PDA

View Full Version : Ansan track

jonovision_man
07-29-05, 10:59 AM
Haven't seen this here, someone posted it on Atlas...

(Big image, click to view)

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/2876/ansan28nr.jpg

Comments? :) There's a few things I'd change, I'm hoping the artist made the corners look sharper and slower than they are...

Runs counter-clockwise it seems.

jono

chop456
07-29-05, 11:04 AM
Nothing like a chicane in a slow section of track, I always say. :gomer:

devilmaster
07-29-05, 11:05 AM
sorta looks like Long beach....

Insomniac
07-29-05, 11:21 AM
It looks good overall. It's a road course instead of a street circuit. I don't know why I thought it was going to be a street circuit.

eiregosod
07-29-05, 03:26 PM
I wonder what sauces they'll have on offer with the 'dog' :D

Warlock!
07-29-05, 04:32 PM
Don't be fooled... the outside track is FIA spec'd to lure F-1. However, ChampCar gets that smaller track on the inside.

cart7
07-29-05, 05:06 PM
Those chicanes are ridiculous. Otherwise, OK I guess.

skaven
07-29-05, 05:07 PM
Don't be fooled... the outside track is FIA spec'd to lure F-1. However, ChampCar gets that smaller track on the inside.

That would be sweet. I bet we could set up a killer track in the parking lot outside the F1 track as well.

High Sided
07-29-05, 06:02 PM
i would rather see em run the roads around the track, maybe a 1000 miler :gomer:

nrc
07-29-05, 06:24 PM

Are you sure? The champ car track is supposed to be 1.9 miles. That would make that outside track something like 6 miles if the proportions are correct. That looks more like a karting track in the infield.

NismoZ
07-29-05, 06:27 PM
It HAS to be better than San Jose, doesn't it? That should be written into the rule book! (I LIKE those "access" roads on the perimeter though, 4 lanes, high speed...2 heats...one clock-wise, one counter clock-wise...to negate the advantage to Vasser!) I envision 37 yellows on the proposed layout due to all those traps. Be prepared!

L1P1
07-29-05, 07:38 PM
Are there safety vehicles sitting in the kitty litter at chicane #1? Also, the run-off for chicane #2 seems to anticipate a Zanardi-like straightline through the grass and onto the short back-straight - a great place for one end of a pedestrian bridge. :gomer:

ChampCar#3
07-29-05, 10:47 PM
Inside track?....looks like a kart track!...no pits there!
I think CC will be running the main track.
Also like the main ChampCar sign into the track!

Warlock!
08-01-05, 08:57 AM
Are you sure? The champ car track is supposed to be 1.9 miles. That would make that outside track something like 6 miles if the proportions are correct. That looks more like a karting track in the infield.Sorry... forgot the ;)

...and after you did all that scaling. :D

oddlycalm
08-01-05, 02:50 PM
I don't know why I thought it was going to be a street circuit. That's OK, we live in a Roundy Round World where the last great champ car capable road course was built when our grandfathers were in short pants, so we can be forgiven such assumptions... ;)

oc

Dr. Corkski
08-01-05, 03:26 PM
It HAS to be better than San Jose, doesn't it? That should be written into the rule book! (I LIKE those "access" roads on the perimeter though, 4 lanes, high speed...2 heats...one clock-wise, one counter clock-wise...to negate the advantage to Vasser!) I envision 37 yellows on the proposed layout due to all those traps. Be prepared!Racing in the DMZ would still be far better than anything in San Jose.

nrc
08-01-05, 03:50 PM
Sorry... forgot the ;)

...and after you did all that scaling. :D

I was afraid you had confused your ' and " again. :)

Hard Driver
08-01-05, 06:46 PM
Hey, a real road course !!!!!!!

I take any layout if it was actually designed for RACING!

The Doctor
09-07-05, 12:53 PM
Hey, a real road course !!!!!!!

I take any layout if it was actually designed for RACING!

And now they've actually made it better.

http://www.theracing.net/event/mainmap.gif

jonovision_man
09-07-05, 12:58 PM
That's MUCH better, looks much more open with higher speed corners... those S-turns on the back look like they'll flow better too.

"Please engine start! Go Go Go!" :D

(The old one is here (http://www.ansanchampcar.co.kr/layout/about/default/image/car.jpg) )
jono

Gnam
09-07-05, 01:04 PM
Much more interesting. With the longer infield section, what's the final track length?

NismoZ
09-07-05, 01:34 PM
Substitute I-25 for that river and it looks like Denver! (or is that supposed to be the coast?)

cart7
09-08-05, 08:06 PM
I like that new layout better. Thank God they dumped those chicane sections. :thumbup:

pchall
09-09-05, 10:19 AM
Nice pedestrian pathways, but are Koreans polite enough not to shortcut them immediately? You have to admire how design dileneators always assume a well-mannered and docile populous.

In the end, though, I want the race to run on the access roads around the track. :eek:

How do you say "the old Hockenheim" in Korean?

chop456
09-09-05, 12:38 PM
Much better. :thumbup:

NismoZ
09-13-05, 09:09 PM
I wonder what the JoongAng Daily means by "The Champ Car World Grand Prix will be held every five years at Ansan in the future."? :confused:

cameraman
09-14-05, 02:40 AM
I'm wondering about a lot of things....

Speedway ready for world racers

September 14, 2005 ㅡ For the first time, Korea will host a world car racing championship, during a three-day race featuring some of the greatest drivers in the world.
The Champ Car World Series, a second-tier motor festival (the first tier is Formula One), will begin on Oct. 16 in Ansan, Gyeonggi province, the event's co-organizers Ansan city government and Racing Korea announced yesterday.
The Korean event will be the 12th of 14 races that make up the championship this year. Some 20 million people on average around the globe are known to watch the live broadcast of Champ Car, which started in 1979 and is one of the most diverse car-racing series in the world.
The 750-horsepower, turbo-charged race engines designated for use in the championship can propel a car up to 400 kilometers per hour (248 miles per hour). Sebastien Bourdais, from France, is the current points leader after 10 events.
According to the host organizations, the Ansan event will bring together 1,000 participants from 18 nations. Korea has become the sixth nation to host the event, following the United States, Canada, Mexico, Australia and Japan. Champ Car World Grand Prix will be held once every five years in Ansan in the future.
Ansan Speedway, which was built for the race on a total budget of 12 billion won ($11.7 million), covers 357,070 square kilometers with a length of 2.9 kilometers and width of 13 to 18 meters. The installation can accommodate up to 20,000 spectators.
Car racing championships, popular in the United States, Europe and Japan, can attract an audience equal to that of the Olympics or the World Cup, and each event generates economic ripples worth 4 million to 5 million dollars. Ferrari's Michael Schumacher, a professional Formula One racer, earned more than 100 billion won last year.
According to an expert, developed nations are competing to host car racing events because the industry is closely connected to not only the development of motor parts assembly technology, but also to cutting-edge industries such as the aviation and space industry, and can spur overall industrial development in a host country.

As for their fact checking skills:

CCWS is a second tier series. (oh the crappies will be in a tizzy)
we have 248 mph Champ Cars (in the FedEx plane on takeoff)
a 357,070 square kilometer track (which is 88.2 million acres)
20,000 spectator capacity (how will they draw 150,000 in three days?)
a 20 million person TV audience (ten year total perhaps?)
1,000 participants from 18 nations (they have lost me there)
CCWS is running in Japan? (Motegi no doubt :rolleyes: )
The race will be held every five years. (wtf?)

coolhand
09-14-05, 02:56 AM
lol

Car racing championships, popular in the United States, Europe and Japan, can attract an audience equal to that of the Olympics or the World Cup, and each event generates economic ripples worth 4 million to 5 million dollars. Ferrari's Michael Schumacher, a professional Formula One racer, earned more than 100 billion won last year.

how is that relevent?

TravelGal
09-14-05, 03:14 AM
Lordy, what a mess that article is.

To stir the pot a little, perhaps they meant the race would be run once a year for the next five years??? Is there a five-year contract?

NismoZ
09-14-05, 09:21 AM
Exactly, we make fun of the translation gaffes when it suits our sense of humor, but when it comes to the future of our beloved series we tend to misplace that humor. (?) For example I've read the track is planned to accomodate 100,000 fans easily. Geeze, can you imagine how difficult actual life-and-death foreign diplomacy must be?! Still confused, though! :)

pchall
09-14-05, 10:19 AM
I wonder what the JoongAng Daily means by "The Champ Car World Grand Prix will be held every five years at Ansan in the future."? :confused:

Obviously you have never had to do a proficiency test for English with a Korean degree candidate.

NismoZ
09-14-05, 11:43 AM
:D No, most of the Korean kids I worked with were more English proficient than the Townies! :)

Dirty Sanchez
09-14-05, 11:48 AM
I'm sure all the Korean road racing fans will love it :gomer:

Easy
09-14-05, 11:51 AM
What about the Korean event fans?
:)

Steve99
09-14-05, 12:59 PM
my comments in bold

CCWS is a second tier series. (oh the crappies will be in a tizzy)
Hard to argue that CCWS is on the same level as F1. Thanks to Tony's savior complex.
Champ Cars did that every lap at Fontana, plus 400kph is a nice round number
a 357,070 square kilometer track (which is 88.2 million acres)
rofl. damn metric system
20,000 spectator capacity (how will they draw 150,000 in three days?)
dropped a zero perhaps?
a 20 million person TV audience (ten year total perhaps?)
might be for the entire season plus the international audience
1,000 participants from 18 nations (they have lost me there)
???
CCWS is running in Japan? (Motegi no doubt :rolleyes: )
I think this was a historical note. Korea likes to compete with Japan.
The race will be held every five years. (wtf?)
probably means a five year contract

I think part of the article was trying to explain how big motorsports is around the world (big money, business opportunities). Makes me wonder if autoracing isn't popular there.

cameraman
09-14-05, 01:28 PM
Champ Cars did that every lap at Fontana, plus 400kph is a nice round number
In another time and place in a presently unheard-of speedway configuration running engines that were decidedly not limited.
They & everyone else needs to keep the claims in line with current reality.

Steve99
09-14-05, 03:43 PM
In another time and place in a presently unheard-of speedway configuration running engines that were decidedly not limited.
They & everyone else needs to keep the claims in line with current reality.
And every NASCAR broadcast spouts that their cars race at 200mph. Hasn't happened in years, but the marketing seems to be working for them.

Dr. Corkski
09-14-05, 06:08 PM
And every NASCAR broadcast spouts that their cars race at 200mph. Hasn't happened in years, but the marketing seems to be working for them.Right, because we are after the goat worshipping Korean event fans. :gomer:

NismoZ
09-14-05, 07:00 PM
Then who has "the world's best drivers"? Several make that claim. :p