PDA

View Full Version : Michelin's DuPasquier on Schuie's Qualifying

RichK
08-05-05, 07:51 PM
Interesting comments from DuPasquier: SPEED article (http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/formulaone/18708/)

"Schumacher took by pole by nearly a second, and yet surprised rivals by being to run as late as lap 15 in the race. Dupasquier says he can’t understand why, with the same tires and fuel load, Schumacher was unable to approach his qualifying lap time."

Cam
08-05-05, 10:09 PM
Maybe I should have taken French in High School..... :saywhat:

chop456
08-05-05, 11:24 PM
It's a mystery shrouded in a riddle.

Methanolandbrats
08-05-05, 11:35 PM
Dumb Frog is also mystified by shallow banking.

chop456
08-06-05, 02:03 AM
Maybe Shell and Ferrari have developed a special qualifying fuel additive that evaporates before the cool down lap is over and it gets sampled. :gomer:

Insomniac
08-06-05, 08:33 AM
I wondered the same thing last weekend, and partly other weekends. Onw would expect that given the fact that they must qualify with more fuel thqan they would need that the fastest lap would happen during the race with the lighter fuel loads and additional rubber. Does that mean the drivers don't push as hard on race day?

On the MS thing, I wondered why he didn't pull away from Montoya right away given his qualifying speed. I was going to start a thread earlier this season asking if a tire manufacturer could make a multi-compound tire that had enough soft rubber to run the qualifying and then harder rubber to last the race. I figured the transition between compounds would be very dangerous and unlikely. I also figured tires were made with one "pouring".

JT265
08-06-05, 12:13 PM
The simple answer is this. You load your firebottle with nitrous oxide as the propellant.

But only enough for a few squirts on the straightaways during quals. With the fire nozzles pointed at the velocity stacks you'll go like stink till the nitrous runs out, and you'll pass tech too.

For more answers to these and other pressing questions, PayPal $5 to JT, c/o Chopper. :D :rofl:

coolhand
08-06-05, 02:21 PM
The simple answer is this. You load your firebottle with nitrous oxide as the propellant.

But only enough for a few squirts on the straightaways during quals. With the fire nozzles pointed at the velocity stacks you'll go like stink till the nitrous runs out, and you'll pass tech too.

For more answers to these and other pressing questions, PayPal $5 to JT, c/o Chopper. :D :rofl:

a few tips out of the legendary A.J. Foyt Playbook?

dando
08-06-05, 04:29 PM
Things that make ya go 'hmmmm'....

Although Dupasquier was referring to Schumacher’s general speed over the first stint, a look at the discrepancy between the qualifying and fastest race laps of the top seven teams (discounting Red Bull) in Hungary does indeed present an interesting picture.

The Williams pair actually went faster in the race, reflecting the very high fuel qualifying loads they were carrying, while the only driver to see a drop off in pace greater than the Ferrari pair was Fernando Alonso, who carried serious aerodynamic damage for the entire race.

Difference in qualifying and race lap times:

Webber: - 1.042s
Heidfeld: - 0.033s
Villeneuve: + 0.232s
Raikkonen: + 0.328s
Montoya: + 0.458s
Massa: + 0.517s
Sato: + 0.612s
Trulli: + 0.647s
R Schumacher: + 0.909s
Button: + 1.204s
Fisichella: + 1.104s
M Schumacher: + 1.594s
Barrichello: + 1.610s
Alonso: + 1.743s

Dirty Sanchez
08-06-05, 10:30 PM
:laugh:

formulaben
08-07-05, 03:32 AM

LMAO! :rofl: