PDA

View Full Version : Zanardi Rolls BMW at SPA During First Practice Lap.

Fio1
07-29-05, 01:18 AM
Alex Zanardi had quite a big accident today in his BMW, crashing on his out lap and rolling the car a few times. He made a driver error, which saw him up-side down for the first time in his race car career. The car is completely wrecked and it remains to be seen if he will be back in the spare for this weekend's touring car races at Spa.

I only found it on an italian site: www.italiaracing.net

chop456
07-29-05, 01:46 AM
"Upside down for the first time in his career".

Apparently his involvement in 2 of the most horrific crashes in recent history weren't quite "good" enough. :rolleyes:

Stupid.

2DB
07-29-05, 08:55 AM
I've always wished I would have studied a second language. I do hope Alex is all right.

Kelvis

Fio1
07-29-05, 08:59 AM
He's fine. In the story he made a point to say that not since karting has he been on his lid....

NismoZ
07-29-05, 06:15 PM
Stupid?...so, define "stupid."...think it's time to quit, in your opinion? You could be right...I'm guessing Alex might still disagree. I'm always reminded of Jim Hurtubise when stories like this surface..."...do the skin grafts on my hands with my fingers curled, so I can grab a steering wheel." Or Mel Kenyon getting USAC to approve the pin/pivot for his missing hand. I'm guessing all 3 of these guys had something in common. Is it stupidity, or something else?

Chitowncartfreak
07-29-05, 06:51 PM
Spa has certainly not been kind to Alex over the years. Glad he is ok.

RacinM3
07-29-05, 07:02 PM
I don't think chop meant Alex was stupid for going back to racing.

Is it stupidity, or something else?

It's most definitely something else. Like any other passion, the passion for driving race cars never goes away, and all drivers fear the day they can't do it anymore, regardless of the level of participation.

chop456
07-30-05, 01:31 AM
I don't think chop meant Alex was stupid for going back to racing.

You're right.

I was referring to their distinction that he landed on his roof this time making it extra special somehow. Apparently those were his words, though.

NismoZ
07-31-05, 12:09 PM
I know, Chop, I was just trying to get some to think about the mentality of true racers, and note the distinction between a sensationalistic press and, as noted, passionate racing drivers.