PDA

View Full Version : Can you say "Welcome back, Cam?"

Lizzerd
07-30-05, 02:49 AM
You may know that that crazy native Aussie, Cam, has been in his homeland down under for a while. Since February, actually. But you may not have known why his post count has been going up so sloooowwwwllllyy. I'll get into that later. Anyway, I picked him up at the Indianapolis Airport late Wednesday night. He's back "home" in Indianapolis.

Regarding why Cam was in Oz for over five months, he was looking cancer in the face. Actually, cancer was literally looking HIM in the face and mouth, and HE BEAT IT! He said FC and BEAT IT! Big congrats, mate, and keep fighting! You are well on your way now.

NO PITY PARTIES, please. That's exactly what he didn't want when he went to Aussie land for treatment and surgery and exactly what he doesn't want now. A hearty pat on the back and a big congrats will do just fine. I don't know when he'll see this, because all he does is sleep on the couch. "I'm just taking another nap". Radiation treatment can be a real beech, I guess...

His mother deserves super big kudos for keeping a few of his close friends up to date of his condition these many weeks, especially early on when he couldn't tell us himself. I had the pleasure of talking to her when Cam and I arrived to my house from the airport. "Can I make a call?" "Sure". I didn't know it was to Perth! She exuded her love and caring for her son just like the mother that we would all love to have. Next to my own, of course.

He's staying at my house for a while, too. My dog loves him, but I don't think he likes my dog. And, until his tongue heals completely, he will slobber more than my dog ever dreamed of.

Welcome back Cam, and big congrats for licking the big C! :thumbup: :cool: :thumbup: :cool:

RaceGrrl
07-30-05, 03:01 AM
So glad you're back Cam. You were missed.

RacinM3
07-30-05, 04:05 AM
That's AWESOME news!!!!

I'm interested in knowing if Cam went back to OZ for the support of his family during his fight, or as so many others do, because the treatments offered in the US are generally over-restricted and inferior.

Kiwifan
07-30-05, 07:19 AM
Lizzerd while you are thinking he's sleeping on your couch, all the time that sneaky Aussie will be drinking your beer. :) Watch him mate, watch him. ;)

Take care cuzzie and all the best mate, I know you will beat it. :thumbup:

Kiwifan./Australasianfan. ;)

nz_climber
07-30-05, 07:44 AM
good to hear you back up on up side of the world cam :P

thanks for looking after him lizzerd :)

chop456
07-30-05, 08:30 AM
Good to know you're back, Cam. Take care.

Keep an eye on the good silverware, Lizzerd.

fourrunner
07-30-05, 08:38 AM
You are a Good Man Lizzerd !!....

Glad to hear that Cam is on the upside of this thing ... and great he has such great support when it's needed!

I like to hear these stories .. it makes the day brighter! :thumbup:

nrc
07-30-05, 12:07 PM
Great to have you back on top, Cam. :thumbup:

TRDfan
07-30-05, 12:12 PM
Great news Cam. Keep fighting and stay strong.

Thanks Lizzerd for the update.

devilmaster
07-30-05, 12:22 PM
Welcome back to this part of the world Cam! :thumbup:

SteveH
07-30-05, 02:51 PM
Great news Cam, glad you're back. :thumbup:

dando
07-30-05, 03:21 PM
Welcome back, Cam!

Lizzerd, how'd you manage to get a couch into the van? ;)

-Kevin

JoeBob
07-30-05, 05:14 PM
Welcome back, Cam!

My father is a cancer survivor, one of his friends put it well. "You stepped in the ring with the champ, and came out on top."

Hope all remains well.

Jag_Warrior
07-30-05, 05:25 PM
Welcome back, Cam! And congrats on whipping the big C! :thumbup:

It hasn't been brought up, as I wasn't sure that he wanted it out there, but a fine fellow I've known since our days at MSNBC's Racing board is also about to deliver the knockout punch to the big C. He's still battling, but I know this dude's spirit and he will lay an @$$ kicking on cancer like it's never had.

He doesn't post that frequently here but he's the one who told me about 7th Gear way back when. His handle is Tall1. I hope the members here will cheer him on during his fight too. The big man is going to be back stronger than ever real soon! :thumbup:

mapguy
07-30-05, 05:43 PM
Well done. :thumbup:

Cam
07-30-05, 07:30 PM
That's AWESOME news!!!!

I'm interested in knowing if Cam went back to OZ for the support of his family during his fight,

Main part of the reason right there. Some other considerations but that was the major one. Nothing like having a feisty little sister tell ya to get back in line when things start to go astray! LOL

Kiwifan
07-30-05, 09:12 PM
Did ya catch any rugby when you were Downunder Cam? ;) Just joking mate. We don't like to talk about the Cricket or League. :)

Take care brother.....

Rusty.

pfc_m_drake
07-30-05, 09:20 PM
Nice to have you back! Hope things continue to work out well for you!

Lizzerd
07-30-05, 09:42 PM
Edit: Never mind... I see Cam already answered.

RHR_Fan
07-31-05, 12:47 AM
Glad to have ya back! :)

Hope to catch the All Blacks beat the Wallabies. :p

~Nicole

Robstar
07-31-05, 09:39 PM
Well done Cam - Great to hear... :) :thumbup: :thumbup:

RTKar
07-31-05, 10:14 PM
:thumbup: Excellent! Hang tough Cam.

Warlock!
08-01-05, 09:15 AM
:cool:

Glad you're back in town, dude.

(I'm just sorry it's gotta be with Lizzerd ;))

Peace to both you guys. :thumbup:

DjDrOmusic
08-01-05, 09:38 AM
Welcome back Cam, glad to hear you're doing better!!

Tall1
08-01-05, 09:43 AM
Nothing but respect & admiration for anyone who kicks "The Big C"'s @$$. I empathize with your struggles Cam.

Sean O'Gorman
08-01-05, 09:47 AM
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

2DB
08-01-05, 10:53 AM
Congrats Cam and good luck. Railbird called you a crazy Aussie and from him that was a pat on the back!

Kelvis

Cam
08-01-05, 09:27 PM
Congrats Cam and good luck. Railbird called you a crazy Aussie and from him that was a pat on the back!

Kelvis

God bless his soul! I got an Email from John just the day before he passed. (In fact hardly a week would go by without an E from him wanting to know how I was doing) He insisted he would be the first in line to buy me a beer after I got back. I guess I need to make a road trip to the flagroom and have that beer in his honor.

His support through the start of all this was a great help to me. His passing was a massive blow. :(

TravelGal
08-02-05, 08:19 PM
Great news! I wondered where Cam went because he was such a regular poster. I definitely remember Tall1 from 7G days. Good on ya BOTH. :thumbup:

Ankf00
08-02-05, 08:43 PM
welcome back :)

2DB
08-03-05, 02:51 PM
Cam,

If John said he would buy the beer for you at the Flag Room when you returned then I'll be glad to take care of that for him. You name the time and date and it will be my pleasure and I'll check with Sue to see if I can get her out.

Kelvis

Ziggy
08-04-05, 04:04 AM
Hi Cam

Glad your home, the lure of the Allstate 400 at the Brickyard was just too strong eh? You picked a great USGP to miss, as I only stuck around for one lap (and that was because I could not get out of the stand quicker than they could do a lap!)

We must get together. I have a new car to show you, and as soon as I finish repairing it from my brain fade during a critical assembly process, it might leave the garage under it's own power!

Home all weekend, sitting on the porch watching the throng, both you and Lizzert is welcome to comes on overs.

Ziggy

trish
08-04-05, 06:55 AM
Welcome back!

Anteater
08-08-05, 08:34 PM
Welcome back, and here's to your good health! :thumbup:

Lizzerd
05-16-06, 01:23 AM
I thought about starting a new thread, but figured this was better in case you had forgotten.

Cam is going back under the knife in the morning (Tuesday). The cancer is all gone and this is to reconstruct some of his lower face skin and jaw. The docs have had a man-boob growing on his shoulder to create the extra skin to transplant to his chin and neck. It's just a big lump the size of a big potato. He'll be in hospital for 2 - 3 days and out of commission for about 5 weeks, but up and at 'em for the USGP.

I had a couple beers tonight with him and his mom, in town from Perth, Oz, and a couple of his other friends.

And, like the orginal thread starter post I made, I had to ask him if I could post this, and he reluctantly agreed. He isn't into the "woe is me", or "I want attention". Nor does he want sympathy. None of that. Wish him well and just keep him in your thoughts and prayers, okay? He'll be fine, and happy with your encouragement.

Kiwifan
05-16-06, 02:52 AM
Take it easy ya big Aussie! All the best mate and if I drunk beer I'd have one for ya. I'll just have to raise this glass of New Zealand wine then. ;)

Look after him Lizzerd, and thanks mate. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Russell.

Robstar
05-16-06, 03:36 AM
Didn't know you were a sand-groper Cam! (West Australian) :D

Take care mate :)

nz_climber
05-16-06, 03:41 AM
Keep up the good work Cam, and i expect a rude reply to this msg very soon :D

Cam
05-16-06, 05:11 AM
Thanks guys... Heading to Methodist now..... Yes that Methodist.... Hope I don't see anyone "famous".....

chop456
05-16-06, 07:27 AM
Geez - as blubbery as Cam is, you think they could have found some skin somewhere else. ;)

Good luck, Man! Get that drinking jaw in shape!

Spicoli
05-16-06, 07:39 AM
Good luck today Cam. :)

nrc
05-16-06, 08:46 AM
Get well soon, Cam. :thumbup:

emjaya
05-16-06, 09:05 AM
Take care Cam. :)

RaceGrrl
05-16-06, 09:12 AM
I'll be thinking of you today, Cam. Hope all goes well.

IlliniRacer
05-16-06, 09:40 AM
You da man! :thumbup:

Opposite Lock
05-16-06, 10:10 AM
Best wishes, Cam. Mend quickly!

tllips
05-16-06, 10:15 AM
Good Luck Cam!!

JoeBob
05-16-06, 10:22 AM
I'm thinking of ya Cam.

RHR_Fan
05-16-06, 10:41 AM
Best wishes Cam! Hope to see you at RA and I'll grill you that steak we were talking about a few weeks ago. ;) :)

~Nicole

racer2c
05-16-06, 10:45 AM
To a quick recovery! :thumbup:

Ankf00
05-16-06, 11:00 AM
good luck dude :thumbup:

TravelGal
05-16-06, 12:07 PM
Good thoughts. And prayers for the docs. We know YOU will be fine! ;)

Fitti Fan
05-16-06, 12:43 PM
Thinking of you--best of luck today.

G.
05-16-06, 12:47 PM
What they all said! Heal well, Cam.

oddlycalm
05-16-06, 01:12 PM
Hope all goes well Cam.

oc

Dirty Sanchez
05-16-06, 01:39 PM
Get well soon :thumbup:

extramundane
05-16-06, 01:49 PM
Best wishes, man :thumbup:

rabbit
05-16-06, 02:31 PM
To a quick recovery! :thumbup:
Here here!

devilmaster
05-16-06, 07:33 PM
Thinking good thoughts over here.....

:thumbup:

Cam
05-16-06, 08:53 PM
w00t! Heavily drugged up intarweb trollin'! Thanks foir the support. Looks like todayss surgery was a success. My surgeon is very pleased with the outcome. :) :thumbup:

Now I just wanna get outta here! You''d think this place would have dedicated net access too..... But noooooooo...... it's unplug the phone and use fdialup! :rolleyes:

racer2c
05-16-06, 08:58 PM
w00t! Heavily drugged up intarweb trollin'! Thanks foir the support. Looks like todayss surgery was a success. My surgeon is very pleased with the outcome. :) :thumbup:

Now I just wanna get outta here! You''d think this place would have dedicated net access too..... But noooooooo...... it's unplug the phone and use fdialup! :rolleyes:

Good to hear! Pinch a nurse for me. ;)

pfc_m_drake
05-16-06, 09:15 PM
Glad things went well. Hope you heal up real soon.

dando
05-16-06, 09:37 PM
Best wishes, Cam! There's a race this weekend waiting for ya on the other side. :)

-Kevin

SteveH
05-16-06, 09:45 PM
Good news Cam! Better be ready for the USGP. See ya then. :thumbup:

Turn7
05-16-06, 11:38 PM
Good news.

Kiwifan
05-17-06, 01:10 AM
The weathers ok, the wine is poured, I'm waiting, So, where the bloody hell are ya? :) Still in hospital? Come on man, hurry back! ;)

Take care Cam.

Rusty.

nz_climber
05-17-06, 04:50 AM
and you still can't use the keyboard... thought you might of got better with drugs (like keith richards playing guitar) ;)

good hear it went well

nrc
05-17-06, 08:52 AM
Good to see you back to typo'n so quickly. :)

Cam
05-17-06, 09:13 AM
Good to see you back to typo'n so quickly. :)

It aint easy typo'n from the cieling with one hand....

RacinM3
05-17-06, 11:43 AM

Best of luck, Cam! Here's wishing you good health, and an unsecured wireless network in the vicinity of your hospital bed!

Cam
05-17-06, 01:52 PM
w00t! They just moved me to a private room! :D

I can see the pigoda from here! :gomer:

devilmaster
05-17-06, 02:24 PM
w00t! They just moved me to a private room! :D

I can see the pigoda from here! :gomer:

Have you found out where in the hospital the drivers will be hanging out after they crash? ;)

devilmaster
05-17-06, 02:26 PM
Best of luck, Cam! Here's wishing you good health, and an unsecured wireless network in the vicinity of your hospital bed!

And an unsecured nurse's bra strap in your bed :D

Cam
05-17-06, 02:51 PM

There a bunch of radios..... All show up as SSID = "" and security to ! and a padlock! :cry:

ChampcarShark
05-17-06, 04:22 PM
My prayers for your wellbeing.

and for network access too.

Take care CAM.

Anteater
05-17-06, 09:38 PM
Best wishes for a speedy recovery, Cam! :)

RacinM3
05-19-06, 11:48 AM
And an unsecured nurse's bra strap in your bed :D

Yes, this would be better than unsecured wireless.

Cam
06-12-06, 10:04 PM
For those that give a rats patoot..... The hopefully last of the bigger ops is in the morning.....

I am starting to feel like a resident of Methodist.

Heavily drugged trolling may occur by late arvo.... :p

Spicoli
06-12-06, 10:45 PM
For those that give a rats patoot..... The hopefully last of the bigger ops is in the morning.....

go for it dooder. :thumbsup:

RHR_Fan
06-12-06, 10:57 PM

Hope all goes well. :)

~Nicole

dando
06-12-06, 11:04 PM
Best wishes. :thumbup:

See if they can make yer pecker bigger while yer in there. :gomer: ;)

-Kevin

Ankf00
06-12-06, 11:13 PM
do frequent patient points let you upgrade in nurse kwality?

RaceGrrl
06-12-06, 11:27 PM
We give a rat's patoot. Hope things go well, Cam. We'll be thinking of you. :)

Opposite Lock
06-12-06, 11:32 PM
Best of luck, man! :thumbup:

(And just a polite reminder to bring any leftovers to RA for the Super-Happy Pill Exchange. :gomer: )

Lizzerd
06-12-06, 11:33 PM
Give your laptop to a nurse. Tell her to give us cut by cut updates.

Seriously, though, I'll be thinking of ya. Thanks for calling tonight, and your first beer is on me when you get out.

rabbit
06-12-06, 11:39 PM
do frequent patient points let you upgrade in nurse kwality?
http://www.spirithalloween.com/images/spirit/products/processed/00179671.zoom.a.jpg

Night Train
06-12-06, 11:44 PM
I'm rootin' for ya!

SteveH
06-13-06, 12:17 AM
best of luck Cam, hope to hear from you soon :thumbup:

devilmaster
06-13-06, 01:52 AM

Really? Think of it this way..... You became a resident of Methodist and you didn't even have to drive a crapwagon....... ;)

Hope it all continues to go well, my friend.

emjaya
06-13-06, 03:12 AM
I'm rootin' for ya!

Unless you look like the nurse in rabbits post,never say that to an Australian. :gomer: :D

best wishes, Cam. :thumbup:

Kiwifan
06-13-06, 03:59 AM
Nor a Kiwi! ;) (Roots Shoots and Leaves, so they say. Me, I'm a stayer. ) Back to Cam, hope all goes well mate and you're back at the track real soon.

Must be the old Australasian slang that gets us going eh em? Seeing as how we are all fuzzy over the Aussies here do I have to support the Socceroos?? Oh alright, "Aussie! Aussie! Aussie! oi ......nah, just can't do it. :)

Rusty.

pfc_m_drake
06-13-06, 07:05 AM
...give a rats patoot.....
This is embarrassing, but the first time I read that I said to myself "Wait a minute...who's he giving his parrot to? :confused: I wonder if it talks..."

And I do hope all goes well and that you're better soon.

TKGAngel
06-13-06, 08:16 AM
Hope all goes well!

nrc
06-13-06, 10:25 AM
Get back soon, Cam.

Be careful about fiddling with the electronics in your room. You never know what they might be attached to.

G.
06-13-06, 11:03 AM
Let us know how it goes, Cam. :thumbup:

Night Train
06-13-06, 11:22 AM
Well, I've learned something today... ;)

Anyway, best wishes, Cam!!!!