PDA

View Full Version : Paul Newman in Philly to pitch race

Elmo T
08-03-05, 08:02 AM
From the Philly Inquirer:

Newman's own interest sparks pitch today for a road race in city (http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/sports/12289470.htm?template=contentModules/printstory.jsp) Posted on Wed, Aug. 03, 2005

By BILL FLEISCHMAN
For the Daily News

Actor and longtime racing team co-owner Paul Newman is scheduled to stop by City Hall today.

Newman's visit is not social. He is in town to meet with city officials about possibly bringing a Champ Car World Series race to Philadelphia.

Newman co-owns the Newman/Haas team in the Champ Car series. He and Chicago-area businessman Carl Haas have been Indy-car racing partners since 1983. Mario Andretti was their first driver. Newman, 80, also has raced sports cars.

Newman and Champ Car officials are expected to brief city officials on the advantages of having a race in Philadelphia. His presence could be viewed as a good sign for Philly's prospects to land a race.

Larry Needle, executive director of the Philadelphia Sports Congress, said yesterday that no news announcement is likely following the meeting.

Needle said that research shows that race revenue estimates for cities range from $35 million to $65 million.

Previously, Needle said possible venues for a race include the Benjamin Franklin Parkway and Fairmount Park, along with the sports complex in South Philadelphia.

Of the 14 races on this year's Champ Car schedule, seven are in the United States. Three of the U.S. events are street races: Long Beach and San Jose in California and Denver (on Aug. 14).

After eight races this year, Frenchman Sebastien Bourdais, a Newman/Haas driver, leads the points standings with 216.

fourrunner
08-03-05, 08:43 AM
Thanks for the Heads Up Elmo T !!!

After Recent Successful Events in Philadelphia ... 150,000 will seem like a Yard Sale in the Suburbs ... ;)

I'm betting we could match Edmonton on attendance ... New York , Washington, Baltimore, Maple Glen , Doylestown the draw will be tremendous

One thing the Powers that be in Philly love to do show the place off !! :thumbup:

Sean O'Gorman
08-03-05, 09:37 AM
Hey, they should have the race on Easter weekend so the fans can throw stuff at the easter bunny. :laugh:

Don Quixote
08-03-05, 10:21 AM
In keeping with the railroad tracks theme, perhaps the champcars could run up those Rocky Balboa concrete steps in front of the library. :p

rabbit
08-03-05, 10:29 AM
In keeping with the railroad tracks theme, perhaps the champcars could run up those Rocky Balboa concrete steps in front of the library. :p
Or better yet, run down the steps. It'd be like the Corkscrew. :gomer:

nrc
08-03-05, 10:30 AM
I saw a story that said that Champ car is hoping to have a schedule to announce in Denver. Sounds like they're pushing to have Philly on there.

I'm not enthused about another street race, but they really need something on the east coast.

Dirty Sanchez
08-03-05, 10:38 AM
this event will suck without drifting :gomer:

Sean O'Gorman
08-03-05, 10:39 AM
I saw a story that said that Champ car is hoping to have a schedule to announce in Denver. Sounds like they're pushing to have Philly on there.

I'm not enthused about another street race, but they really need something on the east coast.

VIR

Dirty Sanchez
08-03-05, 10:47 AM
VIRdoes not fit the "model"... can you say Scranton Grand Prix? :gomer:

pchall
08-03-05, 12:35 PM
VIR

Who pays to upgrade VIR from the club track level?

cart7
08-03-05, 12:35 PM
Anyone familiar with those listed locations as far as potential for a raceable circuit? Any railroad tracks in the area, draw bridges, speed bumps, toll gates or other things that'll make for cool pictures and video's and give the suspensions and motor mounts another workout? :gomer:

cart7
08-03-05, 12:37 PM
VIR

Nice track though a little narrow for Champcar, not to mention in the middle of nowhere and that nowhere is basically Nascar country.

extramundane
08-03-05, 12:40 PM
Nice track though a little narrow for Champcar, not to mention in the middle of nowhere and that nowhere is basically Nascar country.

Agreed. As much as I'd love to have a race at a natural terrain course so close to home, it ain't happening.

Now if the Dragon's Ridge project ever happens...

dando
08-03-05, 01:46 PM
Sweet. Now just schedule it while I'm vacationing in NJ. :D Hopefully they won't race it on the Skullykill, or the cars won't go more than 5 mph average speed. :( Maybe they can race over the Walt (ala Charlie's Angels Full Throttle) :gomer: and then around the Sports Complex.

-Kevin

Mark521
08-03-05, 03:06 PM
... Hopefully they won't race it on the Skullykill, or the cars won't go more than 5 mph average speed. ...

Funny you should type this, I heard the news on the radio as I was stuck in traffic on the Schuylkill Expressway (near City Line Ave.).

I still have a decent aerial photo of the Art Museum and Fairmount Park areas from UPenn's library site from my 7thGear days (there were a few versions posted on that forum back 3 (?) years ago. I see if I can post them somewhere. I'm guessing that a layout down by the stadiums is where it would be the easiest as I don't think the roads in Fairmount Park are wide enough. Personally I would have liked to put a road course on the site of the old Navy Yard. I wonder is Willow Grove AFB would be available?

Andrew Longman
08-03-05, 03:38 PM
Anyone familiar with those listed locations as far as potential for a raceable circuit? Any railroad tracks in the area, draw bridges, speed bumps, toll gates or other things that'll make for cool pictures and video's and give the suspensions and motor mounts another workout? :gomer:

As mentioned, doing down by the sports complex would be the easies. But iIt would be through the parking lots, flat and boring. It also isn't really downtown. While close enough to attract a crowd the area is surrounded by the Navy yard, warehouses and Italian neighborhood (no knock on Italians. My Mom is named Fopeano).

On the Parkway puts it right in Center City. Definitely the coolest in terms of adding too/feeding off the energy of the city. Anyone who saw the resent Live 8 concert scenes on TV that was right in that area.

But I think Fairmont park may offer the possibilities for the most interesting layout with winding roads and elevation changes and such.

Hard to tell beyond that without seeing what they actually propose

coolhand
08-03-05, 03:40 PM

the large flat part in the middle would need a chicane :thumbup:

Elmo T
08-03-05, 03:51 PM
I didn't know Fairmount Park has a history of motor racing:

Fairmount Park Motor Races, 1908-1911 (http://www.absolutefacts.com/automotive/00015.htm)

First book listed at the top.

Fairmount Park Motor Races, 1908-1911
For four years, early in the last century, the Fairmount Park Motor Races were run on an eight-mile course in Philadelphia's West Fairmount Park. They drew half a million spectators the first year, but surprisingly they have been overlooked as part of automobile racing history and as part of the history of Philadelphia. In contrast to other racing events, such as the Vanderbilt Cup, there were never any serious injuries and not a single death, but after four years of spectacular racing, the event was banned, with safety concerns cited.
Opening with a brief look at automobile racing prior to 1908, the book covers the events leading up to the first race. It discusses the proposal to have a race in Fairmount Park and the reasons why Philadelphia, and the park in particular, was such an unlikely place. Both the on-track action of the races and the off-track events that affected them are described. Dr. J. William White's successful crusade, following the 1911 outing, to stop the races is examined, as are attempts to revive the race in the following six years, including Philadelphia's attempt to compete with Indianapolis by constructing a two-mile oval speedway, and the city's eventual exit from automobile racing.
Fairmount Park Motor Races, 1908-1911 by Michael J. Seneca
ISBN: 0786416653

Joe in LA
08-03-05, 04:19 PM
Fairmont Park could be made to work. Roads are probably too narrow, but that could be fixed.

TKGAngel
08-03-05, 04:58 PM
Ooh, I would have an excuse to go visit my friend in Philly. :thumbup:

Philly's an awesome city to walk around in. The race could be called the Liberty/Freedom/Independence/other patriotic adjective here Grand Prix, to play on the city's history.

We need more races in the US.

Hard Driver
08-03-05, 06:11 PM
Both locations could host a race without RR track crossings.

Doing near the stadiums would basically be a parking lot race.

However doing it on the Ben Franklin Parkway and Fairmount park would be the best track. I don't know the exact layout that would work near the Ben Franklin Parkway, but there are some wide roads that could make a decent track.

Here is the parkway
http://www.springcity.com/WhatIsNew/BenFranklinParkway.gif

If you did the course right, you could have a section that is 4 lanes wide through Promontory Rock:
http://yoko.typepad.com/photos/kelly_drive_2004/img_0292.JPG

Andrew Longman
08-03-05, 06:24 PM
Both locations could host a race without RR track crossings.

Doing near the stadiums would basically be a parking lot race.

However doing it on the Ben Franklin Parkway and Fairmount park would be the best track. I don't know the exact layout that would work near the Ben Franklin Parkway, but there are some wide roads that could make a decent track.

Here is the parkway
http://www.springcity.com/WhatIsNew/BenFranklinParkway.gif

If you did the course right, you could have a section that is 4 lanes wide through Promontory Rock:
http://yoko.typepad.com/photos/kelly_drive_2004/img_0292.JPG

Ooh ooh ooh... put up jersey barriers down the middle of the parkway and you'd have a heck of a carousal around the fountain. Sit their and it be pretty wild to see them coming and going.

pferrf1
08-04-05, 08:21 AM
I see some built-in pit lanes on that picture.

Elmo T
08-04-05, 08:21 AM
Update in today's paper:

Posted on Thu, Aug. 04, 2005

Newman plays hustler to rev city to host race
Champ Cars competition could be in Phila. in '07
By LEAH M. ZERBE & BILL FLEISCHMAN
zerbel@phillynews.com

What do you get when you toss Councilman Frank Rizzo in a room with silver-screen legend Paul Newman?

Apparently, a high-profile race on the Ben Franklin Parkway, featuring Champ Cars that reach speeds of nearly 200 mph.

Nothing is set in stone, but both Newman and Rizzo said after a two-hour meeting yesterday they were "enthusiastic" about Philadelphia's chance to host a Champ Car World Series race.

"To have a race in the Northeast is a good idea, and Philadelphia is a very attractive town," Newman quietly said as he slid his sunglasses down his nose, flashing those famous baby blues. "Each town has its own allure and its own character... you guys will put your own stamp on it."

For those who aren't race-car-savvy, Champ Cars' single-seated cars are similar to Formula One cars, but use methane and turbocharged engines.

Philly could play host as early as next July or August, according to Rizzo, but a Champ Car World Series representative, Steve Shunk (who did not attend the meeting), said 2007 would be more realistic.

"2007 would be more attractive, to get the lay of the land," Shunk said. "We want to do what's best for fans and local businesses, but make sure the residents of Philadelphia are inconvenienced at the least."

Champ Car is likely to finalize its 2006 schedule by month's end.

Shunk said the Champ Car season runs from April to November. Organizers will try to schedule around Philadelphia's bad-weather months - April and November - as well as the extreme midsummer heat.

The deal would include five races in five years. Shunk said the event could haul in anywhere from $20 million to $30 million per racing weekend, each of which is predicted to draw an estimated crowd of 150,000.

Newman, co-owner of Newman-Haas race team, has been more visible than ever supporting Champ Car racing, according to his first driver, former Formula One and Indy champ, Mario Andretti.

"Lately, Paul has been more active than I've ever seen him in supporting Champ Car," he said. "He's very visible."

Andretti said a Champ Car series was selected over the Indy Racing League because Champ Car has more experience with "urban events." Three of the Champ Car series' seven U.S. races this year are on city streets in Long Beach and San Jose, Calif., and in Denver.

Rizzo said the main drag of Philadelphia's track would most likely be the Parkway, and racers would fly by the Art Museum, Logan's Circle, Pennsylvania Avenue and other nearby streets.

When Newman laid eyes on the proposed track, he "fell in love with it," according to Rizzo.

No mention was made of Martin Luther King or Kelly drives, which previously were considered.

When asked whether the race course was finalized, Shunk said, "A lot of things still need to be ironed out."

In the next few weeks, Champ Car executives and city officials will discuss the event, and an announcement could be made in a few weeks.

Newman, wearing a dark-blue blazer, tan pants and white tennis shoes, glanced at a sketch of the preliminary track and predicted high speeds for the city streets.

"It's pretty hard, but just looking at this track, I would think speeds of 180 mph, maybe a little bit more than that," Newman said.

Champ Car World Series stresses that the weekend isn't about only racing. It's about music and food, and about accommodating visitors from around the world.

"It's a three-day event," Newman said. "It's a festival. It's a carnival."

Visitors also will have the advantage of checking out the Art Museum, the Liberty Bell and the Constitution Center, historic sites that other racing venues lack, Rizzo said.

"This is going to be good for the city and a real super financial hit for this region's economy," Rizzo said outside City Hall after Newman left in a black stretch limousine. "We are good at doing events, and I think we've proven that to the world."

Larry Needle, executive director of the Philadelphia Sports Congress, described the meeting as "very positive" and said the race would be a "regional draw."

"There's nothing like it for 500 miles," he said.

Link (http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/news/local/12298879.htm?template=contentModules/printstory.jsp)

Andrew Longman
08-04-05, 11:08 AM
I'm thrilled this looks like its going to happen :thumbup: . A race in my backyard again. Now I can do three races a year :D

And I think doing it on the Parkway by the museum is probably best. I'm glad there is no more talk of doing it by the sports arena

ChrisB
08-06-05, 08:45 AM
I was listening to Preston & Steve the other morning on WMMR, and they had some VERY positive things to say about the possibility of a race here!

BTW.... in the recent Live8 concerts, the Philly crowd (on the Parkway) was by far the largest... most of the concerts had under 100k... London had about 200k... but Philly had about 800k!!! (I've been to July fireworks displays back in the 80's on the Parkway where the crowd estimates have been close to a million, too)

fourrunner
08-06-05, 10:49 AM
I was listening to Preston & Steve the other morning on WMMR, and they had some VERY positive things to say about the possibility of a race here!

BTW.... in the recent Live8 concerts, the Philly crowd (on the Parkway) was by far the largest... most of the concerts had under 100k... London had about 200k... but Philly had about 800k!!! (I've been to July fireworks displays back in the 80's on the Parkway where the crowd estimates have been close to a million, too)

This will be a cakewalk as far as Crowd Control .... Some concern was expressed for Live 8 because it would be a "Rock Concert Crowd" but even that went off with little problem

Champ Car Crowd will be sizable ( I think it could rival Edmonton ) .. and tame compared to other events !!

This Race will draw from New York, Washington DC, Baltimore, and in between.

Insomniac
08-06-05, 01:17 PM
This will be a cakewalk as far as Crowd Control .... Some concern was expressed for Live 8 because it would be a "Rock Concert Crowd" but even that went off with little problem

Champ Car Crowd will be sizable ( I think it could rival Edmonton ) .. and tame compared to other events !!

This Race will draw from New York, Washington DC, Baltimore, and in between.

I hope it rivals Edmonton on layout. I hope it will be a good race and event.

Rocketdoc
08-06-05, 07:53 PM
""There's nothing like it for 500 miles," he said."

I kind of like the sound of "500 miles"....

It's like kicking Tony George, who cannot conceive of another race with 500 miles, in his little marbles.

cart7
08-06-05, 08:05 PM
For those who aren't race-car-savvy, Champ Cars' single-seated cars are similar to Formula One cars, but use methane and turbocharged engines.

Moooooo :gomer:

NismoZ
08-08-05, 02:06 PM
What? You think they couldn't power those things on methane!? We could trump the IRL's mandate for olive oil, or whatever they chose. Blue-flame Cosworths. Ah, I love the smell of methane in the morning! :gomer: