PDA

View Full Version : San Jose Quals

NismoZ
07-30-05, 05:51 PM
Track mods have made it quite a bit slower...52s yesterday, 54s today. (99-95mph)

NismoZ
07-30-05, 06:00 PM
Bourdais, Servia, Tracy, AJ, Mario...Good luck tomorrow....this place stinks. Hope the party crowd has a wonderful time.

Chief
07-30-05, 06:07 PM
....this place stinks. Hope the party crowd has a wonderful time.

Thanks for supporting the series. Too bad the party crowd was too lazy to drive to Laguna Seca.

KLang
07-30-05, 06:11 PM
Bummer for Coyne, they've looked pretty good this weekend.

Phillipe? What more can I say. :laugh:

Looking forward to the race tomorrow.

this place stinks.

How about waiting until they run the race first?

NismoZ
07-30-05, 06:47 PM
You are right...I said I would do that that before, but I just can't seem to get over my first impressions. And I DO support the series...WELL, but please tell me you aren't one of those "love it or leave it" kinda guys. I see things I don't like... I'll talk about them. I've OFTEN said I hope this event is a roaring success but it is difficult for me seeing "220mph Champ Cars" vaulting light rail tracks when I can close my eyes and remember guys trying to take The Kink flat. Helluva comparison. Just call me Dino, I guess...GO CHAMPCAR! :thumbup:...but I'll have an opinion on this one regardless.

nrc
07-30-05, 10:15 PM
I think it's fair to say that the track needs some serious work. The chicane before the hairpin was added because speeds throught the light rail kink were so much higher than expected. I wonder if they tighten the chicane there if they can elminate the chicane closer to the hairpin. Of course, the other problem there is that the line for the chicane conflicts with the pit exit.

Overall the event seems like a success so far. Good sponsorship and good crowds. The question will be whether the fans will be excited enough by what they see to come back next year in spite of the problems.

Dr. Corkski
07-30-05, 10:55 PM
The crowd will probably be back next year since there ain't really anything else to do in San Jose.

Whether most of them will watch Denver on TV, which is by far more important than whether they come back, that I do have doubts about.

Methanolandbrats
07-31-05, 12:05 AM
50k on saturday. WGAF. It's not a racetrack, it's not a race, it's an event. If it was the Taste of San Jose Food Festival you'd get 50k to eat shrimp on a stick or pay $5 for a square inch of cheesecake. I hope all you people rooting for this crap enjoy cranes, watching cleanup crews and yellow flags.

RHR_Fan
07-31-05, 12:50 AM
Yay for Nelson! :) Mi-Jack in general too. If Andrew didn't have that problem he probably would have been up there too.

What happened to RHR? He was consistently top 10 in practices. There still is the race...

~Nicole

Dr. Corkski
07-31-05, 01:01 AM
Yay for Nelson! :) Mi-Jack in general too. If Andrew didn't have that problem he probably would have been up there too.

What happened to RHR? He was consistently top 10 in practices. There still is the race...

~NicoleYou boys seemed to have a couple of turn runoffs monopolized. Ranger has been going off into the T6 wall all weekend while most of the tire marks at the T4 escape road belongs to RHR.

KLang
07-31-05, 08:55 AM
Whether most of them will watch Denver on TV, which is by far more important than whether they come back, that I do have doubts about.

I disagree. I think Champ Car's priority right now is financially successfull events. Television ratings won't matter if there aren't any events on the schedule.

nrc
07-31-05, 10:24 AM
50k on saturday. WGAF.
The guys paying the bills.

I hope all you people rooting for this crap enjoy cranes, watching cleanup crews and yellow flags.
I don't think anyone is rooting for this crap in the sense of liking this kind of race track.

NismoZ
07-31-05, 11:48 AM
Correct. I see a business model. I see Champcars and races. I see a conflict between those two realities and what I as a CC fan would LIKE to see. I'm dealing with it. Long ago I said I'd draw a line at the main gate at Road America...welll, I'm still here! Not as happy, but still here. :)

Insomniac
07-31-05, 12:23 PM
50k on saturday. WGAF. It's not a racetrack, it's not a race, it's an event. If it was the Taste of San Jose Food Festival you'd get 50k to eat shrimp on a stick or pay $5 for a square inch of cheesecake. I hope all you people rooting for this crap enjoy cranes, watching cleanup crews and yellow flags.

That's 40k people who weren't at Laguna Seca last year. The reality is, the mjority of people who tune in on TV are fans. The hope is people will become fans by attending the event. It's in there back yard and gives them much easier access. Then at some point, hopefully enough fans will go to the natural road courses away from home.