PDA

View Full Version : Put Train Tracks on Every Circuit!

L1P1
08-02-05, 09:59 PM
No, I'm not serious, but those head-on shots of the whole field flying across the tracks was without a doubt, for me, the most astonishing thing I've ever seen in a Champ Car broadcast. I don't think TV can really do a Champ Car race justice (as opposed to being there) but this was the closest I'd ever seen - Probably because it was sort of an exaggeration (kind of like how Marlboro red is really a ramped up bright fushcia so that it looks correct on TV).

Yeah, they probably need to fix the bumps, but they need to put these shots in commercials. They just exude a sense of fury, power, and general craziness. Along with the common practice of increasing the sound volume for commercials, they will definitely get people's attention.

Rogue Leader
08-02-05, 10:00 PM
The bump at Miami 2 years ago was almost as bad IMO......

rabbit
08-02-05, 11:20 PM
http://im.edirectory.co.uk/products/1231/i/latpv011070.jpg

TorontoWorker
08-03-05, 12:25 AM
Who's got a link to that shot of PT getting major air off a curb at Surfers a few years back? Now that was serious air! :thumbup:

RusH
08-03-05, 12:34 AM
http://im.edirectory.co.uk/products/1231/i/latpv011070.jpg
How high would they have flown without ground effects on Sunday?

Hey, maybe they were not going fast enough in San Jose anyway...remove the wings :gomer:

RichK
08-03-05, 12:42 AM
L1P1: great post, you put into words what I was thinking.

I haven't seen any pictures yet of the cars flying over the tracks. Motorsport.com doesn't have them. Anyone see any?

Dougrun
08-03-05, 01:18 AM
http://66.193.198.150/pics/tracks.avi

JohnHKart
08-03-05, 07:14 AM
And damn, even the Flugplatz pictured here has been shaved down two years ago, so no more airborne cars. Sheesh, done just in time for my July 2003 visit. :(

John

pchall
08-03-05, 12:45 PM
One of the things that impressed in my youth was Stirling Moss' description of racing across the tram tracks at Oporto in the Portuguese GP. In his quintessential "you're a racing driver, or not" attitude he basically says that a driver needs to adjust his line and speed over the tracks and get on with trying to win the race.

You'll find this comment in Ken Purdy's compilation of his Playboy interviews with Moss published as All But My Life in 1964.

Andrew Longman
08-03-05, 03:26 PM
I've shown the SJ start to two different race fans (but not CCWS fans). Both were awestruck. They thought it was THE coolest thing. Nuts, crazy, but cool.

Certainly piqued interest in CCWS

Fio1
08-03-05, 06:26 PM
Now, that's it's over, I think it was pretty wild and fun. But, the first time I saw it, on lap 1, I though for sure that we would have a nast crash to talk about on these forums.... :shakehead Kind of like the Fittipaldi crash at Suffer's 5 years ago, but worst....

That was the craziest thing I've ever seen modern formula cars do. But, at the end of the day we were extremely lucky....

Chief
08-04-05, 12:23 AM
Fio, I agree. But it was spectacular.

Call it a modern day Nurburgring. It may be stupid, but, in an incidental way just another obstacle to the the CCWS championship. Traditionalists may blast me, but San Jose's "light rail" jump was as spectacular as a Nurburgringish "Eau Rouge", just with out the hills. That's why it's a throw back and a challenge and it entices all of us. Kudos to CCWS for "accidentally" making it happen. It gave many of us a great thrill......now get rid of it! :)

Insomniac
08-04-05, 07:56 AM
Now, that's it's over, I think it was pretty wild and fun. But, the first time I saw it, on lap 1, I though for sure that we would have a nast crash to talk about on these forums.... :shakehead Kind of like the Fittipaldi crash at Suffer's 5 years ago, but worst....

That was the craziest thing I've ever seen modern formula cars do. But, at the end of the day we were extremely lucky....

I'm not so sure a bullet was dodged. They went the entire weekend without an incident. The drivers all knew what they were doing and how to maneuver the chicane without a problem.

Sean O'Gorman
08-04-05, 10:22 AM
Seeing as some of these guys are driving four year old chassis that they may not be able to replace, the last thing anyone needs to do is break a tub without an actual accident.

Rob
08-04-05, 10:41 AM
Seeing as some of these guys are driving four year old chassis that they may not be able to replace, the last thing anyone needs to do is break a tub without an actual accident.
Coyne's chassis are so old the carbon fiber probably flexes like denim.

pchall
08-04-05, 11:18 AM
Coyne's chassis are so old the carbon fiber probably flexes like denim.

Hey, if your denim flexes you're probably making the mistake of washing your jeans. :gomer:

oddlycalm
08-04-05, 12:13 PM
For several years I've been anticipating the EARL installing a jump at various tracks to help create eggcitement and after the track jumping last weekend I suspect we are now much closer to that day. :gomer:

oc