PDA

View Full Version : Announcers gone wrong!!

pkvracing12
07-30-05, 10:15 PM
So, I was sitting channel surfing, when I landed on ESPN, an eating contest was going on. So I sat there and watched it thinking man I can do this and make millions.I decided to turn the tv off mute when I heard a familliar voice
it was Pual Page. This guy is all over the place one minute he is on speed doing snowmobile races then he is with the IRL now eating competitions, his career went down the toilet!! literality :)

nrc
07-30-05, 10:20 PM
http://www.offcamber.net/forums/showthread.php?t=8341

Isn't it funny that a supposed sports channel stopped bothering to re-air Champ car races back around '98 but evidently they can find time to air this hot dog eating contest over and over?

TorontoWorker
07-31-05, 11:44 AM

Isn't it funny that a supposed sports channel stopped bothering to re-air Champ car races back around '98 but evidently they can find time to air this hot dog eating contest over and over?

I've seen the change here in Canada with TSN being bought out fully by the Mouse network (ESPN). Ever since, TSN always leads with IRL *news* (always positive) and you have to wait until near the end of Sports Center before you get any Champ Car news/results. While they do play up Tracy a bit, they use him more for local Toronto ratings then anything to do with Champ Car. Airing Champ Car races at midnight while the IRL is on at 8:00pm is a case in point. One would suspect that this has more to do with the ESPN contract with the IRL then the fact that there are 3 Champ Car events in Canada...

Perhaps we can hope that OWRS gives Global the FULL Champ Car rights in Canada next year, not just the Canadian race rights.

NismoZ
07-31-05, 12:22 PM
C'mon...It's TV!! Wasn't called "The Vast Wasteland" for nuthin'! Of course I'm often the moth to the flame...Heard an IRL
"report" on a major market "sports news" broadcast last week where they showed a clip of Danica spinning and smacking the wall , mentioned she was uninjured...but neglected to say WHAT race it was or WHO won! Typical. Danica is bigger than the IRL.

swift
07-31-05, 12:58 PM
paul page did the play-by-play for GlobalTV (canadian network, owns broadcast rights to all canadian champcar races) for the edmonton grand prix. i've mocked PP before, but i couldn't fault his work at edmonton. he knew what he was talking about, and apparently was enjoying himself.

RTKar
07-31-05, 05:45 PM

Like MTV with music videos back in the early 80's, they actually broke new bands...espn and speed, like mtv eventually evolve into something not what they were supposed to be.

Accipiter
08-01-05, 03:00 PM
At least with eating, we know he's an expert on the subject.