PDA

View Full Version : Monterey Historics

Winston Wolfe
07-29-05, 12:43 AM
Anyone going this year ?

I just got a wild hair..... y'know.... thought about going up for many years, but always had a family trip, relatives in town, blah, blah, blah...

But this year I want to go up there with another friend who is an enthusiast as well. Tickets seem readily available. Just thinking about doing the Thurs - Sat thing, and coming home on Sunday to avoid the crowds.

Anyone been there before ? Got any suggestions on what to see, what NOT to see ?

And hotels - Checked the corporate type hotels in downtown Monterey, and the Marriott is asking $500 per night, 2 night minimum.

Any suggestions at this late a date ???? Love to hear from someone who might know a few tricks !!!

Thanks

RichK
07-29-05, 12:28 PM
I may be going on Friday, depending on my job.

Staying in Santa Cruz/Aptos/Capitola area is always nice. It's a fun place, and only about 40 minutes from the track. If you are taking kids, the beach boardwalk in Santa Cruz is a good incentive for them to be good at the track!

If you just want a cheap place as close to the track as possible, try Salinas. It's only 15 minutes from the track, but "less than scenic", to put it nicely.

monoposto
08-05-05, 05:22 PM
I'm going too. I'll be doing the whole thing - Concorso Italiano, Historics and Pebble Beach Concours. I'll also be going to the cruise-in Thursday evening at the Baja Cantina in Carmel. There are plenty of other things to do including going to one of those high priced auto auctions.

The best deal money-wise is the Historics. Concorso Italiano and especially Pebble Beach are a bit pricey. The Baja Cantina is free if you don't eat or drink (something which I seem to be incapable of doing).

As far as hotels, it will probably be a problem at this late date. We're staying in Monterey but we've had our rooms reserved since last year.

I know you'll have a good time; it's pretty much a sensory overload for any automotive enthusiast.

Roger