PDA

View Full Version : ouch!

High Sided
08-04-05, 02:31 PM
http://img264.imageshack.us/img264/9904/avp5ap.jpg

coolhand
08-04-05, 02:41 PM
once the word gets out, we will see a few more pissed of female athletes out there.

the backlash continues :flame:

Don Quixote
08-04-05, 02:55 PM
Cool. This is what you get when you promote something that doesn't deserve promotion.

pchall
08-04-05, 08:11 PM
That ad is totally unfair and misleading! Kournikova used to be a world class doubles player and actually WON a few tournaments. That puts her in a completely different class than Danikova -- and I'm not referring to her photogenic qualities. ;)

indyfan31
08-05-05, 12:44 AM
As I stated "elsewhere", the AVP has two gold medal winners in Walsh and May, and they use Wacholder in their ads?

TKGAngel
08-05-05, 08:30 AM
Cool. This is what you get when you promote something that doesn't deserve promotion.

Or at least keep promoting something that isnt worthy of promotion. Looking back, the IRL should've used Danica as the promo tool for the first race, just for the sheer novelty of it. Then, lay off of her until she actually wins something.

Oh, and SI reported that the IRL drew a 1.5 for Michigan.

NismoZ
08-05-05, 10:09 AM
So, how does ol' Rachel do when she plays the MEN? Oh, that's right... :rolleyes: No Title IX in auto racing!

TKGAngel
08-05-05, 11:08 AM
So, how does ol' Rachel do when she plays the MEN? Oh, that's right... :rolleyes: No Title IX in auto racing!

Give it time and there will be.

Insomniac
08-05-05, 11:56 AM

Do you even know what Title IX was/is for? You don't even make sense.

dando
08-05-05, 12:01 PM
:laugh:

-Kevin

High Sided
08-05-05, 01:02 PM
:laugh: :rofl: :D :rofl:

Sean O'Gorman
08-05-05, 01:16 PM

Dammit, I want my high school's racing team to be for males ONLY! :rofl:

JT265
08-05-05, 04:43 PM

Sadly, although true, it's not news.

NismoZ
08-05-05, 09:39 PM
No, your anger just gets in the way of your understanding of "sense". Rachel doesn't play the men, Danica does, yet you make fun of her. There was no criticism of Title IX in my blurb. Danica has done well in a male dominated sport despite all the jokes. I was merely suggesting Rachel wouldn't do as well if she had to play the men in HER sport. I'm guessing if something like Title IX was enforced in auto racing we'd have a very different group of "ride buyers" is each series, or more likely we'd have to simply do away with many racing series to be able to afford an equal number of series for women only. NOW I'm criticizing how Title IX is implemented, not what it is "for."

NismoZ
08-05-05, 09:41 PM
*(of course, by "you" I meant the general overall "yous" out there. )

Insomniac
08-06-05, 08:52 AM
No, your anger just gets in the way of your understanding of "sense". Rachel doesn't play the men, Danica does, yet you make fun of her. There was no criticism of Title IX in my blurb. Danica has done well in a male dominated sport despite all the jokes. I was merely suggesting Rachel wouldn't do as well if she had to play the men in HER sport. I'm guessing if something like Title IX was enforced in auto racing we'd have a very different group of "ride buyers" is each series, or more likely we'd have to simply do away with many racing series to be able to afford an equal number of series for women only. NOW I'm criticizing how Title IX is implemented, not what it is "for."

My anger???

Title IX has nothing to do with women participating in men's sports. You can't even call Auto Racing a men's sport. Yes, it is dominated by men, and I'm sure it excluded women through intimidation at times, but it's not a mens and womens sport. In fact, why would there need to be? You sit in a car and drive it. There is no real advantage to being a man or woman. Men and Women don't play on the same field because any way you slice it, men will always be stronger and bigger than women which gives them a huge advantage in every sport. They will always be able to throw the ball faster, drive the ball further, hit harder, etc. In auto racing, a woman can turn the wheel, work the pedals and shift just as well as a man.

Title IX was created to ensure women had a fair playing field with regards to opportunities at colleges and universities. It never applied to anything outside of that like professional sports. It was the catalyst to creating professional women's sports leagues, but did not force the creation of them. It did force universities to provide funding for women's sports just as they did for men's sports.

How this has anything to do with a female professional volleyball player playing against men is beyond me. Aside from the fact she would almost certainly lose when playing a top men's player, that would have nothing to do with Title IX.

As far as a theoretical situation where Title IX were enforced on auto racing, there wouldn't be a need to create a women's auto racing league in theory, but I guess the point would be to help more female drivers have the opportunity to race.

All I said anything about was your statement about Title IX. If you didn't say something about Title IX that made no sense, I wouldn't have said anything.

If you would like to discuss competition between the sexes, I'm all for it. I think I've made my thoughts clear above. Auto racing provides a very level playing field for women to compete against men unlike almost any other sport.

nrc
08-06-05, 12:04 PM
Women have an advantage in auto racing. Robby Gordon said so.

NismoZ
08-06-05, 12:15 PM
"Would I like...?"...No, you pretty much covered it! You make a LOT of sense, but I still have issues with HOW schools choose to level that playing field. They were given the "waepon" so to speak but not directed as to how to use it. In their eagerness to please and "build up" they have also done an awful lot of "tearing down." (Economic considerations, certainly.) Perhaps you can tell I'm not a real fan of long term affirmative actions or quotas especially when they get aimed directly at citizens EQUALLY deserving. As concerns my Rachel/Danica quip you completely confirmed my point, so I must have made SOME sense. :D

fourrunner
08-06-05, 12:25 PM
Only in America could you be a "also ran, mediocre, wannabe" and through well timed "Hype" and a gullible Press, be considered "The Best" your occupation offers !

And of course if you ACTUALLY ARE THE BEST your occupation offers, and you dare question the Swill & Mediocrity that overshadows your accomplishment you are berated as self centered, and mocked into embarrasment !

Americans can be a "Willingly Stupid" people !!!

nrc
08-06-05, 12:33 PM
If Wacholder poses in FHM will she wear a driver's suit?

Insomniac
08-06-05, 01:30 PM
"Would I like...?"...No, you pretty much covered it! You make a LOT of sense, but I still have issues with HOW schools choose to level that playing field. They were given the "waepon" so to speak but not directed as to how to use it. In their eagerness to please and "build up" they have also done an awful lot of "tearing down." (Economic considerations, certainly.) Perhaps you can tell I'm not a real fan of long term affirmative actions or quotas especially when they get aimed directly at citizens EQUALLY deserving. As concerns my Rachel/Danica quip you completely confirmed my point, so I must have made SOME sense. :D

That is almost the way it always works. The laws are passed to make things more equal out of necessity. Sometimes people/organizations need to be forced to do what is right for an equal/fair society for all. At some point the new laws have served their purpose and some/many believe them to be burdensome/pointless/unnecessary and are no longer needed. Some even believe they do the exact opposite, and others believe if removed, everything would return to the way they were.

I don't know if I know what your point was? If it's that Danica can compete with men and a female volleyball player can't compete with a male one, it's really an apples and oranges comparison. The physical advantages that men have in most sports are negated in auto racing.

Insomniac
08-06-05, 01:33 PM
Women have an advantage in auto racing. Robby Gordon said so.

Yes, in the IRL theoretically. Obviosuly a 100 lb Danica will be faster than a 150 lb Danica. But a 100 lb danica hasn't shown to be faster (when it comes to the race) than a 150 lb+ male driver. She has been unable to take advantage of it (so far), except for qualifying.

fourrunner
08-06-05, 01:37 PM
Yes, in the IRL theoretically. Obviosuly a 100 lb Danica will be faster than a 150 lb Danica. But a 100 lb danica hasn't shown to be faster (when it comes to the race) than a 150 lb+ male driver. She has been unable to take advantage of it (so far), except for qualifying.

Is she too short to reach the peddles ?? ;)

devilmaster
08-06-05, 01:45 PM
elevator shoes.... the ones with the fish and water in the soles....

fourrunner
08-06-05, 01:50 PM
elevator shoes.... the ones with the fish and water in the soles....

Hmmmm ... very "sixties sexy" ... woof !! ;)

oddlycalm
08-06-05, 02:20 PM
If Wacholder poses in FHM will she wear a driver's suit? Considering that she works in a bikini, probably not. :D On the FHM babe scale though Wacholder makes Danica look like a 13yr old boy with long hair and most of the rest the FHM bimbos look like artificially inflated out of condition marshmallows they are.

The big accomplishment buzz right now about Wacholder is that she and her partner Elaine Youngs recently beat Keri Walsh & Misty May at the Cincinnati AVP tournement. May & Walsh have lost only once this year, just twice in 2004, and since the beginning of the 2003 season May & Walsh are 213-13. That's kinda like beating Michael Schumacher straight up in equal cars during the previous few seasons. Wacholder was also judged by an SI panel of four sports medicine professionals as the perfect female athlete.
Rachel Wacholder pics (http://www.hotsaucelive.com/2005/07/avps-rachel-wacholder.asp)

http://members.cox.net/kendelgado/HBSunday2SPF/PICT0072.jpg

oc

Racewriter
08-07-05, 07:22 PM
Danica has done well in a male dominated sport despite all the jokes.

I'll give you the opportunity that I give all Danica defenders.

Please list all the automobile races won by Danica.

Thank you.

Ankf00
08-07-05, 08:40 PM
I'll give you the opportunity that I give all Danica defenders.

Please list all the automobile races won by Danica.

Thank you.

before last call comes around she can get laid quicker than any other guy in the bar?