PDA

View Full Version : Tracy To Stocks?

FanofMario
08-02-05, 12:45 AM
Channel 13, WTHR, Indianapolis, announced on tonight's news that Paul Tracy will test an ARCA car this week in North Carolina and a NASCAR car this weekend at Michigan in preperation of competing in the last NASCAR race up in Michigan this summer. :thumdown:

devilmaster
08-02-05, 01:27 AM
Get ready to hear more and more of this as the months roll on....

The signs of course are there. That August Michigan race is being touted as 'Canada Day'. TSN (who houses NASCAR Canada) has been hyping that race all season during their tintop broadcasts....

NASCAR is pushing real hard to get a race up in Canada, and no doubt they are trying to get Canadian drivers there to help hype it.

Forsythe has approved it, and apparently endorses it. Childress has liked PT's style for years.

When Tracy is done with CC, he'll try his hand there, no doubt.

Winston Wolfe
08-02-05, 01:36 AM
check one of the headline stories in Yahoo! home page under sports. Has the complete story with PT and his relationship with Childress. PT being very coy and complementary to both the CAB folks, as well as Champcar.

He'd be in more trouble than Robby G ever was !

That is fo' schneezy.... sh-shizzle mah mizzle.

FRANKY
08-02-05, 03:50 PM
NASCAR is pushing real hard to get a race up in Canada, and no doubt they are trying to get Canadian drivers there to help hype it.

I'm sure they will make it to Canada.

FRANKY
08-02-05, 03:54 PM
Channel 13, WTHR, Indianapolis, announced on tonight's news that Paul Tracy will test an ARCA car this week in North Carolina and a NASCAR car this weekend at Michigan in preperation of competing in the last NASCAR race up in Michigan this summer. :thumdown:

That was last month's news. :D

http://www.offcamber.net/forums/showthread.php?t=8447

High Sided
08-02-05, 04:00 PM
http://speedtv.com/articles/auto/nascar/18567/
It won't be official for a few days but Paul Tracy will make his long-awaited NASCAR debut in three weeks at Michigan, driving a fourth car for Richard Childress. The 36-year-old Canadian and Champ Car's winningest active driver is expected to test at MIS this week.

Tracy, who will have to qualify on speed, has been hinting for the past year or so he wants to try NASCAR full-time down the road.

Rogue Leader
08-02-05, 06:44 PM
Thats ok as they will make sure to put him in the wall quickly

(Not that I want it to happen, but I know how they are....)

Insomniac
08-02-05, 08:01 PM
Thats ok as they will make sure to put him in the wall quickly

(Not that I want it to happen, but I know how they are....)

I'm sure he'll be trading decals with the best of them. Plus, you know how he gets when he's in a rage.

Damnit PT! I may actually have to Tivo my first NAPCAR race.

RTKar
08-02-05, 08:24 PM
The best thing about PT doing NASCAR will be his mouth and how it responds to NASCAR "political" correctness.

Rogue Leader
08-02-05, 09:57 PM
Oh if they dont gang up and take him out I guarantee PT will love having a race car he can use as a weapon multiple times!

L1P1
08-02-05, 10:20 PM
Oh if they dont gang up and take him out I guarantee PT will love having a race car he can use as a weapon multiple times!

I'd actually like for PT to go to NASCAR after he's done with the Champ Cars. It will be fun to follow (although I doubt I'll become a NASCAR fan because of it). The problem for me is how to decide when the time is right. He's still at the pointy end of the grid, but for how much longer? By the time he's an older mid-packer, his good opportunities will probably be gone. But this year or next, he's probably got an (outside) shot at another championship.

I also wonder whether it will turn out as he/we might expect. Right now he's the big bad fish in a rather gentile pond. He hasn't really experienced racing with a bunch of other Paul Tracys at the top levels.

TedN
08-03-05, 08:21 AM
Sounds like the initial test went well. Link (http://www.torontosun.com/Sports/OtherSports/2005/08/03/1157540-sun.html)

Ted

TKGAngel
08-03-05, 12:11 PM

Ooh, an actual chrome horn!

However, the only downside to this is that if PT so much as sneezes in the direction of one of the Chase contenders, its going to get ugly.

rabbit
08-12-05, 01:02 PM
"Not so fast, my friend!" (http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/nascar/18822/)

For reasons not yet revealed, Richard Childress Racing has backed off on its plan to field a Chevrolet Monte Carlo for Champ Car driver Paul Tracy at next week’s GFS Marketplace 400 NASCAR Nextel Cup race.

cameraman
08-12-05, 01:40 PM
After two days of successful testing at Michigan International Speedway (MIS), Richard Childress Racing (RCR) and Paul Tracy have decided that not enough time remains before the Aug. 20 GFS Marketplace 400 at MIS to prepare for Tracy's first entry in a NASCAR event.
"I'm very impressed with Paul's ability in a race car, whether it's a Cup car or a Champ Car, but it was just too short a time to put the right program together," said Richard Childress, president and CEO of RCR. "Paul's a champion and he had a very good test but we want to do this right and be fully prepared to give him a maximum effort." Childress hopes to race Tracy again later this year.
"I have the greatest respect for the guys that drive Cup cars week-in and week-out," said Tracy. "It takes a lot of preparation to be ready for a highly competitive event like the NEXTEL Cup Series and we just didn't have the time to do the job right. I want to thank Richard for giving me this opportunity and the crew guys at the test for all of their effort. My primary goal this year is the pursuit of the Bridgestone/Ford Champ Car World Series Championship."(RCR PR)(8-12-2005)

Winston Wolfe
08-12-05, 07:00 PM
what REALLY happened there ?

I am, of course, trying to read between the lines, and it seems to me like maybe PT didnt do as well as thought, or perhaps there are no sponsor $$$ or not enought to field another pit crew?
Anyone got the inside scoop on this deal ?

TKGAngel
08-12-05, 07:09 PM
I looked on the RCR homepage, and the #33 car is listed as being the Kerry Earnhardt vehicle. I wonder if one of the clan Earnhardt threw a nutty about one of their own being bumped out of a ride for one of them open-wheeled furriners.

I think if PT stunk up the joint during the test, somebody somewhere would have said something about it.

TedN
08-20-05, 06:52 PM
what REALLY happened there ?

I am, of course, trying to read between the lines, and it seems to me like maybe PT didnt do as well as thought, or perhaps there are no sponsor $$$ or not enought to field another pit crew?
Anyone got the inside scoop on this deal ?

Childress was interviwed this morning on The Auto Racing Zone (http://www.fan590.com/) from MIS. I caught the following comments:

- in Tracy's initial test in Andy Hillenburg's ARCA car, he crashed and destroyed the car. Childress had to pony up $100,000 to Hillenburg
- Tracy's test went very well at MIS, in an older Childress chassis
- Childress wanted to have a brand new car for Tracy to race
- Tracy had sponsors lined up, but NOT signed. One of them is CTC (Canadian Tire Corporation)
- Childress did not want to put Tracy in a brand new Cup car to race at MIS and chance having him crash, and Childress having to pay the bill again ($300,000)
- Tracy will test again later this year at Kentucky
- Childress hopes to have PT in a car for a race after that, perhaps Homestead

Ted

ChampCar#3
08-21-05, 12:16 AM
Childress was interviwed this morning on The Auto Racing Zone (http://www.fan590.com/) from MIS. I caught the following comments:

- in Tracy's initial test in Andy Hillenburg's ARCA car, he crashed and destroyed the car. Childress had to pony up $100,000 to Hillenburg
- Tracy's test went very well at MIS, in an older Childress chassis
- Childress wanted to have a brand new car for Tracy to race
- Tracy had sponsors lined up, but NOT signed. One of them is CTC (Canadian Tire Corporation)
- Childress did not want to put Tracy in a brand new Cup car to race at MIS and chance having him crash, and Childress having to pay the bill again ($300,000)
- Tracy will test again later this year at Kentucky
- Childress hopes to have PT in a car for a race after that, perhaps Homestead

TedN, I sometimes catch that show, but I have a lot of difficulty trying to understand what the heck why Sara Buchan is one of the co-hosts! She makes me instantly "touch that dial"!

TedN

Ted

TedN
08-21-05, 10:42 AM
Her name is Sarah Bohan. My understanding is she pitched the idea for the show to the Fan 590 and they obviously liked what they heard. Sarah has a backgroung in print media, freelancing for several years. I recall seeing some of her stuff in the Toronto papers and elsewhere. She clearly has built up a good list of contacts in F1 and Champ Car, evidenced by the guests on the show.

Given that this is her first foray into radio, I'm willing to cut her some slack.

Ted