PDA

View Full Version : Coupla questions about the future

ChrisB
08-06-05, 08:42 AM
I haven't been following things like I used to, so here's some questions about the future of CCWS...

1. Has it been definitely announced that they will no longer have ovals in the near future (all street/road racing) or is it at least a strong assumption?

2. Will the next-gen chassis be single supplier spec?

If so, will mods (outside of parameter tunings) be allowed or not? By mods I mean stuff like where someone with an autoclave can make special wings, bodyparts, etc for cutomers. (Personally, I'd prefer it stay spec)

Thanks.

nrc
08-06-05, 11:30 AM
1. Has it been definitely announced that they will no longer have ovals in the near future (all street/road racing) or is it at least a strong assumption?
No. The belief is that they'll run Vegas and Milwaukee again next year and the outcome will probably determine whether they continue in the future.

2. Will the next-gen chassis be single supplier spec?

If so, will mods (outside of parameter tunings) be allowed or not? By mods I mean stuff like where someone with an autoclave can make special wings, bodyparts, etc for cutomers. (Personally, I'd prefer it stay spec)
It will be a spec chasis from a single supplier. Later, as economics permit, teams may be allowed to start doing their own tweaks.

Here's the story from Champ car on the thinking for the new chasis.
http://www.champcarworldseries.com/News/Article.asp?ID=8968

Here's the discussion thread on it from OC.
http://www.offcamber.net/forums/showthread.php?t=7642&page=1&pp=25&highlight=2007

L1P1
08-06-05, 11:07 PM
I think NRC nailed it, but I'd like to add a point. I'm not sure how many would agree with me, but I think most CC enthuiasts would view this situation as a necessary evil in the short term - but not view it as the long term goal. Contrast this with the IRL, which pretty much started with this basic goal.

At this exact point in time, I view the IRL formula (I'm talking strictly about competition here) as superior to the CC formula. They have more manufacturers, plain and simple. But it appears clear that they'll lose some of those next year. The IRL had a blip year while the CCWS has been laying foundations. They'll redefine the vision again and move on with version 3,146.

I don't have a lot of hope that TG will finally figure out a strategy that will be a winner for all. I do feel that Kalkhoven, et. al. can (not, necessarily, that they will). It wouldn't necessarily match all of my philosophies, but it won't be one person's.

In another thread, someone said that they hoped that success at street races might allow CCWS to lose money at proper road courses. I think *real* success at street courses may very well sell out road courses. That's something the road course can't do for the street course.

fourrunner
08-07-05, 12:25 AM
. I think *real* success at street courses may very well sell out road courses. That's something the road course can't do for the street course.

I think that theory is correct ... the question I have is would enough of those people like "camping" over "Motels" !!

trauma1
08-09-05, 08:31 AM
the new rumor is that Panoz is going to bid also on the chassis with paul cherry

Easy
08-09-05, 10:55 AM
the new rumor is that Panoz is going to bid also on the chassis with paul cherry

I heard that Paul Cherry, Johnny Herbert and Wayne Taylor will be forming a new 3 car team with additional investment from Tomy Iomi of Black Sabbath. It will be called C.H.I.T. Racing. Tom Kristensen, Herbert and Jos Verstappen will drive.
:gomer:

trauma1
08-09-05, 11:15 AM
that's why i'm ????ing the cherry rumor with panoz, but it's coming from the 2 most nortorious rumor camps fighting amoungst themselves spyplane and zero :shakehead

Andrew Longman
08-09-05, 12:52 PM
I believe I read that teams would be restricted in the areas they could develop. One year they might be able to work onthe rear wing. The next, the side pods. The third, the front wing.

The goal is two fold: design something that when on the track allows for close following and overtaking and to control costs.

One advantage of a spec chassis is consideration can be given to the turbulance thown off the rear of the car to allow close following. Controlling what teams can do aero-wise preserves that while also holding down costs. But allowing some innovation helps separate teams and appeals to the fans with a technical interest in the sport.

pchall
08-09-05, 01:04 PM

Is that the Panoz/Force 10 goofiness being palmed off in Rumors at AR1?

extramundane
08-09-05, 01:08 PM
I heard that Paul Cherry, Johnny Herbert and Wayne Taylor will be forming a new 3 car team with additional investment from Tomy Iomi of Black Sabbath. It will be called C.H.I.T. Racing. Tom Kristensen, Herbert and Jos Verstappen will drive.
:gomer:

Will they be ready for the race in China, though? And where does Bob Siska fit into this?

racer2c
08-09-05, 01:08 PM
But will Champ Car have a fixed AOA for their wings? :)

trauma1
08-09-05, 01:19 PM
Is that the Panoz/Force 10 goofiness being palmed off in Rumors at AR1?
yep, you got it

pchall
08-09-05, 02:01 PM
But will Champ Car have a fixed AOA for their wings? :)

Only when Red Bull specifies it. :p