PDA

View Full Version : Lavin driving for HVM

Steve99
07-28-05, 02:39 PM
He is taking the place of Alex Sperafico, with Corona backing. I wonder if the Corona money is enough that we get the good looking Corona car back on the grid for the rest of the season.

Also, Wirdheim's car is going to be gettings some Liqui Moly sponsorship. Get busy in the paintshop! :)

link to speedtv.com story (http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/champcar/18507/)

Dr. Corkski
07-28-05, 03:52 PM
Another reason to FSJ.

coolhand
07-28-05, 03:59 PM
other word is that CDW will be on AJ's Car and Intel on Wilson, with San disk on both cars.

cameraman
07-28-05, 04:08 PM
HVM also has the two construction related San Jose only associate sponsors, the South Bay Plastering Contractors Association and the Bradford White & WHCI pair. A pretty good linkage with the title sponsor for the race.

Cohesive sponsorship packages, who would have thunk....

I'm interested to see some pictures of the HVM cars, it sounds like they will be quite different this week.

KLang
07-28-05, 04:19 PM
Good deal for HVM :thumbup:

I hope the car looks something like the Forsythe car from last year.

Perhaps this will get Corona interested in stepping up for next year.

Paintergeek
07-28-05, 06:21 PM
Cars will carry same livery as they have all season for San Jose. Obviously, expect the stickers to be different, but the paint is the same. Not sure after SJ though............

Jervis Tetch 1
07-29-05, 12:21 AM
:thumbup:

tllips
07-29-05, 08:34 AM
Cars will carry same livery as they have all season for San Jose. Obviously, expect the stickers to be different, but the paint is the same. Not sure after SJ though............

'Geek,

How long does it typically take to repaint a whole new design on one of these cars?

Is this weekends race just too close from the deal to get a new livery designed and painted?

I realize that the deal was probably announced after the cars were enroute to SJ. But how long before announcing the deal was it consummated?

Just curious...

Paintergeek
07-29-05, 06:36 PM
'Geek,

How long does it typically take to repaint a whole new design on one of these cars?

Is this weekends race just too close from the deal to get a new livery designed and painted?

I realize that the deal was probably announced after the cars were enroute to SJ. But how long before announcing the deal was it consummated?

Just curious...

There are so many variables in paint, its hard to give a definitive answer to this question. Among the variables are the colors themselves, how many colors, and how complex the scheme is. (Painting an all red car is much easier and quicker than, say, ours.) It alsp depends on how many people are working on the project, and the condition of the existing paint, and how nice the finished result needs to be.

I my case, I work alone. So, to give you a rough ROUGH ballpark estimate of two extremes.........To repaint a whole car that IS one color and going TO one color and doesnt have to be stripped and is being done by one person and doesnt have to be buffed (eg 'race quality' vs. 'show quality'), maybe 4 days (bustin ass days).

The other end of the extreme is if I had to take a car painted like ours is currently, Strip it, repaint it a multi-colored, complex design (like, say, the fedex car), and quality and perfection is a must, as much as 4 weeks (goin solo).

Earlier this year, I redid the two seater. It had three paint jobs on it, which they wanted stripped. it was only going one color, But it was a really big car and they wanted perfection. It took me 17 actual work days to complete.

Yes, there was simply not enough time to change anything before SJ. But in this case, The order never came down. I dont knowm particulars, but if money comes through and this is full season, Then im sure a change of colors wil follow, probably not designed by us but by the sponsor. We will just have to schedule it when there is enough time to pul it off.

For what its worth, I only knew of the new deal AFTER the trucks left town, and only 48 hrs before seeing it in print.

Hope that helps!

skaven
07-29-05, 07:03 PM
Thanks for the info 'geek. It's always nice to learn as much as possible about what goes on behind the scenes. Glad you're among us. :)

Paintergeek
07-29-05, 09:29 PM
Thanks for the info 'geek. It's always nice to learn as much as possible about what goes on behind the scenes. Glad you're among us. :)

No prob, Glad to share. I actually took photos of a step-by-step process on stripping and painting a set of our sidepods, But never posted them to my site yet. I have allt he info and photos, Just need more effort. Ill letcha know if I ever post it.

Dr. Corkski
07-30-05, 12:14 AM
The wanker reminded everyone by planting the car into the tires at T4. :gomer:

Lizzerd
07-30-05, 12:35 AM
17 days? Damn, dude, I could do it in a day with a couple brushes and a few buckets of paint. You call yourself a professional? :thumdown: :saywhat: :D

nrc
07-30-05, 05:44 PM
Wiggins commented during qualifying that the livery would remain the same but that Lavin will "have his sponsors on the car."

tllips
08-01-05, 11:31 PM
Hope that helps!

Yes, Thanks 'Geek!