved around!

But, it beats the alternative!