PDA

View Full Version : this sucks f NCAA

trauma1
08-05-05, 12:56 PM
bunch of a hole, they want to ban the most recognizable college hockey logo ass whips, go Fighting Sioux
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=2125735

Sean O'Gorman
08-05-05, 12:59 PM
Boy, I can't wait until some basketball-headed Norwegian gets offended and my school has to give up the Viking. :P

extramundane
08-05-05, 01:03 PM
Whereas I can only hope that emasculated turkies everywhere pressure my alma mater to change its ridiculous mascot...

dando
08-05-05, 01:03 PM
Boy, I can't wait until some basketball-headed Norwegian gets offended and my school has to give up the Viking. :P
No worries, SOG. CSU won't make the post-season anytime soon. :D

Stoopid, NCAA. :mad: I hope the NIT wins its lawsuit against the NCAA:

[URL=http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=2125810]http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=2125810[/URL

IMHO, the NCAA needs some major humbling. Their stance on the I-A foosball playoff, followed by the addition of a 12th game is just plain lunacy. :shakehead

-Kevin

trauma1
08-05-05, 01:04 PM
there is a town in ND called devils lake they had to change thier name from the Satans ,crock of BS it''s not for the NCAA to legislate nicknames a holes

dando
08-05-05, 01:06 PM
Whereas I can only hope that emasculated turkies everywhere pressure my alma mater to change its ridiculous mascot...
Ya know, I've always felt VaTech's mascot was quite appropriate for y'all...

http://www.jazybones.com/archives/capture_16_21_52_779.jpg

:D ;)

:runs:

-Kevin

trauma1
08-05-05, 01:06 PM
by the way. where i'm from in ND that's all there is , a bunch of Norweigans

http://www.fightingsioux.com/images/home/topleftlogo.jpg

coolhand
08-05-05, 01:12 PM
might as welll get rid of nicknames all together.

everyone is going to be the panthers, wildcats, tigers etc. :rolleyes:

trauma1
08-05-05, 01:13 PM

everyone is going to be the panthers, wildcats, tigers etc. :rolleyes:
f then PETA Will come after everyone, that's next :shakehead

extramundane
08-05-05, 01:17 PM
Ya know, I've always felt VaTech's mascot was quite appropriate for y'all...

http://www.jazybones.com/archives/capture_16_21_52_779.jpg

:D ;)

:runs:

-Kevin

Watch it, or I'll sic Ron Mexico on you...

Sean O'Gorman
08-05-05, 01:24 PM
http://www.blatti.net/wordpress/pix/posts/2005/april/040605.jpg

dando
08-05-05, 01:27 PM
Watch it, or I'll sic Ron Mexico on you...
Ah, dats OK...the Bucks will take care of bidness in December when y'all visit the friendly confines of the Schott. :D

Thankfully a nut with an attitude doesn't translate into something politically incorrect in the infinite wisdom of the NCAA. :saywhat:

-Kevin

IlliniRacer
08-05-05, 01:30 PM
Will I be able to post on NCAA forums? :shakehead

OSKEE WOW WOW!

cameraman
08-05-05, 01:30 PM
The University of Utah teams are the Utes, named for the Ute nation that the state is named after. The Ute nation does not mind that the U uses the term, hell they licensed it to the University and get royalities off the apparel sales. So the NCAA wants to tell the Ute nation that their name is offensive to the ummm, Ute nation and therefore the U of U can't use it? What next, are they going to demand we change the name of the damn state?

Wabbit
08-05-05, 01:48 PM
Some day, some condom rights supporter will make teams give up the Trojans mascot too.

TKGAngel
08-05-05, 02:09 PM
f then PETA Will come after everyone, that's next :shakehead

PETA's going to have a field day with the Canisius College Golden Griffin. Its the head of an eagle, and the body of a lion.

My uncle was also telling me the story of St. Bonaventure, where back in the day they were the Brown Indians. Now they're the Bonnies. Someone tell me wtf a Bonnie is, please.

chop456
08-05-05, 02:12 PM
Someone tell me wtf a Bonnie is, please.

Mine lies over the ocean. That's all I'm sayin' while the wife's around.

dando
08-05-05, 02:21 PM
Heck, I vote we just get rid of them silly mascots and replace them w/corporate sponsors.... :gomer:

-Kevin

oddlycalm
08-05-05, 03:05 PM

everyone is going to be the panthers, wildcats, tigers etc. :rolleyes: Well, not exactly everyone. Texas A&M Kingsville are the Javalinas (vile smelling near-sighted wild pig), UC Irivine are the Anteaters (hence our lovely Anteater's forum moniker) UC Santa Cruz are the Banana Slugs, the Idaho Vandals (why not the arsonists?), University of Richmond are the Spiders, the Rosemont Rosemonsters, Webster University are the Gorloks (?), Evergreen College are the Geoducks (pronounced GOO-ee-ducks, not JEE-oh-ducks) which is giant clam, and College of the Atlantic are the Black Flies... I don't see anyone going after these other for blatant weirdness... :gomer:

Some schools may be in trouble though. The Sun Devils of Arizona State (bible thumpers going after them?), the Beavers of Oregon State (womens groups offended?), the Illini of Illinois have already attracted the ire of Chief Illiniwek's decendents, the Utes of Utah haven't made that particular tribe happy, the Syracuse Orangemen may be in for trouble from the Orangewomen, and the Cal State Long Beach mens baseball team known as the Dirtbags are certainly due some unwelcome attention... :D

Read 'em and weep
college nicknames (http://www.smargon.net/nicknames/)

oc

trauma1
08-05-05, 03:27 PM
no sh$t there a town in ND called wahpeton quess what their name was before they changed in , yep you quessed it WOPS

Sean O'Gorman
08-05-05, 03:30 PM
no sh$t there a town in ND called wahpeton quess what their name was before they changed in , yep you quessed it WOPS

As someone who is 50% Italian, I find that term utterly hilarious. :laugh:

trauma1
08-05-05, 03:34 PM
As someone who is 50% Italian, I find that term utterly hilarious. :laugh:
hell if there are 50 italians living in the state i'd be surprised it "sounded" good at the time

spinner26
08-05-05, 03:51 PM
Ladies and gentleman, thank your elected officials for the fact political correctness is running rampant in this fine country! :flame:

What a bunch of ******s!

Freedom of speech, freedom of expression, heritage and history are all in jeopardy. If it don't sit well with the lunatics in Washington, they get the ninth circuit circus to ban it or rule it offensive.:shakehead

What has this country come to????????????? :saywhat: :mad:

Insomniac
08-05-05, 04:09 PM
My rival high school's name always cracked me up. The Mohigans. Their mascot was a Mohican. :)

TKGAngel
08-05-05, 06:56 PM
There's an all girls high school in town that quietly changed their nickname to Thunder. Their old nickname...the Mounties.

coolhand
08-05-05, 07:13 PM
one local college changed from the

cossacks

to the

seawolves

Cossacks had a violent conotation so they had to change :rolleyes:

Ankf00
08-05-05, 08:38 PM
Well, not exactly everyone. Texas A&M Kingsville are the Javalinas (vile smelling near-sighted wild pig), UC Irivine are the Anteaters (hence our lovely Anteater's forum moniker) UC Santa Cruz are the Banana Slugs, the Idaho Vandals (why not the arsonists?), University of Richmond are the Spiders, the Rosemont Rosemonsters, Webster University are the Gorloks (?), Evergreen College are the Geoducks (pronounced GOO-ee-ducks, not JEE-oh-ducks) which is giant clam, and College of the Atlantic are the Black Flies... I don't see anyone going after these other for blatant weirdness... :gomer:

Some schools may be in trouble though. The Sun Devils of Arizona State (bible thumpers going after them?), the Beavers of Oregon State (womens groups offended?), the Illini of Illinois have already attracted the ire of Chief Illiniwek's decendents, the Utes of Utah haven't made that particular tribe happy, the Syracuse Orangemen may be in for trouble from the Orangewomen, and the Cal State Long Beach mens baseball team known as the Dirtbags are certainly due some unwelcome attention... :D

Read 'em and weep
college nicknames (http://www.smargon.net/nicknames/)

oc

the women ain't lying when they call us Longhorns :D

as for the Vandals, perhaps Idaho has roots dating back to the barbarians who sacked Espania and Gaul in the early 5th century? :D

extramundane
08-05-05, 11:33 PM
University of Richmond are the Spiders

Only because "Jackass Pricks" was already taken. Who knew?

fourrunner
08-05-05, 11:48 PM
And of course the IRL

"The Raging Queens and that Little Bitch" ;)

CART T. Katz
08-06-05, 12:55 AM
i'm surprised the audubon society hasn't called tom jurich and the louisville athletic department demanding that the university of louisville stop referring its athletic teams as the fighting cardinals because we all know how violent the state bird of kentucky is in real life.

run run! the cardinals are attacking! :gomer: :shakehead

Lizzerd
08-06-05, 02:03 AM
Ladies and gentleman, thank your elected officials for the fact political correctness is running rampant in this fine country! :flame:

What a bunch of ******s!

Freedom of speech, freedom of expression, heritage and history are all in jeopardy. If it don't sit well with the lunatics in Washington, they get the ninth circuit circus to ban it or rule it offensive.:shakehead

What has this country come to????????????? :saywhat: :mad:

Trying to stay non-political here... It's not the politicians who are responsible for the rampant PC. It's the hand-wringing do-gooder left wing extremists and... oh, never mind.

My college is the "Fighting Engineers" (and had a friggin elephant, "Rosie" as a mascot).

They may have to drop the "Fighting" part. Too violent, you know.

cameraman
08-06-05, 11:07 AM
the Utes of Utah haven't made that particular tribe happy
That is just it, the tribe is happy with it. The Utes even licenced the name to the University. The leader of the Utes was on the news last night asking the NCAA to allow the University to continue to use the name.

fourrunner
08-06-05, 11:16 AM
Ahhhh ... I pine for the good old days when you could tell a good Polak & Jew joke !! But lay off the English ... hear me !!! ;)

rabbit
08-09-05, 11:29 AM
[Time Machine]The NBA's Washington Bullets want to change their name to something that won't be associated with gun violence. They will now be known as "the Bullets." -- Jay Leno[/Time Machine]

G.
08-09-05, 01:02 PM
What about the Fighting Irish?

Mess with that, you wizz off a whole lot of Domers!

I would love to see a school stand up to the NCAA and just refuse tourny play.

No way Illinois would do this. They (school officials) want to get rid of the Chief pretty badly. Hell, they prolly helped the NCAA set this up, for a name-change excuse.

Sean O'Gorman
08-09-05, 01:36 PM
Now is FSU's chance to finally make it official and become the Criminoles. :D

oddlycalm
08-09-05, 02:04 PM
That is just it, the tribe is happy with it. The Utes even licenced the name to the University. The leader of the Utes was on the news last night asking the NCAA to allow the University to continue to use the name. I stand corrected. The infotainment media that never misses a chance to report a controversy, or create one if none exists, misinformed yet again.

oc

Rus'L
08-09-05, 04:15 PM
Some schools may be in trouble though. The Sun Devils of Arizona State (bible thumpers going after them

Don't laugh, at times church groups have attempted to get the NHL New Jersey Devils to change their name.

Never mind the fact that the team is named after the mythical creature that roamed the Jersey swamplands and has NOTHING to do with Satan.

Jervis Tetch 1
08-10-05, 12:21 AM
My fav is the Scottsdale (Ariz.) Community College Artichokes!

Go Chokers! :thumbup:

chop456
08-10-05, 05:54 AM
Don't laugh, at times church groups have attempted to get the NHL New Jersey Devils to change their name.

Never mind the fact that the team is named after the mythical creature that roamed the Jersey swamplands and has NOTHING to do with Satan.

Correct. He plays in Buffalo. :D

http://www.iwn.fi/~dana/images/thb/thb_satan.JPG

TKGAngel
08-10-05, 08:36 AM
Correct. He plays in Buffalo. :D

http://www.iwn.fi/~dana/images/thb/thb_satan.JPG

A while ago, a local t-shirt manufacturer went so far as to make shirts that say "Jesus saves, but Satan scores on the rebound." :D

The religious community was not amused.

trauma1
08-10-05, 08:54 AM
in Grand forks when the new palace was built for the hockey team the guy said change the name and he would pull all funding

WestMcLarenF1
08-10-05, 10:47 AM
It just won't stop. I remember a few years ago, there was a movement to change the appearance of the UMass Minuteman mascot. Apparently it was too "aggressive" and too "white". I wish these people would just stay in Starbucks and leave the rest of us alone. :shakehead

trauma1
08-10-05, 11:30 AM
plus the new arena in GF has 1000 logos, in the building, and they would be required to cover them all up azzzzzzzzs

Ankf00
08-10-05, 09:43 PM
It just won't stop. I remember a few years ago, there was a movement to change the appearance of the UMass Minuteman mascot. Apparently it was too "aggressive" and too "white". I wish these people would just stay in Starbucks and leave the rest of us alone. :shakehead

hippies avoid starbucks like the plague :rofl:

Ankf00
08-10-05, 11:35 PM
:laugh: the SBC sponsored and coined "Red River Shootout" (it's Texas-Oklahoma damnit.) is now called the "Red River Rivalry"....

"shootout" was offensive to some people apparently... :rofl:

Tifosi24
08-11-05, 12:03 AM
It will be hard for old Ralph to pull funding for the arena, unless he is somehow able to reach from the grave to get his money back. I do agree that this policy is assinine. There is no way you can cover up ever logo in the Ralph, there are Sioux logos in the freaking bathroom for Pete's sake.

Michaelhatesfans
08-11-05, 02:36 AM
the Beavers of Oregon State (womens groups offended?)
Beat me to it. :cool:

http://www.collegegear.com/sf/stores/product_images/118035-x.jpg

cameraman
08-11-05, 02:56 AM
hippies avoid starbucks like the plague :rofl:

So do people looking for good coffee

Lizzerd
08-11-05, 03:23 AM
Here is a very entertaining read, which exposes the absurdity of all this...

Funny, if you read it with an open mind. (http://www.spectator.org/dsp_article.asp?art_id=8564)